• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 51

Bangkok Suffers Severe Smog as PM2.5 Levels Soar Amidst Heat Wave

2. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

3. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

4. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

5. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

6. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

7. 563

White Culture

8. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

9. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

10. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

11. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

14. 125

Trump chickens out again.

Head of Polish constitutional court sees no threat in judicial reform

webfact

Head of Polish constitutional court sees no threat in judicial reform

tag-reuters.jpg

People gather during a protest against the Supreme Court legislation in Wroclaw, Poland, July 23, 2017. Agencja Gazeta/Mieczys³aw Michalak via REUTERS

WARSAW (Reuters) - Poland's Constitutional Tribunal President Julia Przylebska said that she sees no threat to the division of powers in an overhaul of the judicial system that has brought tens of thousands of people into the streets in protest.

Senators of the ruling Law and Justice (PiS) party passed a bill that would remove all Supreme Court judges except those hand-picked by the justice minister. Critics say the laws will undermine judicial independence.

Now President Andrzej Duda is to decide whether to sign the bill, veto it - as the opposition and protesters demand - or send it to the Constitutional Tribunal, which PiS overhauled last year, drawing domestic opposition and criticism from the European Union.

"I see no threat to the division of powers in Poland," Przylebska, who was appointed by Duda last year, told state TV last night, according to state news agency PAP.

Przylebska said three bills overhauling the judiciary system recently approved by parliament will improve Polish courts.

Duda is to deliver a statement at 0800 GMT. Then he will meet the president of the top court, as well the head of the National Council of the Judiciary.

The overhaul of the judiciary, coupled with a drive by PiS to expand its powers in other areas, has provoked a crisis in relations with the European Union and sparked one of the biggest street protests since Poland overthrew communism in 1989.

(Reporting by Marcin Goclowski and Anna Koper, editing by Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-07-24

A test of judicial impartiality and political and religious independence is obviously thought to be necessary but a purge of this magnitude with re-selection by the executive exclusively seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Surely the law makers can come up with something more gradual and palatable to both the Polish people and the EU (if they so wish) or at least to make the age of retirement lower and future applications for judiciary positions subject to relevant qualification testing?

Polish courts are riddled with judges that were working for communists, communism is gone buy they not and thiers offspring is taking over. Thry got immunity. No other gov decided to clean it up.

They cry cuz loosing power.

EU thretens Poland with sanctions.

Funny is they imolementing exact jurisdical systam like there is in Germany!

Germans tells us that in Germany it works long thats why its stable.

Anyway why EU is telling Poland that they can do reforms or not?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, piersbeckett said:

A test of judicial impartiality and political and religious independence is obviously thought to be necessary but a purge of this magnitude with re-selection by the executive exclusively seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Surely the law makers can come up with something more gradual and palatable to both the Polish people and the EU (if they so wish) or at least to make the age of retirement lower and future applications for judiciary positions subject to relevant qualification testing?

It should be up to the Polish people. Not the Beurocrats in Brussels.

The pigs are kwiking cuz they loosing power.

President vetoed it. Funny cuz he is from same rulling party and voted agains it. I think its just game

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk