PM Prayut blames lack of spirituality for country’s political turmoil

webfact

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He need to spend some time for his own spiritual reflection for his crimes and unusual wealth. 

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

Before the Thai were Buddhist they were spirit worshippers

maybe he is looking back to a golden age?

Or maybe the spirit he is alluding to these days is Lao Khao.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BuckBee said:

lack of honesty is the real issue .

This is too simplistic. Lack of truth would be more accurate but there needs to be a lot of sorting out if Thailand is to take its place alongside civilised countries in the first world.

The judicial system needs massive overall.

There must be a separation of civil and criminal.

Laws and sentencing need to be addressed and overhauled.

Policing must be uniformly applied fairly.

The military must do as requested by parliament.

Elections must be fair, seen to be fair and in the early stages Internationally monitored.

The people - from the top down must accept that corruption is not acceptable.

Education needs help; both for structure and content.

Also; separation of religion and state.

Also; <deleted>

Also; freedom of speech.

Lots of other issues including health care, Immigration, media freedom etc.

BUT!!! All the above is futile unless there is a fundamental belief that all Thais are equal. I don't see that happening any time soon.

I've little hope for fairness, equality and change in the Thailand that I live in.

7 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Spirituality don't pay the bills....

Unfortunately too many Thais believe it will help pay the bills. Praying for lottery numbers, school entrance, exam results, promotion ad infinitum.

Heaven forbid one of these requests get granted ; then any doubters get turned into a 2 legged version of Pavlov's dog !

33 minutes ago, kannot said:

mumbo  jumbo religious  crap....................oh  wait  i  must  respect  religious crap for  fear  of  offending  the  crap  spouter................religion ,  the  last  bastion of  stupidity that MUST NOT be challenged

KEY WORDS:  "MUST NOT be challenged"............ accept it or face prosecution...........

Yes.......... with religion you can lead the 'masses' over the cliff...........

Edited to correct spelling........

Edited by sawadeeken
edited to correct spelling

9 hours ago, webfact said:

what he calls “a moral blanket” against ill practices.

"religion is the opium for the people" by Karl Marx did not work and is outdated anyway. Prayuth lives in his "yesterday" and tries to promote his view every Friday. But without new ideas to develop this country it will be only speech bubbles. Maybe he is too old and as a soldier not intelligent?

I think we all know Theocracies rarely/never work, it's the old "power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely." That comical sideshow of people laying on of hands to President Trump recently made me shudder. Religion would be great if it weren't for people. I like the firm and complete separation of Gov't from religion. Pity really, but human nature always takes it's toll on good governance. I trust and hope Thailand takes the time and effort to steer in the right direction. Even though it's not much of my business I do wish Thailand and the Thai well.

Has it been 30 military coups in 50 years or 50 coups in 30 years? Of course, violent armed theft of democracy and the vitually constant fiddling with the basic principles of rule of law by a string of  perpetrator couldn't possibly be considered a threat to democratic political stability in the nation. could it?

15 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Has it been 30 military coups in 50 years or 50 coups in 30 years? Of course, violent armed theft of democracy and the vitually constant fiddling with the basic principles of rule of law by a string of  perpetrator couldn't possibly be considered a threat to democratic political stability in the nation. could it?

yes, but the cause is still well hidden even tho its in plain site. look up on wikipedia who the real head of the thai army is and then you will see why this is never ending

Maybe the PM would enlighten us with his teachings of Adharma so we can find out what is the wrong way...he might learn a thing or two about himself!

Edited by TKDfella
rewite

“I just want you to be thoughtful about the country a bit and have conscience enough to be able to think of some religious principles that we can apply to our present political problems,” he said. 

Give us one example of how you apply these principals in your own administration. Just one. Bet you can't. The easiest thing in the world to do, it to lecture others, on how they should get their affairs in order. The hardest thing in the world to do, is to get one's own affairs in order, and engage in the practice of self improvement. The guy at the top has a lot of work to do, in that department. 

However, having said that, there are a rather extraordinary number of examples that we can come up with, in regard to the society not living up to it's Buddhavistic principals. But, that could be said about nearly any country. 

9 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

Not that I think it's a genuine appraisal but taken at its face value it is IMV, the wrong way round; too much spirituality is present at the expense of rational thinking due to lack of education and a reprehensible, unaccountable system.

Three years two months has been, again IMV, enough, if the political will had been present, to change that and I don't mean tinkering at the edges of it to give the impression that it needs donkeys' years to do.

Where can the populace go but into animism, quasi Buddhism, drinking, gambling and prostitution with such lack of prospects and confidence and how disappointed the more decent and politically aware must be in the travestying dished out to excuse proper reform.

Insightful commentary. Followed.

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

Blame everyone except some deeply corrupt politicians who have brought Thailand to its knees

"Blame everyone except some deeply corrupt politicians who have brought Thailand to its knees"

10 hours ago, JAG said:

"Dharma based democracy", "transition to a better democracy", "reconciliation", "lack of spirituality"...

It's like an off the wall political science course.

A spade is a spade and this is a military junta, installed by a military coup to do the bidding of a small extremely wealthy group. They are now attempting to cement themselves into power.

I have only been here just over 2 years. I was on line studying about the reds and yellows when i came across a photo of a "boy scout" 3 finger salute with Thai writing on the fingers, I made a copy and asked our only English speaking security guard. He panicked telling me I can be arrested for using the symbol. I 

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0117.JPG

1 hour ago, tbthailand said:

spirituality is not the answer to a lack of democracy or political turmoil .... 

But, surprise, the coup-maker would be someone to say something as dumb as that, ... 

Recently I was studying about the reds vs yellows. Essentially I learned reds wanted social reforms and the yellows wanted status quo using symbolism of the monarchy as an excuse to continue keeping the wealthy in power. I came upon a symbol, (image with translation below) I found no explanation so took a copy to our only English speaking security guard. He panicked, saying I can be arrested for this symbol. As this is a Buddhist nation I will close with an image of an actual quote from the Buddha. 

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

Just now, Grumpy Duck said:

Recently I was studying about the reds vs yellows. Essentially I learned reds wanted social reforms and the yellows wanted status quo using symbolism of the monarchy as an excuse to continue keeping the wealthy in power. I came upon a symbol, (image with translation below) I found no explanation so took a copy to our only English speaking security guard. He panicked, saying I can be arrested for this symbol. As this is a Buddhist nation I will close with an image of an actual quote from the Buddha. 

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

I also find it somewhat ironic perhaps that the 3 finger salute is used by the conservative Boy Scouts of America. 

I sometimes think that the only way they could get fair government here is if they contracted it out.

The citizens are just too used to letting the big dog eat.  They should be outraged every single day, yet they barely notice. And the same kind of corruption would likely occur no matter who they got in because that's is what they expect and how they behave at all levels.