Q & A from the TAT about reports that some tourists were refused entry to Thailand

3 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Its bloody hard having had a 17hr journey sometimes longer to walk of a plane looking like James Bond. When i was on holiday then things like shaving went out of the window. Never yet seen an iron on a plane or a shower in the stalls.

A 17 hour journey probably involves a connection, where the opportunity for a shave and combing your hair is possible, not that it  is essential. Officials will make allowances for the fact that you have been traveling. It is a matter of degree. A ripped t-shirt and dirty shorts is what should be avoided.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

A 17 hour journey probably involves a connection, where the opportunity for a shave and combing your hair is possible, not that it  is essential. Officials will make allowances for the fact that you have been traveling. It is a matter of degree. A ripped t-shirt and dirty shorts is what should be avoided.

In all my travels to all the various places in this world i have never once seen anyone get of a plane in a ripped t-shirt or shirt. Dirty shorts possibly due to spillage or the dirty seats on a plane. On the stop over the very last thing i think about is having a shave.  Stretch the legs have a coffee or a pint yes. 

Q5: "These days, people don't like to carry so much cash around with them. They prefer to pay with plastic like debit or credit cards. Does Thai Immigration insist on seeing cash or will plastic cards do?"

This random inspection only aims at tourists who may appear as not being able to cover their travel expenses during their stay in Thailand. Thai Immigration will take into consideration all possible facts or information provided by the tourists before making an informed decision whether to grant an entry.

Did they answer the pertinent question there? I can smell something ..........

26 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

Did they answer the pertinent question there? I can smell something ..........

The whole thing boils down to some who have been here long term on VE's SETV's for months, maybe more than a year and the ED visas long term.

Why do they get upset when questioned by Thai Imm' on arrival?

I see no problem with Thai Imm' asking how do you support yourself in Thailand?

If you can't because of the circumstances get a long term visa, multi 0 or OA then what is the problem in preparing and carrying the paperwork and cash to prove your case. Don't answer with the crap about many tourists getting mugged or ripped off more because they have 20,000 baht on them. I would reckon that 99.999% of tourists, and I mean real tourists, arrive and reach their destination without a problem.

The only person in the world that is responsible for you is YOU.

49 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The whole thing boils down to some who have been here long term on VE's SETV's for months, maybe more than a year and the ED visas long term.

Why do they get upset when questioned by Thai Imm' on arrival?

I see no problem with Thai Imm' asking how do you support yourself in Thailand?

If you can't because of the circumstances get a long term visa, multi 0 or OA then what is the problem in preparing and carrying the paperwork and cash to prove your case. Don't answer with the crap about many tourists getting mugged or ripped off more because they have 20,000 baht on them. I would reckon that 99.999% of tourists, and I mean real tourists, arrive and reach their destination without a problem.

The only person in the world that is responsible for you is YOU.

I don't have a problem with the question, either - and 20K Baht isn't nearly enough, IMO.  More paperwork is not too much to ask - especially for someone staying here for longer periods as a tourist (I carried a binder-full).   It is the means of showing one's finances with a wad of cash, which is the potential-problem - though there is a remedy.

When I learned of this rule by reading this forum, I was worried enough about having 20K baht worth of cash stolen, that I bought travelers checks.  It is a real concern for some of us.  As long as this is one of the potential "tests" for entry, it should be publicized as widely as possible, and those concerned about theft should bite the bullet and waste the fees for travelers checks (Bangkok Bank sells them).

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Still, 20,000 baht is about 600 USD.  For a casual tourist coming in for a week that is not an inconsequential amount.  Many people don't routinely carry around that much cash.  Many people here in the USA are living paycheck to paycheck and the idea of getting 600 USD in nice new 100 dollar bills is not easy or routine.  And some people transit through Thailand perhaps planning to stay just a few days, charge the hotel to their credit card or already have paid for the hotel through Agoda or whatever else online.   But as long as the Thai officials are a little bit flexible, allow one to get to an ATM or things like that, things will be OK.

" But as long as the Thai officials are a little bit flexible, allow one to get to an ATM or things like that, things will be OK."

They reportedly do not.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

A six-month renewable, without financial proof, for 30,000 baht would be too attractive for the illegal workers, such as low paid dive instructors. It would also probably kill off the Thailand Elite system, if you were allowed six month stays. Given that the six-month multiple entry tourist visa (available from home country only under all kinds of conditions and only 60-day stays) for about 5,000 baht was fairly recently introduced, a more attractive, no questions asked, visa available in the region is never going to happen.

the multi entry visa is stupid with all its conditions. there needs to be a 6 month visa that you can get based on showing money in the bank or foreigh income. not sure how much thailand could charge for it but they would make good money off of it.  the elite is such a good visa for 5 or 10 years hassle free i doubt a 6 month visa would stop people from getting it. actually not many people have been getting the elite visa and i dont know why. for under 50 year olds it is the best option.

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the multi entry visa is stupid with all its conditions. there needs to be a 6 month visa that you can get based on showing money in the bank or foreigh income. not sure how much thailand could charge for it but they would make good money off of it.  the elite is such a good visa for 5 or 10 years hassle free i doubt a 6 month visa would stop people from getting it. actually not many people have been getting the elite visa and i dont know why. for under 50 year olds it is the best option.

Not sure where the thread is but someone did a breakdown of the costs involved with the 6 month visa and with the required border hops and 1900baht 30 day extensions ( to get max time on it ) on the cheapest travel options it was over 10,000 baht on top of the original visa cost.

Plus having to carry and show 20,000 baht in case you are asked.

Edited by overherebc

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not sure where the thread is but someone did a breakdown of the costs involved with the 6 month visa and with the required border hops and 1900baht 30 day extensions ( to get max time on it ) on the cheapest travel options it was over 10,000 baht on top of the original visa cost.

Plus having to carry and show 20,000 baht in case you are asked.

ya but that is playing roulette unless you have a multi entry tourist visa. better to pay a bit more and just do 90 day reporting. those visa runs are a pain in the ass. i did them for the first couple years i was in thailand. from koh samui they are a nightmare. not a nice life living visa run to visa run. 6 month re new able visas are the answer and people would pay for them. seems odd thailand would pass up a chance to rake in some more cash.

I suppose the original intention fofrthe METV was to allow people to use Thailand as the main centre and travel to other countries around Thailand for a week or so.

It would be interesting to see figures on how many are used that way and how many are used for long term stayers in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I suppose the original intention fofrthe METV was to allow people to use Thailand as the main centre and travel to other countries around Thailand for a week or so.

It would be interesting to see figures on how many are used that way and how many are used for long term stayers in Thailand.

I think the prime intention for the METV was to allow double and triple entry tourist visas, available without return to home country, to be discontinued. Actually, visa exempt entries (for most Western tourists) are a better option then an METV for the use case you mention.

17 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ya but that is playing roulette unless you have a multi entry tourist visa. 

The 6 month Visa is a multi entry Visa. METV.

. better to pay a bit more and just do 90 day reporting. 

Pay a bit more what kind of Visa.

those visa runs are a pain in the ass. i did them for the first couple years i was in thailand. from koh samui they are a nightmare. not a nice life living visa run to visa run. 6 month re new able visas are the answer and people would pay for them. seems odd thailand would pass up a chance to rake in some more cash.

If you were living in Thailand and making continual border runs, you were on the wrong Visa.

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If you were living in Thailand and making continual border runs, you were on the wrong Visa.

Not at all theres another myth

Edited by jeab1980

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The 6 month Visa is a multi entry Visa. METV.

Pay a bit more what kind of Visa.

i had a non im O visa based on my half thai kids last year thar required  90 day visa runs. was issued in new zealand. quite a good visa and cheap apart from the visa runs. was the right visa for me.

So there's going to be all these backpackers walking around with and stuffing 20,000 in cash under their hostel matresses at night now? Should be a great incentive for theives once they hear about it. 

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i had a non im O visa based on my half thai kids last year thar required  90 day visa runs. was issued in new zealand. quite a good visa and cheap apart from the visa runs. was the right visa for me.

The Non Imm O ME Visa is issued for the purpose of visiting Thai wife or children for up to 90 days at a time.

Granted people use them to stay in Thailand, but that was never the intention.

You can get an extension for the purpose of staying in Thailand and reporting at Immigration every 90 days.

That alleviates the need for border runs. That was your choice.

9 minutes ago, Bung said:

So there's going to be all these backpackers walking around with and stuffing 20,000 in cash under their hostel matresses at night now? Should be a great incentive for theives once they hear about it. 

Travellers cheques?

And just because they are back-packers doesn't mean they are broke.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The Non Imm O ME Visa is issued for the purpose of visiting Thai wife or children for up to 90 days at a time.

You can get an extension for the purpose of staying in Thailand and reporting at Immigration every 90 days.

nope. i had a 1 year non im O visa that i got in new zealand that i used to stay in thailand for 1 year.  i tried doing 90 day reporting on that visa but was told i had to do boarder runs. was very easy to get in new zealand and if i move back to thailand i may stay on the same visa until i turn 50.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

If i may say so a dam sight better choice than dealing with immigration in my opinion of course. Other opinions may vary and are available in other threads

15 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Travellers cheques?

And just because they are back-packers doesn't mean they are broke.

Never said they were broke,  just wondering how budget travellers will keep 20k in cash safe given they use hostels and dorm rooms.  Are they accepting travellers cheques? If so why not a bank statement and debit card then? 

Just a week ago there was someone on here with a big problem.  His credit cards didn't work.  What you gonna do ?  sleep in the street.  It is stupid to travel without some money.

Ifvyou say so cant be bothered. The fact is there are non. So theres a reason why there are non
 But hey your the resident expert. You seem to think.

Nobody said he was doing anything wrong.
The apearance bit in my eyes has got sod all to do with it but people belive it somehow proves they have money and status so be it who am i to shatter thier elusions.
You started this chat with there is no visa for him then stated he didnt know if he wanted to be here anyway, if he is ok on exempt great hope he enjoys his holidays here.

Just for information. I had my credit card stolen in Bangkok a few years ago and I rang my bank to cancel it. They put me through to visa who sent me $1000 cash by Western Union as an advance. They would have sent more if I had needed it. Just in case anyone is stuck in that situation.

Sent from my SM-J120G using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bung said:

Never said they were broke,  just wondering how budget travellers will keep 20k in cash safe given they use hostels and dorm rooms.  Are they accepting travellers cheques? If so why not a bank statement and debit card then? 

Because you cant cash  a bank statement and the rules says 20k or equivalent in  cash travellers cheques are as good as cash

2 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Because you cant cash  a bank statement and the rules says 20k or equivalent in  cash travellers cheques are as good as cash

Well good,  you can't expect people to be walking around with 20k in cash in their pockets. 

27 minutes ago, Bung said:

Well good,  you can't expect people to be walking around with 20k in cash in their pockets. 

I dont expect anything Thailand immigration law states you must have sufficient money to be able to support yourself which in this thread is 20k bht or equivelent. Quite simple really

As a side note i very rarley have less than 20k in my wallet at all times. 

Edited by jeab1980

21 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I dont expect anything Thailand immigration law states you must have sufficient money to be able to support yourself which in this thread is 20k bht or equivelent. Quite simple really

As a side note i very rarley have less than 20k in my wallet at all times. 

I might not have as much normally in Thailand but when travelling around yes I do as well. I don't find it that difficult for each of us to carry 5×100 dollar bills and she hands me her five at the airport. Quite safe in a front trouser pocket. Never wear shorts because I don't want to inflict the sight of my legs on anyone.

??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I might not have as much normally in Thailand but when travelling around yes I do as well. I don't find it that difficult for each of us to carry 5×100 dollar bills and she hands me her five at the airport. Quite safe in a front trouser pocket. Never wear shorts because I don't want to inflict the sight of my legs on anyone.

??

With you except i wouldnt carry $ prefer real money lol:cheesy:

I have a little stach tucked away in my wallet of 10k. Been there for years now my just in case money. Then i have about 10k for spending.

Edited by jeab1980

On 7/23/2017 at 11:04 AM, overherebc said:

??

Exactly ! About money and legs  ! How can people dare to show their ugly legs is beyond understanding !