How Much Sin-sod Did You Pay?

buddhafly

how much sin-sod did you pay?  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What does Thai culture say about a rich Thai man from Bangkok paying Sin-sod for a girl who worked bar ( ie short time or long time ) or a freelancer? Would his parents be proud or even meet her parents. I doubt it. Please answer this.

Very unlikely to ever happen. Most Thai men especially rich ones, will not marry girls from the bar.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to known so I can respect Thai culture. What does Thai culture say about a rich Thai man from Bangkok paying Sin-sod for a girl who worked bar ( ie short time or long time ) or a freelancer? Would his parents be proud or even meet her parents. I doubt it. Please answer this.

if you have to ask a silly question like that, you know absolutely nothing about thai culture and thailand in general.

Well, I've been away for awhile, although not even one day :o , a lot of posts and a lot of commotion, a lot of crap too.

A guy who walks away or let his gf walk away if sin sot is an item, and still trying to convince us he loved her to pieces eternally... BS, poor guy

Meemiathai, don't let them make you upset, it's not worth it. As I told before you cannot change a donkey into a horse. Once a donkey always a donkey. I remember donkeys having these eye-flaps so they could only look straight forward, how relevant on some posters here.... :D

MS is right on BKK rich men. I think in general there is (in any country) a lot of difference between people in big cities and people in the rest of the country. I have lived a 30 years in a big city and 27 years in the country, I see a huge difference in mentality. BKK is far more westernised than the rest of Thailand (I don't mention tourist areas) and accordingly the mentality is different, harder, more selfish, distant. Probably a rich thai man in BKK would not bother about bargirls, he would marry in his class and have one or more Mia noi...

Joe

A guy who walks away or let his gf walk away if sin sot is an item, and still trying to convince us he loved her to pieces eternally... BS, poor guy

Well as far as I read it he said at the start of the relationship that he didn't agree with sinsod and if she thought it would be a problem she should walk away as he was certainly prepared too.

It's nice to see a farang guy who isn't so scared to ask for some kind of halfway meeting point between his culture and hers. I would guess a lot of members here wouldn't have wives if they had asked the same question so lets not be too harsh on the lad for that particular comment.

MS is right on BKK rich men. I think in general there is (in any country) a lot of difference between people in big cities and people in the rest of the country. I have lived a 30 years in a big city and 27 years in the country, I see a huge difference in mentality. BKK is far more westernised than the rest of Thailand (I don't mention tourist areas) and accordingly the mentality is different, harder, more selfish, distant. Probably a rich thai man in BKK would not bother about bargirls, he would marry in his class and have one or more Mia noi...

Rich or poor, city or rural I don't know any Thai guys that have married girls that have worked in the 'bar', but I guess some of them do. But I think that poster was just having a troll anyways.

excuse me joe,

where do you live as i would like to meet you on my next trip.

cheers :o

It's a tiny little village in Chaiwan District, near Udon Thani.

If you need full address PM me ok?

Cheers mate

Joe

Terry, too much Fosters or Dutch beer? I see no message... :D

Well as far as I read it he said at the start of the relationship that he didn't agree with sinsod and if she thought it would be a problem she should walk away as he was certainly prepared too.

It's nice to see a farang guy who isn't so scared to ask for some kind of halfway meeting point between his culture and hers. I would guess a lot of members here wouldn't have wives if they had asked the same question so lets not be too harsh on the lad for that particular comment.

Rich or poor, city or rural I don't know any Thai guys that have married girls that have worked in the 'bar', but I guess some of them do. But I think that poster was just having a troll anyways.

well i must say maddy,

that the way he has debated subjects today, he must be a troll or lacking in a large amount of brain matter.

at least you have enough brains to throw up a good debate. :o

U too Terence, cheers.

Lefty is a very well trained farang, if it differs from what his MIL and wife told him then it's without a doubt completly wrong. There's more than a few like that in this country. :o

If he had the capacity to think for himself then I would imagine this website would be censored from his use. :D

U too Terence, cheers.

Lefty is a very well trained farang, if it differs from what his MIL and wife told him then it's without a doubt completly wrong. There's more than a few like that in this country. :o

If he had the capacity to think for himself then I would imagine this website would be censored from his use. :D

cricky's maddy,

i hope we are on the same page here as im talking about a certain poster, and its not our friend who lives in a small village near udon thani. :D

not me, the mother in law, but i guess you cant really call her a thai expert seeing as she is thai and has never left the place!

better to take the work of some old bald farang with a ''countryside'' wife :D

She probably realises her son- in- law is a tight wad, so is saying that to try and save face all round :D

Got to agree with you on this one, Jack. Exactly what was in my mind.

Agreed, it's obvious the family believe in Sinsod as earlier Leftcross quoted his girlfriend as saying no sinsod might be a problem with the family. I guess his girlfriend knew their position on it. :D

Can only assume that his Mother in law tried to save his face. Lefty didn't even notice being such a well trained farang husband, the type who only gets 'Thai culture' advice from the wife and the MIL :o.

actually if you read what i wrote you will see you have completely misunderstood what i was saying.

1 - i said to my gf i wouldnt pay a sinsod

2 - she said that didnt bother her.

3 - but, knowing how thai girls often agree with what you are saying to avoid confrontation i was prepared to meet her family and for them to disagree and demand one.

4 - i met the folks and the mother-in-law said 'we are not isaan we dont want a sinsod'

strange how many posters on here fail to acknowledge there are many different ways in thailand. i would just say to people thinking of getting married that you should folow your instinct on this one. i wasnt prepared to pay one under any circumstances.

Edited by leftcross

She said it might bother her family though.
4 - i met the folks and the mother-in-law said 'we are not isaan we dont want a sinsod'

Which is suprising because she must have known her family wouldn't want a Sinsod anyway because they are not from Issan, (which is a silly explanation anyway to anyone who knew anything). I think she made up the 'we are not from issan' story to save you a bit of face Lefty. :o

I guess the only other reason your MIL gave you this knowingly false information is because they are setting you up for the long term scam and trying to gain your trsut. Beware of any future land purchases Lefty and especially if they are followed by the lines 'Oh don't worry, it's perfectly safe for you own the land, we are not from Issan.' whistling:

Edited by bkkmadness

Dowry is a matter of bargaining and supply- and- demand.

I believe it’s the best for both parties to come to an agreement and deal they can live with.

Below are a few tips the Western foreign man should know which should lower the dowry or eliminate it totally.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

-Sex before marriage and the public know

-Pregnant before marriage

-Divorced or kids from previous relationship

U too Terence, cheers.

mr bkk, the topic is sin sod and i am very happily married to a thai girl. i have related my experiences on the subject in relation to the topic of the thread.

i could relate tales of acquaintances who married bar girls (who already had kids) and paid a sin sod. i know people who have paid for a wife despite the fact she was an uneducated farm girl whose prospects in life were absolutely zero.

if farang men want to do this then up to them. no doubt some need to add cash to the equation to make sure they get a partner. poverty is such an aphrodisiac after all.

you certainly have a lot to say, yet i never read that you were married? if so, why are you commenting on this thread....

many posters on here disagree with me, yet the poll says more than half didnt pay a sin sod.

my view is one view among many. it isnt any more, or less, valid than anyone elses. but then i havent got anything to hide, while many of the posters on this site probably have.

the sanctamonious attitudes are a poor effort to cover some unsavoury tracks.

She said it might bother her family though.
Which is suprising because she must have known her family wouldn't want a Sinsod anyway because they are not from Issan, (which is a silly explanation anyway to anyone who knew anything). I think she made up the 'we are not from issan' story to save you a bit of face Lefty. :o

I guess the only other reason your MIL gave you this knowingly false information is because they are setting you up for the long term scam and trying to gain your trsut. Beware of any future land purchases Lefty and especially if they are followed by the lines 'Oh don't worry, it's perfectly safe for you own the land, we are not from Issan.' whistling:

oh dear, how many more times??? she didnt say it might bother her family. she said it would be ok. but i realise thai girls sometimes tell little half-truths to avoid confrontation. i was prepared for the parents' viewpoint to be different when i met them.

yes you are right, she made up the 'we are not isaan' bit. i should have realised they werent really from chiang rai (despite the fact i met them there) when they all turned up on buffalos then drank lao kho non-stop before munching through some str-fried stick insects they had in their pockets.

are you married to a thai girl bkk? do you actually have anything relevant to say on the topic of this thread?

I believe it’s the best for both parties to come to an agreement and deal they can live with.

Below are a few tips the Western foreign man should know which should lower the dowry or eliminate it totally.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

-woman is an ex-prostitute

-Western man hasn't got a pot to piss in

...and then you've got a pretty good idea of why Lefty paid no sinsot.

:o

I'm not married Lefty, but can still comment on this thread. I've seen you commenting more than a few times on for example online dating threads but have never used one so what's the difference?

You've related your experiences and put forward some foolish ideas as well. People have questioned those statements, which as usual you ignore.

For example 'sinsod = prostitution' how do you relate that if the sinsod is given back to the man?

Have prostitutes started paying back money now after the service is over? Or only if they achieve orgasm too? :o

not me, the mother in law, but i guess you cant really call her a thai expert seeing as she is thai and has never left the place!

She probably realises her son- in- law is a tight wad, so is saying that to try and save face all round :D

Agreed, it's obvious the family believe in Sinsod as earlier Leftcross quoted his girlfriend as saying no sinsod might be a problem with the family. I guess his girlfriend knew their position on it. :D

Can only assume that his Mother in law tried to save his face. Lefty didn't even notice being such a well trained farang husband, the type who only gets 'Thai culture' advice from the wife and the MIL :o.

actually if you read what i wrote you will see you have completely misunderstood what i was saying.

3 - but, knowing how thai girls often agree with what you are saying to avoid confrontation i was prepared to meet her family and for them to disagree and demand one.

strange how many posters on here fail to acknowledge there are many different ways in thailand. i would just say to people thinking of getting married that you should folow your instinct on this one. i wasnt prepared to pay one under any circumstances.

Ain't that the truth!

:D

Some of posters here that think that they are "experts" should read your post twice.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

Add to that that some families and Thai girls will accept also a westerners culture and not demand one for the right of marrying their daughter.

If I was to marry my girlfriend Sinsod would not be expected either, and I doubt I would pay one. I respect the people that have taken up that part of Thai culture but personally find the whole thing about showing money to improve someones 'face' and to 'give them respect' pretty stupid/crass.

Lefty, I think you might be right about the family thing, I back read your post and didn't see that so maybe I got the wrong idea, and a big enough man to admit it too. Well big enough to say 'maybe' anyways. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

do you live in bkk? if so i would like to meet you. please pm with your details.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

do you live in bkk? if so i would like to meet you. please pm with your details.

Strike a nerve, Lefty? Did you puff up your chest when you typed that?

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

yes it did. say what you like about me but you have crossed the line calling my wife, and the mother of my child, a prostitute.

if we were in a bar i would have knocked you straight out, as any right thinking man would.

but we are not. ive sent you a pm and i suggest we continue this off the board. thanks.

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

It was rude and uncalled for.He has every right to want to meet you.Another person that is a keyboard warrior,that thinks that personal insults are ok.

Can only assume that his Mother in law tried to save his face. Lefty didn't even notice being such a well trained farang husband, the type who only gets 'Thai culture' advice from the wife and the MIL :o .

Ain't that the truth!

Some of posters here that think that they are "experts" should read your post twice.

Ok let's make it clear what is happening here:

55% didn't pay sin sot or don't admit it

45% paid sin sot

Of these 45% I think I read 1 (one) guy not totally happy with it.

That means that more than 97% of the paying posters are happy with what they did!

More important: those 45% (the payers) did not insult or ciritise the non-payers for not paying, the red line is: if you don't want to pay, don't pay.

On the other hand a bunch of non-payers (and know-it-alls) insulted and critised the payers, I don't have to recall any insult, it's all here in this thread.

Why guys?

We don't say you're stupid to not pay, why you say it's stupid to pay?

We say and it's a fact, that sin sot is a thai tradition in their culture for hundreds of years, far more Thai men pay sin sot than a handful of farangs. You guys say you don't accept it, you are farang and no matter you live in a host country, you do what you used to do at home and everybody who does not is stupid (just to name one word).

If you don't want to accept thai culture, fine, up to you. But don't critisise those who have enough level and manners to adapt to the culture and tradition of the country they live in.

Respect guys. We respect your decision to not pay, please respect our decision to pay and follow thai culture and tradition. We did it voluntarily, we don't regret it and we were not scammed. There are stories of scams, absolutely, but as someone mentioned, you get what you are yourself. On top a couple of scams doesn't mean it's general, right?

It might be a good idea to close this thread as no one will contribute new visions I'm afraid.

Joe

-Not to pretty/popular

-Past her prime

Add to those:

yes it did. say what you like about me but you have crossed the line calling my wife, and the mother of my child, a prostitute.

if we were in a bar i would have knocked you straight out, as any right thinking man would.

but we are not. ive sent you a pm and i suggest we continue this off the board. thanks.

You are quite rightly upset. But before you start throwing stones, I suggest that you look at your own posts .

I think that you have offended many people by what you have said, particularly those who are married to Isaan girls.

i didnt pay a single satang. i made it clear from the very outset of the relationship that i would not pay a sinsod.

when it came down to meeting her parents the mum said 'we are not isaan we don't want a sinsod'. they are from the north.

her dad said that he expected me to look after his daughter for the rest of her life and that would be enough. he said to keep all of my money to help us start our life together as man and wife.

i was fully prepared to walk away if they had insisted on it as i would not want to pay for a wife the same a man pays for a prostitute.

it is the completely wrong premise to start a marriage.

From your first post clever boy. All who pay are insulted by your waords as you call their wives prostitutes!!!

Remember what you wrote before accusing others!

Joe

Respect guys. We respect your decision to not pay, please respect our decision to pay and follow thai culture and tradition. We did it voluntarily, we don't regret it and we were not scammed. There are stories of scams, absolutely, but as someone mentioned, you get what you are yourself. On top a couple of scams doesn't mean it's general, right?

Joe

Eh? So you are saying that the blokes that got scammed had it comming?