August 3 set as final deadline for Patong taxis to return parking spaces to public

rooster59

August 3 set as final deadline for Patong taxis to return parking spaces to public 

Premkamon Ketsara

1500722450_1-org.jpg

The initial plan presupposed slashing the number of taxi ranks in Patong from current 81 to just 21. Photo: Premkamon Ketsara

PHUKET: Army demanded tuk-tuk and taxi drivers in Patong vacate most of currently occupied parking spaces by August 3.

Royal Thai Army confirmed it will not suspend any further the implementation of its plan to slash the number of parking spaces occupied by taxis in Patong and give the parkings back to residents and guest of Phuket’s key tourism town. The announcement was made on Friday, July 21.

“The new regulations regarding public parking spaces will be enforced from Aug 3. We are not listening to any suggestion from taxi and tuk-tuk drivers anymore. Before we tried to reach a compromise with them but they discarded every suggestion, said Lt Col Surasak Phuengyam, Deputy Commander of the 25th InfantryRegiment.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/august-3-set-as-final-deadline-for-patong-taxis-to-return-parking-spaces-to-public-63157.php#Hxa1Mqj35GDke0RF.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-23

41 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Seriously? They have been promising a crackdown for 10+ years. Nothing happens.

Yes but that was the police and governors. This is the army. VERY different ballgame now.

But, I went and bought some popcorn. Will pop them on August 3rd.

I hope it will not end up like the supposed removal of Loma Park Restaurants. Many are still open and now also occupy the Parking space on the beach side of the Building. Slowly Patong and Phuket officials are starting to look like nothing but a joke, The country is so held back by talking, it is time for real action.

1 hour ago, jobwolf said:

I hope it will not end up like the supposed removal of Loma Park Restaurants. Many are still open and now also occupy the Parking space on the beach side of the Building. Slowly Patong and Phuket officials are starting to look like nothing but a joke, The country is so held back by talking, it is time for real action.

What you mean by 'starting to look nothing but a joke' .... Officials and the BiB were always regarded as a joke and useless by Thai locals and expat regulars.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yes but that was the police and governors. This is the army. VERY different ballgame now.

But, I went and bought some popcorn. Will pop them on August 3rd.

And we coming about 25 person from Kata Faranger, this be fanny take video of every thing.

Hopefully lots of news sites around the country report on the Army's intended crack down, gets as much face as possible Involved. I'm really hoping this time they smack the marfia in a big way...after being disappointed so many times in the past.

And pigs will fly.

This was supposed to happen 3 years ago - and nothing happened., See the same thugs every day hanging around, trying ripping off tourists.

IF they get them off the streets... finally they might do their job. Once.

Taxi drivers in Kamala are set back up in their regular haunts and have been for a long time- although they are no longer stealing electric to power tvs and fans. 

The problem is that once a 'crackdown' happens and they see no followup they are back to their usual ways. 

These guys aren't going to leave quietly: they have paid their dues to the transportation mafia for years in return for a cartel environment with inflated pricing.  They have never been shy about threatening potential competitors with violence - remember the initial proposal to introduce a public bus service from the airport to the Andaman beaches?  One "taxi driver's cooperative" leader publicly threatened to set fire to the first bus to leave the airport.

I always rent a car when we visit Phuket: once you add up the cost of two-way airport transfers and a handful of trips around the island, taxis and tuk-tuks quickly end up being more expensive than a week's car rental.  And we don't have to deal with thugs.

• 4 weeks later...

Jus t been reading an updated article on this. It seems what I thought about giving them enough rope to hang themselves was right. At least 76 drivers fine B1000 since Monday.

I love this quote from a minibus driver who was fined- 'I have no excuse for breaking the rules, but it is just not fair for us'

Maybe now he and others will get the message.  A shame they don't confiscate the vehicles as well but that may come.

Edited by Psimbo