Hundreds stranded in Phuket as ‘technical problems’ ground Moscow flight

webfact

Hundreds stranded in Phuket as ‘technical problems’ ground Moscow flight

Anton Makhrov

1500951020_1-org.jpg

Rossiya’s Boeing 747 (EI-XLJ) pictured at Vnukovo airport, Moscow. Photo: Papas Dos / Wikimedia Commons

PHUKET: -- The remainder of some 500 passengers bound for Moscow are hoping to finally take off from Phuket today (July 25) after spending an extra two days on the island as their aircraft has experienced some “technical problems”.

Rossiya Flight FV5876 was scheduled to depart Phuket for Moscow on Sunday (July 23), but as of today the plane has yet to take off.

The flight was delayed due to some “technical problem” with the aircraft, reports Russia’s TASS agency. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/hundreds-stranded-in-phuket-as-technical-problems-ground-moscow-flight-63178.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-07-25

Registration number appears to be anomalous . According to Planespotters.net site, they fly two leases 747s. One (EI-XLC is 17.6 years old while the other (EI-XLD) is 19 years old. That said they may have leased some others for the summer season. Either way, old aircraft.

4 hours ago, laocowboy2 said:

Registration number appears to be anomalous . According to Planespotters.net site, they fly two leases 747s. One (EI-XLC is 17.6 years old while the other (EI-XLD) is 19 years old. That said they may have leased some others for the summer season. Either way, old aircraft.

The service-life for a large airliner I believe is 25 years.

17 & 19 year old B747's aren't particularly old as airliners go.

7 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

In Russia, that's old!

Yes, I suppose service life is somewhat dependent on servicing etc...

On the photo it looks like one of the engine covers is open, might be a clue to the problem.

Apparently the overloading of aircraft has been a common factor in air crashes in Russia/former-Soviet Union.

20 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

The service-life for a large airliner I believe is 25 years.

17 & 19 year old B747's aren't particularly old as airliners go.

At least Boeing stopped calling the 747-300 : 747 SUD ( stretched upper deck) after it was pointed out to them that SUD in medical terminology/annotation stands for sudden unexplained death. Maybe apocryphal. In any case it was soon replaced by the 747-400 and extended upper deck became the term.

38 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

At least Boeing stopped calling the 747-300 : 747 SUD ( stretched upper deck) after it was pointed out to them that SUD in medical terminology/annotation stands for sudden unexplained death. Maybe apocryphal. In any case it was soon replaced by the 747-400 and extended upper deck became the term.

Yes, I think the 747-400 was launched in 1992 (first ones would be 25 years old now). No need for the flight-engineer either.

Some years ago I think Phuket Air had some 747-100/200's, they were old! Something to do with some of their problems maybe?