Raid at Pattaya department store nets pirated goods - but all sellers manage to escape

webfact

Raid at Pattaya department store nets pirated goods - but all sellers manage to escape

3pm.jpg

video screenshot

PATTAYA: -- A raid at a dozen shops at a Pattaya beach department store yielded hundreds of fake brand name goods.

But every one of the managers and manageresses selling the goods managed to melt into the surroundings and escape.

Trading standards officers seized around 300 items such as bags, clothes, shoes, watches and belts. They said losses to the manufacturers of the real thing were 10 million baht in this case.

A video showing some of the items including Gucci belts and a Newcastle United football jersey was posted online.

But all the people selling the goods got away during the raid, said Channel 3 on Facebook.

The authorities promised to go after those responsible for producing the goods.

In line with common practice in Thai media the department store was not named.

Source: Channel 3

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-25

This is just hysterical. 12 stores and every single staff member managed to slide away. After it had happened a couple of times, did they not notice a pattern and keep a closer eye on the staff, or were they too busy stealing as much as they could? Additionally laughable insofar that if they successfully managed to take all of the fake goods from ALL of the stalls and stores across town, there would be nothing left for anyone to buy!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The authorities promised to go after those responsible for producing the goods.

Good luck with that. Cant see many cross-border incidents happening in the near future.

I reckon they will find most of the items have been smuggled into Thailand.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Is this Mike Shopping Mall? I was talking to one of the ladies there last year and she said if there's a raid they help each other by giving the raided person goods to sell. This sounds like a big one though

Don't ask. Don't tell. Press isn't supposed to say. What a country!

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Trading standards officers seized around 300 items such as bags, clothes, shoes, watches and belts. They said losses to the manufacturers of the real thing were 10 million baht in this case.

WOW an average of 330K per confiscated item.

And no, the original manufacturers didn't lose a dime, because the buyers of the copycats would never consider paying the rip off price for the originals.

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I bought some t-shirts from MBK a few years back and despite heavy wear and wash, still going as new...for 1/10 of the price....who can beat that?:clap2:

I have Levi's 501 and Armani's which i bought more than 20 years ago at Made in Thailand, at 175 Baht at that time.

I bought 2 original Boss at Royal Garden about 1.5 year ago, and they are ready to be thrown away as they are falling apart.

11 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I have Levi's 501 and Armani's which i bought more than 20 years ago at Made in Thailand, at 175 Baht at that time.

I bought 2 original Boss at Royal Garden about 1.5 year ago, and they are ready to be thrown away as they are falling apart.

I am tempted to assume that a fake Made in Thailand is of better quality then the genuine Made in China!!

the losses on the side of the brand manufacturers is THB 15mn. 

Not entirely true..........People who buy counterfeit will most probably never buy the real deal. 

My guess is the the actual loss for the famous brands is somewhat around THB 100k

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is just hysterical. 12 stores and every single staff member managed to slide away. After it had happened a couple of times, did they not notice a pattern and keep a closer eye on the staff, or were they too busy stealing as much as they could? Additionally laughable insofar that if they successfully managed to take all of the fake goods from ALL of the stalls and stores across town, there would be nothing left for anyone to buy!

Also, the statement that the genuine manufacturers such as Gucci lost 10 million baht as a result of all these fake goods being offered is absolute rubbish, as none of the customers paying (say) 1000 to 2000 baht for a fake Gucci bag would ever consider paying tens of thousands for one.  Those buying the fake bags are merely walking advertisements for Gucci.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is this Mike Shopping Mall? I was talking to one of the ladies there last year and she said if there's a raid they help each other by giving the raided person goods to sell. This sounds like a big one though

It sounds like Mike, seen this before, next day trading as usual, do BIB burn the gear ? ....doubt it  ....

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! One assistant Supervisor has been arrested! ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! The RTP as the professional organization they are has arrested Juanita Lopez a Thai- Mexican! Juanita was hiding out in the hong nam for 22 hours. There will be a photo op and a reconstruction of the crime at 12:00PM at Mike's Department Store! Please show up and show your support for Juanita!

Another "lip service" to the law.

I cannot understand why "authorities" in Thailand can not see how stupid their actions sometimes are when viewed by the rest of the world (by western nations at least).  We are in an era of worldwide communications and media access and Thai "authorities" still have the heads stuck in the sand (or another place where the Sun does not shine) pretending and proclaiming that all is well. TIT :sad: