Bangkok street food ban

oval

This ban is terrible. I live near Soi Rangnam, and what used to be a lively, safe and well lit environment is now quiet, dark and desolate in the evening. The food options have been reduced by more than half, and my wife no longer feels safe walking down the street after 8pm.

Furthermore, the proper restaurants, many of whom supported the ban, are now suffering from fewer customer because people just aren't passing by anymore.

Sure the paths are cleaner and easier to walk along, but they're also dark and empty in stretches.

Not to mention the huge job losses suffered by vendors and the increased difficulty for less wealthy people (and the rest of us) to get a good meal.

Ridiculous law made by short sighted and ignorant fools.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

You got me thinking about the stretch on ramkhamheang road right there around the University. Sometimes I wish all those vendors be gone, but then just how sad and depressing would the whole street look.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I used to live just near Soi 29 and I miss that stretch terribly. That was the most lively and convenient area...but the traffic noise and pollution from Ram Road was awful...had to keep windows closed or else get fine layer of gray diesel dust on everything.

3 hours ago, JohnJay said:

I don't understand it at all. People come here to eat street food, it's part of the culture and tradition of this country. Let's have an elected government that are accountable for their decisions...

Yes! Its like eliminating bar girls, happy ending massages or soak and poke shops! Just down right crazy!

I often walk down Sukhumvit 55 and there used to be a couple of street food restaurants more towards the BTS end but still a fair way down. They caused no problem to passers by and were always really busy.

Like the OP says that stretch is now empty and rather depressing.

Yet Phrom pong  BTS still has a few stalls that are blocking the walkways and make it a bit of a mare to walk past.

I prefer the mare situation rather than the easy pass.

Bangkok has taken a backwards step getting rid of so many.

None of the Thais I've spoken to agree about this aside from a wealthy property owner on my Soi who feels the street food stalls take business away from his restaurant and bar. He was active in his support for the ban and now his business is suffering because people just don't bother walking the Soi any more.

The other Thais I know from work complain that they can't find food in the evening any more.

I am an active walker and I appreciate not having to dodge shit everywhere. But the streets have become a much less welcoming and colourful place to walk - just dark empty sidewalks and shuttered shopfronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It is horrifically sad.  Use to get this wonderful dumpling soup for B60.  Lovely little old ladies ran it.  Buy large cold beer and it and eat with others in the neighborhood.  Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia seem to be able to handle these minor things probably because they are not controlled by a thoughtless 1% .  Use to love Thailand.  Only go there when necessary now. 

On 7/23/2017 at 10:04 PM, tonray said:

I used to live just near Soi 29 and I miss that stretch terribly. That was the most lively and convenient area...but the traffic noise and pollution from Ram Road was awful...had to keep windows closed or else get fine layer of gray diesel dust on everything.

I do live over there (soi 22) now. Soi 29 is great, still thriving. Along with most of the vendors on main road doing brisk business. Not that difficult to walk in evening rush. What does clog it up are lottery vendors and crowd oblivious to needs of pedestrians picking out that "winning" ticket.

I don't find the air in this hood all that bad. I live down side soi: lots of trees, at least 8 species of birds (anyone know site with mp3's of bird calls? Would like to ID them)

6 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I do live over there (soi 22) now. Soi 29 is great, still thriving. Along with most of the vendors on main road doing brisk business. Not that difficult to walk in evening rush. What does clog it up are lottery vendors and crowd oblivious to needs of pedestrians picking out that "winning" ticket.

I don't find the air in this hood all that bad. I live down side soi: lots of trees, at least 8 species of birds (anyone know site with mp3's of bird calls? Would like to ID them)

I used to live in a building just behind the Big-C Hua Mak Center, too close to Ramkhamhaeng road....but yeay down the side sois is really nice ...I used to walk all the time and also enjoyed the ability to walk along the Khlong...used to walk all the way to The Mall Bang Kapi ona nice Sunday morning and wait for the mall to open. I think a trip back is in the cards.

I would like to add that I very much agree with the OP and supporting comments.  In my opinion, it will be a bit sad if it stays this way.  To me, the vendors are part of the magic and life of Thailand. Does anyone think vendors will be allowed again (in perhaps a more regulated and limited way than before), in the coming years after a change of government?

Edited by mangpono
spelling

1 minute ago, mangpono said:

I would like to add that I very much agree with the OP and supporting comments.  In my opinion, it will be a bit sad if it stays this way.  To me, the vendors are part of the magic and life of Thailand. Does anyone think vendors will be allowed again (in perhaps a more regulated and limited way than before), in the coming years after a change of government?

Absolutely not! no politician is going to risk pissing of the junta that will be always lurking in the background

Not to sure what direction they are trying to take the country but at this rate itll be one with minimal foreigners.

Was in Samui last week and theyve just implented the no dining on the beach, young people saying they wont come back becuse of the 1am closing rule for bars and clubs and the street food in BKK, its look dismal.

On 7/24/2017 at 1:17 AM, JohnJay said:

I don't understand it at all. People come here to eat street food, it's part of the culture and tradition of this country. Let's have an elected government that are accountable for their decisions...

When has an elected government here ever answered to anyone but the Elite?

On 7/24/2017 at 10:22 AM, oval said:

None of the Thais I've spoken to agree about this aside from a wealthy property owner on my Soi who feels the street food stalls take business away from his restaurant and bar. He was active in his support for the ban and now his business is suffering because people just don't bother walking the Soi any more.

The other Thais I know from work complain that they can't find food in the evening any more.

I am an active walker and I appreciate not having to dodge shit everywhere. But the streets have become a much less welcoming and colourful place to walk - just dark empty sidewalks and shuttered shopfronts.

Its called Karma - be careful what you wish for............

1 minute ago, tomster said:

They weren't paying tax to the government, only rent to the property owners. Some of the vendors in the busy areas were making quite substantial money every and not paying 1 Baht into state coffers, that was never going to last.

Thailand is having a massive crackdown on tax evasion in case you hadn't noticed - somebody or something needs to pay for the EEC & military hardware upgrades.

They'll be back but in areas where they can be taxed and regulated, pay their share like everybody else. As happens in other major cities in Asean, I believe.

Not to mention the incredible amount of environmental damage they do. I see colleagues walking in EVERY morning with at least 3 plastic bags carrying their breakfast and assorted fruit and coffee. The vendors themselves position themselves next to or across from drain and just pour their crap straight down it. Something had to be done about it and most Thai people i speak with agree on this. Thai's behaviour will have to change if they don't want to live in a polluted rubbish dump and leave one for their children. It appears it's mostly foreigners who don't actually live and work in Bangkok that are the most upset.

OB

The powers to be just want clean streets and do not care about the vendors and environment

They are cutting the heart out of Thailand and they do not care Tourists will care Thai street food was voted as the best in the world now they are just

doing away with it

Homogenized streets coming soon

2 minutes ago, Oceanbat said:

Not to mention the incredible amount of environmental damage they do. I see colleagues walking in EVERY morning with at least 3 plastic bags carrying their breakfast and assorted fruit and coffee. The vendors themselves position themselves next to or across from drain and just pour their crap straight down it. Something had to be done about it and most Thai people i speak with agree on this. Thai's behaviour will have to change if they don't want to live in a polluted rubbish dump and leave one for their children. It appears it's mostly foreigners who don't actually live and work in Bangkok that are the most upset.

OB

"It appears it's mostly foreigners who don't actually live and work in Bangkok that are the most upset"

Nailed it!.

On 7/23/2017 at 2:17 PM, JohnJay said:

just like drug  users  and whores operate in some areas and leave their garbage behind. Have you considered that the   people running legal businesses in the area were being cheated and that the quality of life of the locals was destroyed because of the noise and mess and congestion from these illegal  vendors?

On 7/23/2017 at 10:24 PM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually, you will find it's mostly Thais who approve of this.

Farang knows better. Farang wear big amulet and wai to tuk tuk driver. farang more thai than Thai. Farang say very important have illegal filthy vendor who not pay tax and put burden on municipal services because  farang want to eat mystery meat sausage and have heart attack by age 70.

1 hour ago, Pinchy1111 said:

Not to sure what direction they are trying to take the country but at this rate itll be one with minimal foreigners.

Was in Samui last week and theyve just implented the no dining on the beach, young people saying they wont come back becuse of the 1am closing rule for bars and clubs and the street food in BKK, its look dismal.

Those diners left a mess on the beach. No one would have said anything if they didn't leave their broken glass beer bottles, food leftovers, syringes, cigarette butts, used condoms behind. No big loss. It's time for Samui to go a bit more upscale. the junketeers can go back to the Gold Coast or try out the water world  in Luton, or have their kabobs in Malmo.

32 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

The powers to be just want clean streets and do not care about the vendors and environment

They are cutting the heart out of Thailand and they do not care Tourists will care Thai street food was voted as the best in the world now they are just doing away with it  Homogenized streets coming soon

When the heart is diseased, one has no other choice but to go with drastic invasive surgery.

The vendors were  asked to behave responsibly to put garbage in bins, not to dump oil and  and to follow the health and safety regulations. They chose not to . This is their doing. Good riddance.

31 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

"It appears it's mostly foreigners who don't actually live and work in Bangkok that are the most upset" Nailed it!. 

Indeed. Obviously someone is not a selfish prat.

I would have used a tank to crush the vendor stalls and fined the customers 1000 baht for littering.  Could have easily made  250,000 baht a day on fines.

Posts saying it's only farangs that want street food are retarded. How about the thousands of Thai 9-5ers who eat it daily cos it is cheap, convenient and tasty? Or the thousands who rely upon it for an income?

You're reading a forum for foreigners in Thailand so of course you're gonna hear complaints from foreigners. Not a lot of Thais posting here, and they complain little in public anyway. What are they gonna do - protest? Good luck.

Arguments re. tax evasion - who gives a fck? The only place tax money goes is into the pockets of senior officials.

Bring back the street food.

Yeah, I lived in Bangkok for 10 years and moved to Isaan 5 years ago. The last few times I've been down to Bangkok, the op's feeling about it was about the same as my own. Particularly interesting and certainly unforseen by the authorities are the effect it has of essentially making Bangkok perhaps somewhat more dangerous at night. I never used to have my street intuition kick in and say, "Pay attention!" But now, yeah, for sure. I'm not saying suddenly its a jungle out there at night, but yeah, its darker and very few are out in areas where there was lots of activity, you feel like should be at least marginally vigilant now.