France's economy minister tells Britain - 'We want our money back'

webfact

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, CutiePi said:

When May sends the check, she will also send back the tonnes of EU nuclear waste the UK has accepted for reprocessing...that will shut Junker up quick!

Any idea what we get as a result of the reprocessing? It begins with a P.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reprocessing

Also, check the countries that also undertake reprocessing. 

We should remain part of Eurstom.

Edited by Grouse

27 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

It's not a claim is it's a fact. In both Wars, we stood with France before anyone else.If we had not I doubt the US would have involved themselves in either war

??? Seriously???? You are still discounting the role of the  Dominion forces  in both wars? Have you no idea of the sacrifice those   countries made to keep the UK safe? Are you even aware that after the   catastrophe  at Dunkirk, the only fully equipped  & trained military standing between full invasion and defeat at the hands of the Germans were the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand  units.   The freedom of the UK  was made possible  because of the presence of the combined 40,000 personnel from the Australian 18th & 25th Infantry Brigades, New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Canadian 1st Infantry Division  and 2nd & 3rd Infantry Brigades.

The UK's  military was in a shambles: Untrained, no equipment  and of the equipment  available, much was obsolete or in bad shape.The UK  could only put 250,000 equipped quasi trained personnel in the field, which was not enough to defend the island.

Ever hear of  December 7, 1941 (December 8 in Japan)?Japan attacked the  UK by invading Hong Kong and Malaya and the USA naval base at Pearl Harbor. The USA entered the war after that.

I can understand now why so many Australians and Canadians have such a dislike for the UK. Before criticizing the French, deal own lack of appreciation for the sacrifice of the Dominions.

Edited by geriatrickid

I'll tell you something, it's clear to me that the teaching of History in U.K. Schools is lamentable. So much misunderstanding of our history particularly the last century. This is what happens when you have teacher's unions calling the shots. I dropped history in favour of pure maths at age 14 but I can read!

Some of the statements made on here are laughably incorrect and go someway to explaining the mess we're in now.

BTW, counting pennies is NOT always the route to future prosperity. Where is the vision? The pursuit of excellence? Not in Whitehall ?

Let the EU present our account for review. We can then respond.

No you didn't. You can thank the volunteers from Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other "Dominions" for that. The two decisive  battles that  changed the course of the war were Amiens and the 2nd  Battle of the Somme. At Amiens, the Australian Corps and Canadian Corps delivered decisive thrusts against the Germans. Combined with British and French attacks and supported by  the  Americans, the Germans were  decimated. 
At the 2nd battle of the Somme the heroic Australian Corps crossed the Somme and pushed the Germans back to the Hindenburg line. The New Zealand units  made decisive  captures. The Australian victory terrified  German's remaining allies and they started  suing for peace.

Yes,  great Britain played a key role and the world owes heroes  Sir Winston and   Sir Arthur Harris an infinite debt of gratitude, and must never forget the suffering and damage incurred by Great Britain   but this does not  justify the two above awful claims.

Yes I am well aware of the sacrifices of the British Colonials in both world wars without which we would have stood no chance. Think we have drifted off the point though from the original post which was about the EUs payment demands.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

How about we take out the cost of liberating your country from the Nazis

I think you will find that the Americans actually did most of that,no way Britain could have launched d-day on it's own,and the Americans sustained far higher casualties on that day.

4 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I think you will find that the Americans actually did most of that,no way Britain could have launched d-day on it's own,and the Americans sustained far higher casualties on that day.

Yes we will be eternally grateful for the help of the Americans, and everybody else for that matter. But lets not lose sight of the fact that it was a world war, a lot of countrys were fighting for their own existance. Hitler had declared war on the USA in 1941, so as well as helping Europe they were securing their own future too, lets not forget this.

11 hours ago, Dave67 said:

How about we take out the cost of liberating your country from the Nazis

And who will pay for the cost of helping to protect the UK during the Battle of Britain when without the Americans Britain would have fallen to the Nazis?

And what about all those nationalities whose countries were not involved but who threw their hat into the ring to fight against fascism/Nazism?

We want all the money back that France has been 'milking' from the UK all these years:

Some countries in the EU have larger agricultural sectors than others, notably France and Spain, and consequently receive more money under the CAP. Countries such as the Netherlands and the United Kingdom have particularly urbanised populations and rely very little on agriculture as part of their economy (in the United Kingdom agriculture employs 1.6% of the total workforce and in the Netherlands 2.0%). The UK therefore receives less than half what France gets, despite a similar sized economy and population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Agricultural_Policy#Equity_among_member_states

29 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

??? Seriously???? You are still discounting the role of the  Dominion forces  in both wars? Have you no idea of the sacrifice those   countries made to keep the UK safe? Are you even aware that after the   catastrophe  at Dunkirk, the only fully equipped  & trained military standing between full invasion and defeat at the hands of the Germans were the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand  units.   The freedom of the UK  was made possible  because of the presence of the combined 40,000 personnel from the Australian 18th & 25th Infantry Brigades, New Zealand Expeditionary Force, Canadian 1st Infantry Division  and 2nd & 3rd Infantry Brigades.

The UK's  military was in a shambles: Untrained, no equipment  and of the equipment  available, much was obsolete or in bad shape.The UK  could only put 250,000 equipped quasi trained personnel in the field, which was not enough to defend the island.

Ever hear of  December 7, 1941 (December 8 in Japan)?Japan attacked the  UK by invading Hong Kong and Malaya and the USA naval base at Pearl Harbor. The USA entered the war after that.

I can understand now why so many Australians and Canadians have such a dislike for the UK. Before criticizing the French, deal own lack of appreciation for the sacrifice of the Dominions.

I think you are being a bit dramatic Topic is UK and France, I haven't posted anything detrimental about those "Dominions" as you call them.

'We want our money back'

Here we go again......

the continuing animosities between the Pro-EU and the Pro-Brexit followers.

Considering that in this forum are only OLD and VERY OLD people participating we can see that the majority of Brits are favoring May's policy whereas the continental Europeans are strictly following EU regulations including paying the outstanding money back to EU. The Europeans are for freedom and don't like to have borders. Same as the overwhelming majority of YOUNG Brits. So we have the fact that the OLD BRITS cut off the future of the young.

May will not rule forever, maybe not even one year. And after a while there is time for a new referendum. This time the YOUNG will go for voting. For sure. But in the meantime UK will go into one direction only: DOWN. It's a shame.

16 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

Last History lesson of the day.

The Second World War was won with Soviet blood, American money and British intelligence

Now, can we PLEASE GET BACK TO THE TOPIC?

2 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

And who will pay for the cost of helping to protect the UK during the Battle of Britain when without the Americans Britain would have fallen to the Nazis?

And what about all those nationalities whose countries were not involved but who threw their hat into the ring to fight against fascism/Nazism?

Without the Russians the war could have been lost

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Not correct , Uk is a far bigger net contributor, even allowing for our rebate.Literally dozens of articles confirm this via a simple google search , data up to 2015/16.

Really?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/677634/EU-referendum-Brexit-map-Britain-UK-net-contribution-Brussels-Cameron

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/european-union-uk-important-brexit.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-eu-members-net-contributions-and-net-funding-2016-12

And when you take into account the per capita net contributions of each nation - which is the only fair way to do it -

the UK drops to 8th place in net contributions.

https://inews.co.uk/explainers/charts/much-uk-pays-eu-much-get-back/

3 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

A deal is a deal.  If UK went in on an agreement, then it should honor that agreement.  Dragging up stuff from 70 yrs ago is not helpful.  Plus, Britain was attacked in WWII, so it was in their interest to counter-attack the attackers.  It so happened that much of that counter-attack was on French soil.

Budgets are adjusted all the time. The EU spending budget needs to be adjusted.

47 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Without the Russians the war could have been lost

And so the historical debate goes on. 

In late 1940, during the Battle of Britain, the U.K. stood alone but was supplied by sea with food and other supplies from the empire despite the attempted blockade.

The Royal Airforce with several technical advantages including radar denied the NAZIs air superiority and as a result they turned east and the UK survived to fight another day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain

Tally Ho!

But this is more rousing I feel! Dave Davis should have this on his iPod when he goes to negotiate!

( and before you start, yes the picture is incorrect; it should be a Mosquito. 633 squadron was fictional but 613 was real enough. Good tune though ?)

Edited by Grouse

'We want our money back'

Here we go again......
the continuing animosities between the Pro-EU and the Pro-Brexit followers.
Considering that in this forum are only OLD and VERY OLD people participating we can see that the majority of Brits are favoring May's policy whereas the continental Europeans are strictly following EU regulations including paying the outstanding money back to EU. The Europeans are for freedom and don't like to have borders. Same as the overwhelming majority of YOUNG Brits. So we have the fact that the OLD BRITS cut off the future of the young.
May will not rule forever, maybe not even one year. And after a while there is time for a new referendum. This time the YOUNG will go for voting. For sure. But in the meantime UK will go into one direction only: DOWN. It's a shame.

Out means out even the EU says we won't get back in so don't reckon there will be another referendum myself but who am I just another oldie.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

France is a big net contributor to the EU. In 2014, the latest year I could find figures for, France's net contribution was about 7 billion euros. The UK's was about 4 billion euros.

RUBBISH. The UK is the second net donor with a minimum of 8 billion. French farmers receive hugely slanted subsidies through the unfairly biased CAP.   

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

RUBBISH. The UK is the second net donor with a minimum of 8 billion. French farmers receive hugely slanted subsidies through the unfairly biased CAP.   

Got some actual links to facts to support this?

And I notice you disregard the per-capita question. Naturally the UK with a population of 65 million will most likely give more than a reasonably prosperous EU country with 5 million will.  But since this is a question of the burden on ndividual taxpayers, just the gross contribution of a country tells us nothing about that. 

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Got some actual links to facts to support this?

And I notice you disregard the per-capita question. Naturally the UK with a population of 65 million will most likely give more than a reasonably prosperous EU country with 5 million will.  But since this is a question of the burden on ndividual taxpayers, just the gross contribution of a country tells us nothing about that. 

Look at the little blue crosses on the graph, password.

1 minute ago, ROGER DUNN said:

We Liberated you from the Krauts , now you are " in bed with them " Talk about Backstabbers .

You think that's bad. It was the Prussians who saved Wellington at Waterloo. Now the French are turning their backs on Napoleon. They are betraying themselves.