Pattaya's shame! Man electrocuted in the street right outside district chief's house

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Dude, read the second last line, he isn't dead, though the term "simply shocking" seems entirely appropriate, given the nature of the incident.

Sawang Boriboon medics desperately tried to save his life with CPR

"tried to save his life"  does, sort of, imply he's a gonner?

21 minutes ago, sambum said:

So what do they call it when some one is rendered unconscious by contact with electricity?

Electric shock.

the yanks are right on this one.... they invented the word from electricity + execute, however, due to a lack of alternative words, electrocute has become increasingly more common for non lethal shocks as well.

42 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Sawang Boriboon medics desperately tried to save his life with CPR

"tried to save his life"  does, sort of, imply he's a gonner?

Agreed - and "believed to be" isn't the same as saying "is". Think it's a bit of a "lost in translation" thing!

10 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Electric shock.

the yanks are right on this one.... they invented the word from electricity + execute, however, due to a lack of alternative words, electrocute has become increasingly more common for non lethal shocks as well.

"Electric shock." Yes - I like that!

So the post should have read:-  

" PATTAYA: -- A 54 year old visitor to Pattaya has been taken to hospital after suffering from an electric shock caused by a hanging wire right outside the Bang Lamung district chief's house."

And NOT:- 

" PATTAYA: -- A 54 year old visitor to Pattaya has been electrocuted by a hanging wire right outside the Bang Lamung district chief's house."

Edited by sambum

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Webster's versus Oxford dictionaries.  US English vs British English

"Two nations separated by ONE language"

OP is about a tragic incident and most of the posts have been bickering about the meaning of the word "Electrocution" or variants of.

Why didn't the guy wrap something around the end of the cable or hook it up somewhere? Not the one who got the shock but his mate.

Edited by owl sees all

Did not Someone Make a Posting Internationally about the poor Condition of Wiring on Power Poles... Not long ago??

Could have been Bill Gates???

Government Laughed it off.... 

Now this happens!! Lunch is over Guys!!! Get back to work!

19 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

Did not Someone Make a Posting Internationally about the poor Condition of Wiring on Power Poles... Not long ago??

Could have been Bill Gates???

Government Laughed it off.... 

Now this happens!! Lunch is over Guys!!! Get back to work!

Yes, it was Bill Gates, and to be honest they had a song and dance, a few promises and a bit of a "tidy up" in a couple of places, and then things went back to "normal".

Interesting. 

I had a friend with me yesterday and we came back from Koh Larn.

He was mortified with the electrical wiring hanging everywhere. 

I said, "don't be surprised if you see someone has tapped into a light pole somewhere for free power."

And behold, right as you step off the concourse the light pole had the cover off and a contractor was tapped into the terminal block. 

Working in health and safety training, I cringe. 

I carry a voltage tester pen and mini.multimeter in my laptop bag always.

When here always remember. 

Black is active.

Or whatever they decided to use on that particular day.

7 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

So the watch shop owner watched the dangling wires in case someone was electrocuted, but his friend who was staying at his house was electrocuted.

Didn't he get warned?

Not only did he forgot to tell his friend but he also got tired and went to sleep, he could have at least put out a sign or something to warn other people of the danger before going to sleep

Electricity & ignorance kills!

Best way to be thinking safe in Thailand is think Third World, most people I know at home would be digusted by some things that are taken as " normal" . Sidewalks or footpaths, holes in the path everywhere, dangling wires, nobody obeying traffic lights or pedestrian crossings , food hygiene, toilets, , and on and on, the list is endless.  

There are quite a few webpages and Youtube videos explaining what to do, and not to do, if one finds oneself within a few dozen meters of downed power lines, which might still be energized.  

They explain the feet-together hopping steps or shuffling steps needed to move away from the wires.  These avoid electricity in the ground finding that your body makes a better conductor than the ground in the space between separated feet.

Here they are.  Enjoy:

http://www.crpud.net/stay-safe/outage-center/stay-safe-around-downed-lines

https://www.quora.com/Electrical-Safety-What-should-you-do-if-a-power-line-falls-on-your-car  

https://pse.com/safety/electricsafety/pages/downed-power-lines.aspx

Edited by Bruce404

33 minutes ago, wvavin said:

If I am an electrician, I would have connected the live wire to the main gate of the district chief's house.

I'm definitely not so please tell what you would happen. Maybe he would get a shock of some kind.

And also; if one is struck by lightning is one said to be electrocuted, eleletric shocked or just unlucky?

Edited by owl sees all