Cor blimey! "EastEnders" star said he'd be brown bread but for the Thais

snoop1130

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

COR BLIMY (BLOODY HELL) WOULD HAVE BEEN BROWN BREAD. (I WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD.

Just slang sayings.Like up the stick. (SHE IS HAVING A BABY)

Actually it's not just a slang saying like "up the stick."  It's Cockney rhyming slang, whice requires the last word of the slang phrase to rhyme with the word it represents.  The equivalent saying (albeit a relatively recent coining) is "Keith Cheggers" (rhymes with "preggers") meaning pregnant.

Other examples would be:

"Apples and pears" - stairs

"Flowery dell" - cell

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

Maybe our British members on here can translate, as an Aussie and member of the British Commonwealth I'm not sure what the headline means.  

Brown Bread is generally considered better and healthier for you so is he complaining about thais?  Then I look at the photo and interpret something to the contrary.  What on earth does the headline actually mean?

It means that if the Thais had not found him he would be (Brown Bread = "Dead") .. its Cockney rhyming slang from London son ... 25 years man an boy I have understood it son  ";0)

there is a great early film "None But The Lonely Heart" 1944 with a  young Cary Grant who plays a miscreant  cockney in East London.  Grants character explains how the sentences are constructed to his love interest in the film. 

Edited by malibukid

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

"I would have been dead if it weren't for the people in the place I was in."

Not to downplay the involvement of the rescuers, but I don't think the fact that they were Thai really had anything to do with it.

have to ask why not, there didn't seem to be a bunch of russians roaming around ready to save him.

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Maybe our British members on here can translate, as an Aussie and member of the British Commonwealth I'm not sure what the headline means.  

Brown Bread is generally considered better and healthier for you so is he complaining about thais?  Then I look at the photo and interpret something to the contrary.  What on earth does the headline actually mean?

Did you read the story, not just the headline? The article explains in the last sentence that brown bread is slang for dead. 

Yesterday the head of the local spa association Sitphasu Thongsuk was the latest high profile visitor giving Paul the opportunity to tell Daily News how much he loved the Thais.

And a cheap advertisement for the spa of course... why on earth would they otherwise be interested in a "burnt-out, broke"

ex wannabie?

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Did you read the story, not just the headline? The article explains in the last sentence that brown bread is slang for dead. 

Did you read the replies, not just the comment? The answer to this question was given twice, already.

10 hours ago, Thechook said:

'Brown bread' me old China plate, is rhyming slang for 'Ethel and Fred', 'Father Ted' or 'Right said Fred', which is to say deceased.

6 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Hospitals don't smile for a reason. That too coming out with a gift pack is even suspicious.:post-4641-1156694572:

Yes its funny how these Thai institutions change their tune when there's some media publicity. 5555555 giving him a gift pack now they know he's a minor celeb.

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

Brown bread equals dead mate.

13 hours ago, Thechook said:

... 'Brown Bread' Eastend of London Cockney Rhyme, 'Dead'. 

Loads of 'em

Rhythm and blues... shoes.

China plate.......mate.

Rubbadub....pub

Whistleand flute...suite

Frog and toad ........

Aristotle...arse ( it works like this.. Aristotle= bottle. Bottle and glass= arse)

norf and souf.  mouth

Loaf of bread...head

Apples and pears...stairs

There's loads. i hope that satisfy's our Ozzie cousins. For further examples, i am available for weddings, christenings and barmitzvahs.

22 hours ago, shaurene said:

COR BLIMY (BLOODY HELL) WOULD HAVE BEEN BROWN BREAD. (I WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD.

Just slang sayings.Like up the stick. (SHE IS HAVING A BABY)

Cor blimey is derived from 'God blind me'.

Edited by piersbeckett
punctuation error