Can the traffffic get any worse?

elephant45

41 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

No sorry dont agree i have done that route many times always at night its a dream very little traffic. No more dangerous than driving on the A9 in the Highlands at night. 

Thailand number 2  in the world for deaths on the road disagrees with you

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Not my experience at all, but there you go.  Last time I drove in France I ended up in a 6 hour jam on the motorway near Nice.!  You can only judge by your own experiences. 

which is why accident statistics from each country provide a  much better picture than an individual account

Edited by kannot

59 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

No sorry dont agree i have done that route many times always at night its a dream very little traffic. No more dangerous than driving on the A9 in the Highlands at night. 

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

Thailand number 2  in the world for deaths on the road disagrees with you

No, that is not correct. It's been said many times that most deaths are motorcycle related and occur mainly on rural roads between the hours of 4 and 8pm.

Night journeys on main highways have little bearing on the overall statistics.

Edited by Moonlover

If you are in St Tropez area (French Riviera), in July and August its a standard issue to get jammed for hours, say if you drive from Sainte-Maxime to St- Tropez before noon and back around 5pm...and it's been bad to worse since years....public transport saves the issue once again if you take the boat to cross over...

As for Bangkok, who cares for bad traffic at peak hours? The skyTrain is salvation, though a few extra trains at peak hours would be more then welcome!... The River Boats also provide good mobility if your destinations are along the piers..

The future of commuters lies in well connected, cheap, 24/7 fast frequency public transport grids, as the roads are on saturation and may not look much better in the future...

Edited by observer90210

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No, that is not correct. It's been said many times that most deaths are motorcycle related and occur mainly on rural roads between the hours of 4 and 8pm.

Night journeys on main highways have little bearing on the overall statistics.

Who said they did have you quoted the wrong person ie ME

8 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Who said they did have you quoted the wrong person ie ME

Kannot said they did. It's right there in my post. See post 33. He was disagreeing with you. I came out in your support.

sorry if you're confused.

Edited by Moonlover

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

As for Bangkok, who cares for bad traffic at peak hours? The skyTrain is salvation, though a few extra trains at peak hours would be more then welcome!... The River Boats also provide good mobility if your destinations are along the piers..

Mass transit is a great thing for lots of purposes, but not very efficient for "surgical missions" of shopping.  I miss the car trunk for hitting the hardware store, putting 10 kg of tools into the trunk, then to the drug store and another 2 kg of goodies, then to the grocery store and another 20 kg of food and cleaning stuff, then pick up a 20 kg bag of fertilizer.   With a car, that's one trip, done and dusted.  With mass transit, that's at least 2-3 trips if it's doable at all, because I can't lug it all around from store to store.

And that doesn't even consider the fact that 90+% of the city and 99% of the country can't be reached by mass transit at all- at least not directly.  I love the MRT and BTS, but they're no substitute for a good road system and functioning traffic laws.

Edited by impulse

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Not my experience at all, but there you go.  Last time I drove in France I ended up in a 6 hour jam on the motorway near Nice.!  You can only judge by your own experiences. 

I believe the summer months have some big jams.  But at least you don't have insane bus and minivan drivers, scooters going the wrong way down the road, cars overtaking on curves, etc. LOL  I never saw those things.

And I've been in some really nasty traffic jams from Bang Saray to Issan.  Pure parking lot. LOL

9 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Sorry, but that can't be true.  Thailand may be the most dangerous country in the world for highway fatalities.  The UK is nowhere near.  There's a reason.  It's super dangerous.  And worse at night.  Yes, less traffic, but more drugged up and sleep deprived bus and minivan drivers! LOL Not to mention drunk drivers.

Edited by craigt3365

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Sorry, but that can't be true.  Thailand may be the most dangerous country in the world for highway fatalities.  The UK is nowhere near.  There's a reason.  It's super dangerous.  And worse at night.  Yes, less traffic, but more drugged up and sleep deprived bus and minivan drivers! LOL Not to mention drunk drivers.

Don't forget that functioning headlights seem to be optional here, especially on scooters.

The Auto Lobby in America is huge and supports that system. That same lobby, has no interest in selling trains etc. Perhaps wrong to a point on the rail thing, but I still have my belief on that form of corruption. I cannot believe that it doesn't work the same way here and yes I have driven in Jakarta and BKK. Jakarta the worse it seems. I just dont see the point of more roads = more cars theory which is what is happening here. Someday you will sit in your car anywhere and be waited on with food and drinks and your vehicle will never move. It will just be a status show. God knows how you will get to the car though. My original point is it wold be nice to have some way to get around other than roads. Bicycle too scary been run over once on a motorcycle, that was enough, two years in a wheelchair, hit and run. Sidewalks well we know how those work. Been hit in the forehead once with a pole, that hurt, another time tripped on some re-rod and got a piece stuck in my wrist. If you have lived in HKG, once you get used to it, it is fantastic. Last year I took Amtrak from Toledo to Chicago, 2.5hrs late and they acted like "leave me alone. that's norma

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Home / Influence & Lobbying / Lobbying / Industry: Automotive

Industry Profile: Summary, 2017

Year:

Total for Automotive: $17,191,326
Total Number of Clients Reported: 82
Total Number of Lobbyists Reported: 392
Total Number of Revolvers: 268 (68.4%)

icon_only_on_os.gifCampaign Contributions from this industry

View totals by: Client/Parent | Subsidiary/Affiliate

Client/Parent Total General Motors $3,930,000 Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers $2,310,000 Ford Motor Co $1,119,717 Fiat SpA $1,090,000 National Auto Dealers Assn $1,070,000 Assn of Global Automakers $747,711 Honda Motor Co $680,000 Nissan North America $640,000 Daimler AG $490,000 American International Auto Dealers Assn $370,000 Continental AG $300,000 Volkswagen AG $300,000 Specialty Equipment Market Assn $220,000 Webasto Group $210,000 Hyundai Motor Co $210,000 Tesla Motors $190,000 Kia Motors Corp $190,000 Toyota Motor Corp $184,000 Michelin North America $170,208 Robert Bosch LLC $170,000 Crawford Group $170,000 American Automotive Policy Council $160,000 BorgWarner Inc $130,000 Johnson Controls International $122,093 Delphi Automotive $119,986 Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Assn $112,396 Avis Budget Group $100,000 Auto Care Assn $100,000 Autoliv ASP $90,000 BMW $90,000 Coalition for Auto Repair Equality $90,000 Quality Parts Coalition $80,000 TRW Automotive $80,000 Tata Group $70,000 Bridgestone Corp $70,000 Allison Transmission $60,000 Japan Automobile Manufacturers Assn $60,000 Tenneco Inc $50,000 Snoqualmie Indian Tribe $50,000 Spartan Motors $50,000 Accuride Corp $50,000 ChargePoint Inc $50,000 Friedkin Group $45,000 LKQ Corp $45,000 Rassini International $43,715 National Mobility Equipment Dealers Assn $40,000 JM Family Enterprises $40,000 National Independent Auto Dealers Assn $30,000 Manufacturing Alliance of Communities $30,000 Porsche Automobile Holding SE $30,000 Cox Automotive $30,000 American Automotive Leasing Assn $30,000 American Car Rental Assn $30,000 Coalition Ignition Interlock Manufact $20,000 Elio Motors LLC $20,000 Natl Assn of Minority Automobile Dealers $20,000 US Coalition for Advanced Diesel Cars $20,000 Motor Vehicle Ancillary Product Assn $20,000 National Assn of Fleet Administrators $20,000 Golden Gate Bridge Highway & Trans Dist $20,000 JTEKT Corp $20,000 Yamaha Motor Co $20,000 National Auto Auction Assn $10,500 Tire Industry Assn $10,000 Copart Inc $10,000 Interstate-5 Consortium $10,000 Gentex Corp $10,000 Arcimoto $10,000 Carfax $6,000 Cardone Industries $5,000 Comscore Networks $0 Engine Manufacturers Assn $0 Workhorse Group $0 Mazda Motor Corp $0 Meritor WABCO $0 Magna Services of America $0 Japan Automobile Standards Intl Center $0
Search database by:

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so and if they are around its not on the 204/304/331 my prefered routes. As for uk/Thailand is was not comparing fatalities i was saying it is no more dangerous traveling at night on my routes than the A9 in the highlands. Of course there are no drugged up/ drunk drivers or sleep deprived mini bus drivers in the UK are there!!

Edited by jeab1980

Just now, jeab1980 said:

Not so and if they are around its not on the 204/304/331 my prefered routes. As for uk/Thailand is was not comparing fatalities i was saying it is no more dangerous traveling at night on my routes than the A9 in the highlands. Of course there are no drugged up/ drunk drivers or sleep deprived mini bus drivers in the UK are there!!

Do you follow all the accidents on 331?  It's insane.  Better now that it's 4 lanes.  But I've done that route a fair amount.  And guaranteed there are more sleep deprived drivers here than the UK!  Impossible to compare the two.

Just pay attention to the news.  Most bus/van accidents happen at night.  With deadly consequences.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:04 AM, craigt3365 said:

One hospital here alone does 3-4 rod implants in broken legs every day.  That's just one hospital and one procedure.

I don't guess wearing a helmet makes much difference on leg injuries, either.

14 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Do you follow all the accidents on 331?  It's insane.  Better now that it's 4 lanes.  But I've done that route a fair amount.  And guaranteed there are more sleep deprived drivers here than the UK!  Impossible to compare the two.

Just pay attention to the news.  Most bus/van accidents happen at night.  With deadly consequences.

I travel the route many times with absutley no problems, i dont need to watch the news thank you. Guaranteed eh proof of that would be good not just your take on it. Very possible and easy to compare the two.

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

eyes  wide shut I see..................normal then

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

dont waste your time with facts hes  oblivious to them

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I travel the route many times with absutley no problems, i dont need to watch the news thank you. Guaranteed eh proof of that would be good not just your take on it. Very possible and easy to compare the two.

yes  by  looking at Thailands road deaths, pretty simple , but according to you  its " no more dangerous" as you werent comparing  fatalities, funny as if a  fatality isnt dangerous

^Some people use statistics as a drunk uses a lamppost "for support rather than illumination". 

So driving anywhere in non-nanny state Asia is more dangerous than driving in nanny state Europe. So is walking through long grass. These threads get tiresome after a while. 

Edited by VocalNeal

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Mass transit is a great thing for lots of purposes, but not very efficient for "surgical missions" of shopping.  I miss the car trunk for hitting the hardware store, putting 10 kg of tools into the trunk, then to the drug store and another 2 kg of goodies, then to the grocery store and another 20 kg of food and cleaning stuff, then pick up a 20 kg bag of fertilizer.   With a car, that's one trip, done and dusted.  With mass transit, that's at least 2-3 trips if it's doable at all, because I can't lug it all around from store to store.

And that doesn't even consider the fact that 90+% of the city and 99% of the country can't be reached by mass transit at all- at least not directly.  I love the MRT and BTS, but they're no substitute for a good road system and functioning traffic laws.

Just for the weekend groceries, I agree that it is inconvenient to impossible to tug along the shopping when living in urban metros...

I try to have my groceries delivered after choosing them in person in the shop and always try to bargain a discounted delivery for heavy stuff, but not always possible or practical I agree.

But on the other hand one can build 5 extra fly over roads on each existing road, it will saturate at one point as populations increase,  access to a car is easy today for the masses and our commuting habbits don't change. Not to mention many commuters use 2 or 3 cars instead of car sharing...

The future lies perhaps in more efficient roads but definately needs for a change in our mobility patterns and from society in general.

However, don't get my point mistaken, I would never adhere to a community where only the rich and connected could afford to use their cars or to a society that bans cars from urban areas as it is the case in many European or UK cities...so what is the solution?

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

^Some people use statistics as a drunk uses a lamppost "for support rather than illumination". 

So driving anywhere in non-nanny state Asia is more dangerous than driving in nanny state Europe. So is walking through long grass. These threads get tiresome after a while. 

when the statistics are so incredibly  different it  gives you a pretty good  idea of how safe a  country is, with Thailands deaths per 100k inhabitants on the roads way larger than many other countries, especially  the ones quoted in this thread.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

yes  by  looking at Thailands road deaths, pretty simple , but according to you  its " no more dangerous" as you werent comparing  fatalities, funny as if a  fatality isnt dangerous

I reiterate i was not comparing road deaths I was comparing travelling my routes being no more dangerous to traveling the A9 in the Highlands at night . If you sre having problems understanding that im sorry there is little more i can do to explain it for you.

Just now, jeab1980 said:

I reiterate i was not comparing road deaths I was comparing travelling my routes being no more dangerous to traveling the A9 in the Highlands at night . If you sre having problems understanding that im sorry there is little more i can do to explain it for you.

But surely  if  people die on that route in higher numbers then what you say  makes no sense?

1 minute ago, barrywhite said:

But surely  if  people die on that route in higher numbers then what you say  makes no sense?

How many times i re-iterate i am comparing roads not road deaths.

Just now, jeab1980 said:

How many times i re-iterate i am comparing roads not road deaths.

Roads here are absolutely dreadful compared to Europe or the US.  Terrible state.  No guard rails, no shoulders, no places to easily pull off.  Try the new highway to Bangkok.  There's no place for incoming traffic to merge.  That would never be allowed in Europe or the US.

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

That would never be allowed in Europe or the US.

Well it is allowed here until improvements are made so get use to it.

There other roads you can use if you don't like the ones you use.

This high rate accident stuff,  carnage,  road deaths etc etc is always being bought up on threads.

Just curious to know how many say Westerners deaths happen per year are among the total. ? ?