Is a Tourist visa excepted after 3 exempt stamps

I have been in Thailand since January and left after 30 days for 10 days, then second time I got an extension for 30 days and left for 21 days, then went to Pengang to get Tourist Visa but Immigration was close for holidays. 

I was told in airport that I needed a visa to come in next time, but not with a Tourist visa. Is this correct or did I understand wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It seems you have been entering Thailand using visa-exempt entries resulting in your being advised to get a Visa. 

Depending on your intentions a tourist visa would be OK (unless you plan on working) 

Visas are obtained from Thai Embassies/Consulates outside Thailand not from immigration. 

I am looking to buy a business but have not found one yet that is suitable. Prior to starting a Thai Company I want to stay here and continue looking. 

I miss wrote about immigration...I know they are obtained from Thai Embassies/Consulates.

"I was told in airport that I needed a visa to come in next time, but not with a Tourist visa. Is this correct or did I understand wrong?"

Well you tell us, what type of visa were you advised to use, if not tourist visa?

Are you over 50 years old?  If so, there are other Visa and extension-of-stay options.  If not over 50, and not married to a Thai, unless you are willing to purchase an "Elite" visa (minimum 500K up-front cost), you will probably want to continue using Tourist Visas in the near-term.  Other options include ED (education) or Volunteering.

By rule, Visa-Exempt entries are restricted for use as short-term and/or infrequent Travel to Thailand.  The airport said "Not a Tourist Visa" because Airport Immigration seems to be treating those entering on Tourist Visas similarly to those entering on Visa Exempt entries.  As a result, since you have already spent significant time here this year (5+ months?), they don't think that you should be returning any time soon as a Tourist.  This is to spite no legal restriction on entering repeatedly on Tourist Visas, and even though you spent time out of Thailand between previous entries (10 days and 21 days).  Fortunately, the non-legal policies at Airports are not the case at all points of entry.  

All land border crossings except one (Poipet/Aranyaprathet) will respect your Tourist Visa, and allow you to enter using it.  But be sure to be carrying 20K Baht when you enter, as well as proof of where you will be staying.  The easiest place to get a Tourist Visa nearby, is at Vientiane, Laos, after which you can enter hassle-free at Friendship Bridge.  If you get one in Penang, take a train and return via Pedang Besar.  After crossing into Thailand by land, you can then take domestic air-flights without any trouble.

Once you have purchased a business, there are options involving a "B" (business) visa - but it involves having minimum Thai staff (4 employees), and other factors.

Edited by JackThompson