Microsoft Surface Pro (2017) in Thailand next month?

wpcoe

I've been waiting to purchase the Microsoft's Surface Pro (for which they dropped the version number -- the previous version was Surface Pro 4) but haven't been able to find a release date for Thailand via Google.  However I just searched Lazada for it, and a Bangkok vendor is taking pre-orders for it with an ETA of 15-Aug-2017, and a (free) home delivery date of 17-Aug-2017.

Is the Surface Pro being released in Thailand next month, or are these grey-market units that Lazada is importing?

The price for the model I want is US$1299 in the US.  On Lazada it's THB49,900 which at today's rate is about US$1490.

Edited by wpcoe

To me it looks like Lazada is one of Microsoft's official resellers here, so the units should be good for local warranty.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-th/surface

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-th/buy

http://www.lazada.co.th/microsoft-store/

I'd review the enclosed warranty card which will have all the details on warranty, repair, service, replacement.

Some of the Chuwi tablets are getting decent reviews.

Thanks.  I did see the banner for being a Microsoft official retailer, but wasn't sure if that would prevent grey-market goods from being sold anyway.

I have the Surface 3 with an Atom processor and eMMC storage, and it is way too slow for me.  The Chuwi also has a slow processor and eMMC storage.  I like the build and features of the Surface, just need to get one with an i5 processor and a SSD.

I see on the website of IT center that it will available on 15 August.
I bought a Surface Pro 3 i7 few years ago in IT center Bangkok and really like it. My wife tried it just a month after i bought and never gave it back me as she like it very much. Never had any problem with it and my wife still use it intensively.
I was planning to buy the Pro 4 for myself but didn't.
I will buy the new Pro in IT center if it is available next month

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, jphasia said:

I see on the website of IT center that it will available on 15 August.

Thanks!  That seems to support the idea that the Surface Pro (2017) will officially be available in Thailand next month.  Can you provide a link to the website of "IT center," please? 

Just before I read your encouraging post, I checked amazon.com (USA) and noticed "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months" (!):

microsoft-pro.gif.f7a7dfb5e2f760aad23b27b64bbd4b67.gif

For other models it says something like "3 in stock, more on the way."  That sounds like the i5/8GB/256GB model is in high demand and it'd be quicker to buy over here.

I am in Bangkok today. Went to IT city and Banana IT in Paragon but not much information from them (they were not looking motivated...)
However, went to IT section of Paragon (I think it's Central where they sell all about computers, TV's, camera's...). There is stand Windows. They confirmed that the new surface Pro will be available from 15 August and they will have all models available.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
[mention=187575]jphasia[/mention]:  Thanks for checking and verifying the 15-August date.  Apparently the "Like" button has been removed from the forum software, or I would have simply "liked" your post.

To give you an update, as I was in Bangkok this week end, i bought the new surface Pro.
It was more complicated than expected. Despite telling me last month that all models will be available on 15 August, i had to try many shops in Bangkok before finding what i was looking for. I was interested about the I7 model. All shops have only few I5 in stock and no accessories at all. I finally found one I7 in Emporium and I bought a SP4 cover and separate mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jphasia said:

To give you an update, as I was in Bangkok this week end, i bought the new surface Pro.
It was more complicated than expected. Despite telling me last month that all models will be available on 15 August, i had to try many shops in Bangkok before finding what i was looking for. I was interested about the I7 model. All shops have only few I5 in stock and no accessories at all. I finally found one I7 in Emporium and I bought a SP4 cover and separate mouse.

I ordered the i7 model at IT City in Pattaya (Tukcom) on Friday, and they called today to say it was here for pickup.  I plan to get it tomorrow.  I also got an SP4 cover -- the one with the fingerprint reader.  Never used one on a computer, but I really like using it on my phone, so thought I'd give it a try.  The new keyboard/covers don't have a fingerprint reader, which I thought was an odd step back.

I doubt this will work, but they said that when I make final payment (I put 20% down) to ask for the VAT refund form to get the 7% VAT refunded at the airport.  I have a one-year retirement extension and am pretty sure the refund is only for folks on Tourist Visa or visa-exempt entry, but I'll see how it goes.  That would be a nice little bonus, if it works.

I ordered the i7 model at IT City in Pattaya (Tukcom) on Friday, and they called today to say it was here for pickup.  I plan to get it tomorrow.  I also got an SP4 cover -- the one with the fingerprint reader.  Never used one on a computer, but I really like using it on my phone, so thought I'd give it a try.  The new keyboard/covers don't have a fingerprint reader, which I thought was an odd step back.

I doubt this will work, but they said that when I make final payment (I put 20% down) to ask for the VAT refund form to get the 7% VAT refunded at the airport.  I have a one-year retirement extension and am pretty sure the refund is only for folks on Tourist Visa or visa-exempt entry, but I'll see how it goes.  That would be a nice little bonus, if it works.

VAT refund worked for me. I am on Non O 1 year multi entry (based on Thai child). I came back to Myanmar today where I am working and got the VAT refund at the airport. I got back 5,700b (Surface Pro I7 500gb).
As for the cover, actually for me, my wife has my Surface Pro 3 with black cover but she want a blue cover. For me, for my new Surface, I want a red cover. There was blue cover in stock but no red. So i bought the blue cover for my wife and took her black cover until i find a red one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, jphasia said:

VAT refund worked for me. I am on Non O 1 year multi entry (based on Thai child). I came back to Myanmar today where I am working and got the VAT refund at the airport. I got back 5,700b (Surface Pro I7 500gb).

Interesting.  I'll approach this with more optimism, but whatever happens at the airport happens.  One reason I didn't pay in full on Friday (18-Aug) is that I'm planning to depart Thailand on 19-Oct and the VAT refund form is only valid for 60 days.

12 hours ago, jphasia said:

As for the cover, actually for me, my wife has my Surface Pro 3 with black cover but she want a blue cover. For me, for my new Surface, I want a red cover. There was blue cover in stock but no red. So i bought the blue cover for my wife and took her black cover until i find a red one...

If the red cover isn't available where you bought the blue cover when you get back form Myanmar, check with IT City.  I'm pretty sure they had all colors available, it's just that for anything in the Pattaya store they had to get it from Bangkok.  If you went to a bigger IT City store in Bangkok they might have them?  Also, IT City has online ordering with free delivery so you might be able to get it without visiting Bangkok.

PS:  The mods can delete the above post.  The quotes got hopelessly mangled and I couldn't get them straightened out.

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, wpcoe said:

Thanks.  I did see the banner for being a Microsoft official retailer, but wasn't sure if that would prevent grey-market goods from being sold anyway.

I have the Surface 3 with an Atom processor and eMMC storage, and it is way too slow for me.  The Chuwi also has a slow processor and eMMC storage.  I like the build and features of the Surface, just need to get one with an i5 processor and a SSD.

Hey, great info. here. i love my Surface fan. but - my screen started to de-laminate at the bottom of the monitor (where it links to the keyboard. it has gotten pretty hot, occasionally, when in sleep mode. or maybe i just shut the cover. = can't remember the circumstances. now, the question is - can i get it repaired and if so where ? I split my time between Surathani a & Phuket.  but i guess an official service centre would be in Bangkok? Surface Pro 4 (2015). M3 6Y30 processor (which may be the source of the overheating?)  thanks....