Military May Seize Thaksin's Assets Following Bomb Attacks

george

What is suspicious about the entire scenario is:

The rapidity of pointing the finger of blame and freezing assets of Thaksin without proof.

The low-yield and rudimentary nature of the devices. (designed to cause panic, terror and awareness but not ultimately to wreak major casualties or destruction of vital infrastructure)

The (posted elsewhere) announcement that the current Gov had indications that there were going to be some type of disruption of the New Year's events (even knowing that there would be b*mbs) and yet not a single party has taken responsibility or announced its intentions, demands or message.

The destruction and obfuscation of vital forensic evidence during a criminal investigation.

The lack of any call for public support to assist in the gathering of information via an anonymous tip hotline or reward allowance for solving the crimes.

If I were Oliver Stone I might say that there is a conspiracy afoot. :D

Else it was just some hooligan's idea of a deadly prank. :o

Destruction of forensic evidence was done by the Police NOT army.

Thaksin is EX Police. Thaksin still has influential friends and cronies in authority including the Police. This was something that Chuan Leekpai was commenting on.

Why put a call out for gathering information? They already know who did it. Do you not think that there is information that has not been revealed to the public.

They already had the information that disruptions including bombs were going to take place on New Years Eve, they just didnt know where.

No party has taken responsibility!!! What do you expect, that Thaksin or his supporters are going to own up to it???? Come on you cant see the wood for the trees :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rapidity of pointing the finger of blame and freezing assets of Thaksin without proof.

The low-yield and rudimentary nature of the devices. (designed to cause panic, terror and awareness but not ultimately to wreak major casualties or destruction of vital infrastructure)

The (posted elsewhere) announcement that the current Gov had indications that there were going to be some type of disruption of the New Year's events (even knowing that there would be b*mbs) and yet not a single party has taken responsibility or announced its intentions, demands or message.

The destruction and obfuscation of vital forensic evidence during a criminal investigation.

The lack of any call for public support to assist in the gathering of information via an anonymous tip hotline or reward allowance for solving the crimes.

The assets aren,t frozen yet.

For some reason a lot of your post rings a bell in the other direction if you look back pre coup days and some of it is hyprocitically relevant and applicable to you know who.

I,ll give you a clue he is RUMOURED to be in CHINA

The master of deceipt and non ethical deception.

marshbags :D

At any rate I think we can comfortably call Osama Bin Thaksin by his new name now.

Based on what?

Well just thinking he seemed to have a thing about car bombs not to too far back, and his personality type is to never lose and use whatever strong arm method to get what he wants. He can’t come here to mess with people directly at the moment, Isaan has had a series of violent events after the coup tied to the TRT and indirectly him. Like the other Osama he is always far from the whatever when it happens. I think it is a fair connection.

Destruction of forensic evidence was done by the Police NOT army.

Thaksin is EX Police. Thaksin still has influential friends and cronies in authority including the Police. This was something that Chuan Leekpai was commenting on.

Why put a call out for gathering information? They already know who did it. Do you not think that there is information that has not been revealed to the public.

They already had the information that disruptions including bombs were going to take place on New Years Eve, they just didnt know where.

No party has taken responsibility!!! What do you expect, that Thaksin or his supporters are going to own up to it???? Come on you cant see the wood for the trees :D

OK, JnD, you got me. :D

I have often been unable to see my wood for the underbrush but that is a matter of personal grooming better left for another thread.

Color me green as an unripened Mango for not grasping the obvious.

Since you have such a firm understanding of the situation please share with me and the rest of those rather clueless neophytes the rationale and reasoning for the attacks.

I guess the last unanswered question I have is...

WHY? :D

This is not the work of Thaksin.

This is a third party.

There will be a counter coup soon.

Got any proof to back this claim?

Disturbing the peace and making the current gov look bad could be beneficial to Toxin's side. Enlighten those of us who merely think of logical arguments as to who would benefit from the current state of affairs oh wise one. :o

keep your heads down lads and lasses. lets all go to laos and vietnam :D

Edited by sanook1

I am surprised that the Military coup leaders haven't seized Thaskins assets immediately following the successful coup.

One needs to render ones foes harmless in one way or another. Thaskin and his croney's have way too much money and influence to spread around. Take away their power both the visable and invisable power, if you want this new government to suceed.

I believe that the new military government has been way too generous and easygoing up until now. In my opinion, they need to clamp down and clamp down hard.

Regardless, what we farangs think, is really unimportant, as we are only guests in this country. Thailand needs to decide for itself how it wants to shape itself as a Nation.

Most of us are here, because we love Thailand and it's freedoms, so lets let Thai people do their job in governing this beautiful country. In the meantime, we can concentrate on the important things in life, like eating good food, drinking good beer and all the other good things that Thailand has to offer for us.

I don't know much about the new government, but just the fact that Bush doesn't like them, makes me love the new government. Anything that Bush doesn't like must be good ;-)

I know it,s Chistmas time and all that.

If you believe Thaksin ISN,T connected in some way either directly or as a third party then you must also think Father Christmas is real.

The muslims are being discredited to deflect the real culprits as time will tell so forget it.

They are conveniently used to distract the political under currents purposely started to smoke screen implicating the old govenment and their supporters for these dispicable incidents.

Once again innocent people being used as human collatera.l

They should sieze ALL the money held in Thailand Kamoy Thaksin hasn,t earned by HONEST endeavors and let him keep what,s left.

There,s a good word for you Thaksin, it,s a pity it hasn,t got the true meaning you think it has, in fact it,s the opposite, you got mixed up and meant DIS HONEST MISTAKE, yes we know what you really meant so don,t worry.

Let him also prove that his intentions towards Thai society aren,t for self interest and if not and he genuinely cares then............................................................

Keep the F### away and begrudgingly enjoy what you have illicitly acquired, otherwise you WILL live to regret it in my humble opinion.

To say the present government are involved as certain posters suggest is a load of <deleted> and a joke.

P.S.

My M.Ban was 100% Thaksin and anyone who thinks the support is still here in my patch of the N.East should have listened to the conversations about him now.

You cannot fool all the people all the time and he is resented more than you would have believed and would certainly have enlightened you.

Their main subject by the way was the new airport and a list as long as your arm on the implications and mass corruption.

The bombings only got a few comments due to the timing and not to much detail.

I agree as usual marshbags.

One interesting statement in todays Bangkok Post made by Thaksin through his "lawyer"

He denied involvement, but instead of decrying the violence or coming out with something along the lines of not wanting to see anyone injured or killed.........He came out with a revealing statement, one which all you doubters should look at and understand where Thaksin is coming from. I cannot reveal it verbatum but it went along the lines of...." why would I do something like that when I was elected by the majority of people in Thailand to form their Government"

In other words he is once again stirring the pot up. He is out of sight but not out of mind. He is pulling strings behind the scenes and I really do fear the worst. Thaksin will not give up. I think the best thing they can do is let him come back to Thailand and let nature run its course. I would give him 48hrs before a bullet ended his existence :o

"Thaksin strongly rejects the allegations and said that his government, which came from the people, would not hurt its people," Noppadon Pattama said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/02...es_30023093.php

Doesn't really matter who was behind the bombing. The CNS will ensure the appropriate "spin" implicates Thaksin to their benefit. Any incidents such as these favour those currently holding power.

If the CNS is really battling subversive elements of the Thaksin regime it has more than enough power under martial law to round up anyone it wants to. The media, whether at the behest of the CNS or not, has done sufficient to discredit Thaksin and TRT. CNS doesn't need to use bombs. Which brings us back to the big question of who and why.

Not the CNS, no need.

Maybe Thaksin, or if not himself directly, then connected third parties trying to destabilise the CNS.

Or possibly, a trial run of a Bangkok bombing campaign by southern insurgents.

Or worse still, Islamic extremists from outside Thailand praticing for a Bali style bombing somewhere in Thailand. If this is the scenario, you can say goodbye to Patpong, Nana or Cowboy sometime soon.

First that came to my mind after reading the headline was:

Well maybe some former Thaksin business partner who is afraid that Thaksin will pull out his money - because he can't do business anymore in Thailand - and ruin him. So better to knock out his old squarehead "friend" and protect his investment.

Thaksin had a lot of this guys around him who don't give a shit about a few innocent dead people.

Maybe this is a direction the police should check and not Thaksin himself, i don't believe he has anything to do with it.

The assets aren,t frozen yet.

For some reason a lot of your post rings a bell in the other direction if you look back pre coup days and some of it is hyprocitically relevant and applicable to you know who.

I,ll give you a clue he is RUMOURED to be in CHINA

The master of deceipt and non ethical deception.

He is in China (as of a couple of days ago) staying in a super exclusive golf retreat.. Membership starts at a 1/4 mil USD or thereabouts.

Mate was there a week or so ago (working his budget doesnt quite make the members list)..

He is in China (as of a couple of days ago) staying in a super exclusive golf retreat.. Membership starts at a 1/4 mil USD or thereabouts.

Mate was there a week or so ago (working his budget doesnt quite make the members list)..

Do you know where that was in China since it's 0 to -8C in Beijing and a bit cold for golf.....

LaoPo

Doesn't really matter who was behind the bombing. The CNS will ensure the appropriate "spin" implicates Thaksin to their benefit. Any incidents such as these favour those currently holding power.

If the CNS is really battling subversive elements of the Thaksin regime it has more than enough power under martial law to round up anyone it wants to. The media, whether at the behest of the CNS or not, has done sufficient to discredit Thaksin and TRT. CNS doesn't need to use bombs. Which brings us back to the big question of who and why.

Not the CNS, no need.

Maybe Thaksin, or if not himself directly, then connected third parties trying to destabilise the CNS.

Or possibly, a trial run of a Bangkok bombing campaign by southern insurgents.

Or worse still, Islamic extremists from outside Thailand praticing for a Bali style bombing somewhere in Thailand. If this is the scenario, you can say goodbye to Patpong, Nana or Cowboy sometime soon.

In 3 words S.M. , YES IT DOES

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

I highly doubt that Mr. T has much of his assets in Thailand (or in his own name). I am sure his fortune is well protected elsewhere. Secondly, I don't think he would be behind these efforts--if they catch one bomber it could too easily lead back to him.

The thing is, he was poised to win an election again. It's not wise to have that many supporters of his unhappy.

Sorry, I should have been clearer: "Doesn't really matter speculating who was behind the bombing."

My point is that whoever the CNS thinks (or knows) is responsible, publicly the CNS will:

A. deny any responsibility themselves,

B. deny it is southern insurgents (making a statement like "it couldn't be the southern insurgents because they would get lost in Bangkok" is pathetic,

C. strenuously deny it could be the responsibility of any international group such as Jemiah Islamiya or Al Q'aeda (want to see tourists disappear faster than a truck driver after an accident ?),

which leaves only two possibilities, both internal to Thailand:

A. a person/group who wants to create political instability in Thailand (could be pro-Thaksin/TRT or any anti-CNS group: pro-democracy group, police, army faction, could Singapore have a gruudge regarding the Temasek debacle ? etc.), or

B. a person/group who has no political motive and just wants to cause public disturbance.

Since a well co-ordinated series of 8 bombs seems to rule out B above, by elimination that leaves A, which could describe a number of groups, incliding JI and Al Q'aeda, however unlikely, and pro-Thaksin/TRT groups as well as others, depending on how wide a net you want to cast.

Which group does the CNS benefit most from blaming ? Branding opposition as "terrorists" has been well demonstrated as an effective political tool, most recently by the United States and allies, but also here in Thailand previously (communists) and elsewhere. If the CNS has no clue who is behind the bombings, their best (but not only) option at this point of time is to blame Thaksin, as any other plausible scenario, especially a scenario involving players external to Thailand would be more destabilising for the CNS and extremely damaging to Thailand than blaming pro-Thaksin. Hard to blame it on B (the non-political bomber) as it's simply not a credible explanation.

Sure it's possible the CNS staged the bombings themselves, but with martial law at their disposal and coming civil/criminal legal cases against Thaksin and his helpers I just don't see how the CNS could benefit. Surely by now the CNS have other means at their disposal to slander Thaksin's reputation further. Although I would expect the CNS to blame Thaksin whoever they knew to be responsible, it seems to me Thaksin is also the most logical and likely choice as well.

Edited by sibeymai

5K is enough to get some guy shoot another one dead. Life comes cheap over here!!

Private Dancer is just a novel, not the Bible !....at least I hope.... :D

Even though I have read the book, I wasnt referring to it. I think anyone having lived here for any period of time would concur with the statement I made :o

I am surprised that the Military coup leaders haven't seized Thaskins assets immediately following the successful coup.

One needs to render ones foes harmless in one way or another. Thaskin and his croney's have way too much money and influence to spread around. Take away their power both the visable and invisable power, if you want this new government to suceed.

I believe that the new military government has been way too generous and easygoing up until now. In my opinion, they need to clamp down and clamp down hard.

Regardless, what we farangs think, is really unimportant, as we are only guests in this country. Thailand needs to decide for itself how it wants to shape itself as a Nation.

Most of us are here, because we love Thailand and it's freedoms, so lets let Thai people do their job in governing this beautiful country. In the meantime, we can concentrate on the important things in life, like eating good food, drinking good beer and all the other good things that Thailand has to offer for us.

I don't know much about the new government, but just the fact that Bush doesn't like them, makes me love the new government. Anything that Bush doesn't like must be good ;-)

The current dictators were unable to seize Thaksins assets because it was illegal for them to do so. The people responsible for the shady tax deals could be prosecuted perhaps...but the laws at the time covered Thaksin.

The dictators now are trying to create a way to get the money, at the cost of innocent peoples lives.

The current dictators were unable to seize Thaksins assets because it was illegal for them to do so. The people responsible for the shady tax deals could be prosecuted perhaps...but the laws at the time covered Thaksin.

The dictators now are trying to create a way to get the money, at the cost of innocent peoples lives.

After a coup the government could have written a law or two enabling them to seize the assets of anyone they wanted. They chose not to. There are curently a number of cases going through the legal system, which may or may not lead to fines or money seizure. We must be patient and await the outcome.

One legal option open to most governments is to freeze the assets or some of the assets of those on trial for suspected corruption or other crimes. To date the current government have opted to not do this and have come under quite a lot of criticism inside Thailand for not doing so.

At the moment there is no result to the investigation of the bombings, so I would be interested to know where you got your evidence of who did it. By the way that theory has very takers among the Thai people that I have spoken to.

What I find truly amazing is that with the military in control, they were able to plant and explode this number of devices without anyone being caught. That's very unusual. A lot of people around and someone had to have seen something. Someone has to know something.

This took more than a few low level, hired motorcycle taxi drivers to plant these bombs.

What I find truly amazing is that with the military in control, they were able to plant and explode this number of devices without anyone being caught. That's very unusual. A lot of people around and someone had to have seen something. Someone has to know something.

This took more than a few low level, hired motorcycle taxi drivers to plant these bombs.

How easy can it be to spot a few bombers in a city of let's say ten million? On new years eve! :o

What indicators are there that this was not Thaksin/TRT's doing....and that the present people in power did this? Several come to mind...

1. The media are becoming increasingly brave in their criticism of the junta and the retired Generals who were appointed the frontment. The rpesent regime has taken several bad steps lately that have shaken public and media confidence. The media are demanding in a louder and louder voice "why was the coup necessary?" - The guys running the show now needed to 're-assert' that Thaksin and his friends are a clear and present 'danger' to Thailand. (In other words, no Weapons of Mass Destruction - so other excuses need to be found - it buys some time).

2. There were rumours Thaksin would come back to Thailand to defend himself in court actions. That was the last thing the present regime wanted since Thaksin's presence in Thailand would be a direct challenge to them and could embolden Thaksin supporters. His return is almost certainly impossible now.

3. Only small devices were used (apparently military items like grenades) instead of fertilizer explosives that do real damage, are easy to make, and cause mass casualties. Real terrorists would have chosen the latter. Thaksin's guys would have chosen military targets (see next point).

4. Several targets were police boxes. There is a split between the military and police. Even though the police had a representative on the Military Council during the coup, he was quickly sidelined by the CNS. The police are not trusted by the army, many police are seen to be Thaksin supporters, and thus they were chosen as soft targets.

5. Tourists weren't really targeted. If someone wanted to damage Thailand's economy they would have chosen the BTS, Khao San Road or Soi Cowboy, Nana, Phuket etc - but 'no' they chose a bus stop at Victory Monument, Saphan Kwai and Nonthaburi.

6. The attacks were coordinated, and all of the devices exploded on time, without being discovered. The military is trained in logistics - it's what they do best.

7. No one has been "caught", and when they do "catch" someone - you watch - it will be 'announced' that the suspects had links to TRT.

What indicators are there that this was not Thaksin/TRT's doing....and that the present people in power did this? Several come to mind...

1. The media are becoming increasingly brave in their criticism of the junta and the retired Generals who were appointed the frontment. The rpesent regime has taken several bad steps lately that have shaken public and media confidence. The media are demanding in a louder and louder voice "why was the coup necessary?" - The guys running the show now needed to 're-assert' that Thaksin and his friends are a clear and present 'danger' to Thailand. (In other words, no Weapons of Mass Destruction - so other excuses need to be found - it buys some time).

2. There were rumours Thaksin would come back to Thailand to defend himself in court actions. That was the last thing the present regime wanted since Thaksin's presence in Thailand would be a direct challenge to them and could embolden Thaksin supporters. His return is almost certainly impossible now.

3. Only small devices were used (apparently military items like grenades) instead of fertilizer explosives that do real damage, are easy to make, and cause mass casualties. Real terrorists would have chosen the latter. Thaksin's guys would have chosen military targets (see next point).

4. Several targets were police boxes. There is a split between the military and police. Even though the police had a representative on the Military Council during the coup, he was quickly sidelined by the CNS. The police are not trusted by the army, many police are seen to be Thaksin supporters, and thus they were chosen as soft targets.

5. Tourists weren't really targeted. If someone wanted to damage Thailand's economy they would have chosen the BTS, Khao San Road or Soi Cowboy, Nana, Phuket etc - but 'no' they chose a bus stop at Victory Monument, Saphan Kwai and Nonthaburi.

6. The attacks were coordinated, and all of the devices exploded on time, without being discovered. The military is trained in logistics - it's what they do best.

7. No one has been "caught", and when they do "catch" someone - you watch - it will be 'announced' that the suspects had links to TRT.

Without wanting to speculate on who did it, I think that to divide it into Thaksin and present government is too simplistic. Both groups have different factions and both have quite influential and powerful people and both include military officers. It would be quite possible for a section of either group to have done it without the rest of the group either being involved or even knowing.

There is one thing that I have learned about understanding what Thaksin says. To understand the truth just reverse what he says. So if he says he no he means yes. Go back an look at the countless threads on him and the proof will be there in front of you. That is the only constant about Thaksin that I have seen. Here seems no different, he was part of it if he says he was not, if he condemns it he applauds it.

There is one thing that I have learned about understanding what Thaksin says. To understand the truth just reverse what he says. So if he says he no he means yes. Go back an look at the countless threads on him and the proof will be there in front of you. That is the only constant about Thaksin that I have seen. Here seems no different, he was part of it if he says he was not, if he condemns it he applauds it.

How true. Once a liar...

Edited by Tony Clifton

Anyone who has done any banking here will know just how un confidential they are. your account transactions are easily available to anyone important who wants to know (including my wife).

Ergo the naughty boys billions (if they still reside within these shores) will be closely monitored for unusual payments in the past and present. So the prospect of serious funding from within going unnoticed is negligible.

Equally you cant have large amounts of cash lying around (someone will steal it TIT). Nominee accounts, would have been well covered by now - particularly unusually rich housemaids and relatives.

When money is traded for violence, the originators are identified sooner or later. Low life talks

We are not dealing with fanatics who are not motivated by money. If its true this is a power struggle with money at the root of it all.

So watch the money trail, not rocket science

What I find truly amazing is that with the military in control, they were able to plant and explode this number of devices without anyone being caught.

Martial law in Bangkok has been lifted long ago, troops are in their barracks.

Perhaps it would have been more difficult to plant the bombs if there were still on the streets, but in that case some posters here would go complately berserk.

Troops patrolling the streets - bad. Troops go back and the streets are taken over by bombers - bad.

People just can't make up their minds.

What I find truly amazing is that with the military in control, they were able to plant and explode this number of devices without anyone being caught.

Martial law in Bangkok has been lifted long ago, troops are in their barracks.

Perhaps it would have been more difficult to plant the bombs if there were still on the streets, but in that case some posters here would go complately berserk.

Troops patrolling the streets - bad. Troops go back and the streets are taken over by bombers - bad.

People just can't make up their minds.

Think again. Three armed squadies were patrolling my Soi this morning. I stand by what I have said above. I think many of my predictions and those of others are now happening. Since I like living here - it's time to go quiet again.

Edited by thaigene2