Be careful when checking out with Paypal

janclaes47

My credit card is linked to my Paypal account, and previously it was just a setting in your Paypal account that the currency conversion should be done by your CC company instead of using the rip off Paypal exchange rate.

Then some time ago they removed that setting and at the checkout it would automatically use the Paypal rip off exchange, but it was easy to notice, and also easy to switch to your preferred option.

But they have changed it again.

I just made a purchase on Ebay, and of course they used the rip off Paypal conversion, but they hid it so well by putting your CC logo next to it, so that you would assume the conversion would be done by your CC.

Luckily I noticed it before clicking pay now, but then they also changed the way how you can switch the conversion method to your preferred one.

Where it previously was just clicking on the showing rate and selecting the other option, it was now really a PITA to get it changed.

They hid it so well that I started believing that it already was the CC method, and I had to make several clicks before I even got the option to change.

Take note of this since forewarned is forearmed.

Both ebay and paypal are sneaky. I filled in a paypal survey the other day and slaughtered them. I actually got threatened once by ebay that my account would be closed if i didn't remove "payment by cheque only"

I noticed on ebay yesterday you can select payment by credit card option rather than paypal, so no need for paypal it seems

I only use desktop version, and however I could pay with my CC directly, I like PP for the security options they offer.

Whenever there has been an issue with a supplier it has been sorted by Paypal, and since a few years if you have to send the item back, they also cover the return cost.

Plus i have a double security. If PP doesn't refund me I can still try a CC charge back.

Edited by janclaes47

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I noticed on ebay yesterday you can select payment by credit card option rather than paypal, so no need for paypal it seems

Ebay spun off Paypal as a separate company 2 years ago. It took some time for them to disentangle themselves and they still have something of a symbiotic relationship, but eBay doesn't have the same motivation to insist you use PayPal.

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Both ebay and paypal are sneaky. I filled in a paypal survey the other day and slaughtered them. I actually got threatened once by ebay that my account would be closed if i didn't remove "payment by cheque only"

Problem is people like to pay by PayPal for the protection it offers and since they do not pay the fees, its really a no brainer.

I hate those rip off fees PayPal, and eBay charge, but what do you do, I've been able to move stuff on there that I didn't even get a call for from other places.

I have paypal but have never used it. I got the app world remit and tried twice with small funds from my home bank to my thai bank and it worked well using the going exchange rate. Takes three days before it is posted in the bank.

1 hour ago, Straight8 said:

Problem is people like to pay by PayPal for the protection it offers and since they do not pay the fees, its really a no brainer.

I hate those rip off fees PayPal, and eBay charge, but what do you do, I've been able to move stuff on there that I didn't even get a call for from other places.

When in the UK i always use Gumtree now to sell stuff. Its free and i usually sell it within days. Everyone comes round to pick up. I stopped selling years ago on ebay due to fees and arrogant attitude. I appreciate if you are trading then ebay is good for you

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

When in the UK i always use Gumtree now to sell stuff. Its free and i usually sell it within days. Everyone comes round to pick up. I stopped selling years ago on ebay due to fees and arrogant attitude. I appreciate if you are trading then ebay is good for you

e-bs owns gumtree, since quite a few years im surprised they havent monetized it yet.

stopped using e-bs and rip pay a long time ago after selling more than 1000 s/h items with 2 negs.

once they started screwing the seller and fees rose i bailed.

by then they had bought up every competing site to have a monopoly

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Either you sell things are bargain basement prices or UK gumtree is completely different to the Australian Gumtree. Try selling something in the OZ Gumtree, and you'll know why we call it scumtree.

1 hour ago, Straight8 said:

Either you sell things are bargain basement prices or UK gumtree is completely different to the Australian Gumtree. Try selling something in the OZ Gumtree, and you'll know why we call it scumtree.

You mean like fleabay? I use Gumtree to sell golf clubs, works for me.

On 25/07/2017 at 6:57 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Beware of the pay by debit / credit card option. I tried using it recently and it still goes through PayPal it seems. I got an email from them wanting me to provide a copy of my driving license or passport and a recent utility bill to the address registered to my old PayPal account that I no longer have access to before they would forward the money to the ebay seller.

Initially I assumed it was a dodgy phising email and forwarded it to PayPals scam reporting email address but it turns out it was genuinely from PayPal. After contacting them it turns out that they just want me to validate my old account and prove my identity and their way of trying to force me to do that is by withholding my money.

I've told them I don't want to validate an old account that I no longer use or have access to the email address attached to it and that I cannot provide proof of an old address as I no longer have any bills go there. They still insist that I provide the information and that I send it by fax of all things. And just to be helpful they only ever send me emails from an "unmonitored mailbox " that there is no point replying to.

I have told them to just put the money back in my bank account and cancel the order but they refuse to do that.

So the situation is that they are refusing to pass my money on to the seller unless I provide information that I am unable to and they are also refusing to refund it. Basically they have taken my money and it would seem intend to just keep it!!

I have contacted my bank who told me to wait until 15 days had passed from the date of the original transaction and contact them again to raise a dispute with the card company (visa) as I have paid for goods but not received them. 

I've now done that so will wait to see if I can get my money refunded that way but all in all It has left me pretty peeved off with PayPal. A bit of searching on the internet comes up with untold accounts of similar situations where they think it is okay to just keep people's money so as far as I am concerned both ebay and PayPal can get stuffed in future and I won't use either of them anymore due to PayPal being borderline crooks and apparently having many many tricks they like to use to rip people off.

19 minutes ago, fandango71 said:

Beware of the pay by debit / credit card option. I tried using it recently and it still goes through PayPal it seems. I got an email from them wanting me to provide a copy of my driving license or passport and a recent utility bill to the address registered to my old PayPal account that I no longer have access to before they would forward the money to the ebay seller.

Initially I assumed it was a dodgy phising email and forwarded it to PayPals scam reporting email address but it turns out it was genuinely from PayPal. After contacting them it turns out that they just want me to validate my old account and prove my identity and their way of trying to force me to do that is by withholding my money.

I've told them I don't want to validate an old account that I no longer use or have access to the email address attached to it and that I cannot provide proof of an old address as I no longer have any bills go there. They still insist that I provide the information and that I send it by fax of all things. And just to be helpful they only ever send me emails from an "unmonitored mailbox " that there is no point replying to.

I have told them to just put the money back in my bank account and cancel the order but they refuse to do that.

So the situation is that they are refusing to pass my money on to the seller unless I provide information that I am unable to and they are also refusing to refund it. Basically they have taken my money and it would seem intend to just keep it!!

I have contacted my bank who told me to wait until 15 days had passed from the date of the original transaction and contact them again to raise a dispute with the card company (visa) as I have paid for goods but not received them. 

I've now done that so will wait to see if I can get my money refunded that way but all in all It has left me pretty peeved off with PayPal. A bit of searching on the internet comes up with untold accounts of similar situations where they think it is okay to just keep people's money so as far as I am concerned both ebay and PayPal can get stuffed in future and I won't use either of them anymore due to PayPal being borderline crooks and apparently having many many tricks they like to use to rip people off.

Your post doesn't surprise me. Paypal is dodgy, i avoid whenever possible

I got burned by Paypal once. Managed to recover the money once I proved to my bank that I could not  have made the purchases for which I was charged, but thought never again. So the one disadvantage is that I cannot buy stuff on Ebay as they only accept payment through Paypal.

wouldn't use paypal ever again, had an account for several years until someone hacked into my account bought from ebay and sent to Vietnam, as my bank account was linked to paypal the money was taken out besides my protest to paypal and pointing out the in-authorised use, it took weeks to reverse the charge and I was still left with extra charges as the exchange rate changed and they refused to cancel the account, so paypal for me never ever again 

On 26/07/2017 at 0:57 AM, scubascuba3 said:

You can even pay with a Credit card thru Paypal, which is what the OP is discussing, and still get Paypal ptotection.

Yes, Paypal is extremely devious. I discovered this many years ago when dishonestly, they used to post a window saying that u would pay more if u paid for an Ebay purchase with an American Express Card. I checked and this was untrue. They just wanted u to use Mastercard or Visa card for which they paid a smaller fee. Again when booking a flight thru them  at a promo price with the AMEX card, the confirmation was delayed, but the airline said to wait as it sometimes took a day or 2 to come thru. It never came thru and I had to rebook and pay the full price for the flight; about £60 more. Paypal claimed that AMEX never offered the payment but AMEX said the payment was declined by Paypal. Since then I go out of my way to pay for every Ebay Paypal purchase with my AMEX card to ensure they pay much more in AMEX fees than the £60 they refused to compensate me. I actually never wanted to open a Paypal account but they somehow forced me to when making an Ebay purchase many moons ago. It was impossible to make the purchase unless I opened the account. Totally devious!!!