how the hell does my prepaid DTAC work?

Ebenweb

i got a SIM setup at Icon Square the other day and, from what i can gather from the DTAC codes i found online, they got me onto a 5-day unlimited plan. i'm here for two weeks, so i'm going to need to change that.

my past experience was with AIS, where i just put credit against my data allowance and i could check to see the balance at any time.

i don't mind unlimited per se,  but i don't know what codes to use to see when it expires. i also don't know what it would cost to get unlimited for two more weeks, or even what the 5-day plan i'm on now costs.

of course, when i "call" the dtac codes i get back thai language messages, so my interpretation of them is limited to say the least :)

If you only want to know your balance then dial *101*9#

You can also download the Dtac app to review your usage.

If you need to top up your balance then any Family Mart will do it for you over the counter when you give them your number.

You will receive a text message confirming your new balance before you can walk out the door.

I don't use mobile internet much so I use their 24hr access pre-paid internet.

Dial *104*881*9# and for 19 baht you get 24 hours internet.

The speed is fast (up to 60/30) for the first 500MB.

After that it slows to 64Kbps but 500 MB is plenty for me.

15 hours ago, kkerry said:

If you only want to know your balance then dial *101*9#

You can also download the Dtac app to review your usage.

If you need to top up your balance then any Family Mart will do it for you over the counter when you give them your number.

You will receive a text message confirming your new balance before you can walk out the door.

I don't use mobile internet much so I use their 24hr access pre-paid internet.

Dial *104*881*9# and for 19 baht you get 24 hours internet.

The speed is fast (up to 60/30) for the first 500MB.

After that it slows to 64Kbps but 500 MB is plenty for me.

good information.

Go to any 7-11,, (maybe others like Family Mart, I don't know), Tell them say,,, "$300Baht DTAC online",,, they'll punch some keys on the register,, you then,, input your DTAC number into the keypad on the counter,,, "0835411XXX", then hit, "enter",,,,They'll punch some more keys on the register,, then you'll get an immediate SMS from DTAC, saying you've added $300Baht,,, MUCH easier than the scratch-off, punch tons of numbers into your phone,, etc,,,, 

Edited by Adeeos

2 hours ago, Adeeos said:

Go to any 7-11,, (maybe others like Family Mart, I don't know), Tell them say,,, "$300Baht DTAC online",,, they'll punch some keys on the register,, you then,, input your DTAC number into the keypad on the counter,,, "0835411XXX", then hit, "enter",,,,They'll punch some more keys on the register,, then you'll get an immediate SMS from DTAC, saying you've added $300Baht,,, MUCH easier than the scratch-off, punch tons of numbers into your phone,, etc,,,, 

This is correct - he has to put money on the account first, but after that he then has to change his plan by dialing the number for the plan. List is here.

It's not hard to do - I occasionally forget to top up my account at the end of the month, so after topping it up (I personally do it online) I punch the codes in to re-subscribe to my plan. 

'Don't know what kind of phone you have, but on my iPhone you can get to your account via Settings.  With money on balance, you can then select add-on packages (e.g., data packages) from there.  (It can be accessed in English via a dropdown menu choice.  The UI might take some poking around to learn ...)  The easiest way for you to add to your balance is probably via 7-11 topup cards as mentioned above.   If you've got other needs, a trip to a DTAC center is probably the best way to go.

The "Unlimited" you're referring to probably refers to some package which includes data that goes with the initial purchase of the sim.  All you need to keep the voice/text going is adding to the balance, as you mentioned doing for AIS.  Use the 7-11 top-up cards for that.  If you want to keep the data going as well, at any reasonable speed or for any reasonable price, it's probably easiest to just visit a DTAC shop for a data package.  The data packages can be of a type that automatically renews monthly, and if so will do so if there's enough money left on balance, so be aware of that if you're planning to keep the sim and phone no. for use on later visits.  (These auto-renewing packages can also be cancelled from your account if you can access it via Settings as I mentioned in the 1st paragraph.  You might want to get someone in a DTAC shop to show you around that.)

Edited by hawker9000

2 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

'Don't know what kind of phone you have, but on my iPhone you can get to your account via Settings.  With money on balance, you can then select add-on packages (e.g., data packages) from there.  (It can be accessed in English via a dropdown menu choice.  The UI might take some poking around to learn ...)  The easiest way for you to add to your balance is probably via 7-11 topup cards as mentioned above.   If you've got other needs, a trip to a DTAC center is probably the best way to go.

The "Unlimited" you're referring to probably refers to some package which includes data that goes with the initial purchase of the sim.  All you need to keep the voice/text going is adding to the balance, as you mentioned doing for AIS.  Use the 7-11 top-up cards for that.  If you want to keep the data going as well, at any reasonable speed or for any reasonable price, it's probably easiest to just visit a DTAC shop for a data package.  The data packages can be of a type that automatically renews monthly, and if so will do so if there's enough money left on balance, so be aware of that if you're planning to keep the sim and phone no. for use on later visits.  (These auto-renewing packages can also be cancelled from your account if you can access it via Settings as I mentioned in the 1st paragraph.  You might want to get someone in a DTAC shop to show you around that.)

Yes, it works exactly as anywhere else in the world. Nice that you take time to explain what I was thinking even Papuan people knew !

Try *104*758# and then the dial key after topping up at least 110 baht. That may get you 4GB over 15 days.

If that doesn't work.

*104*883# for low data user gets you 600MB slowing down to 128 kbps over seven days for 85 baht. 

*104*884# gets you 1GB slowing down to 128 kbps over 7 days for 106 baht.

*104*853# gets you 1.5GB over 30 days for 213 baht.

There are a lot of possible combinations. It all comes down to what you need.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2017 at 2:15 AM, JamJar said:

Try *104*758# and then the dial key after topping up at least 110 baht. That may get you 4GB over 15 days.

So if I bought a sim in 7-11 for 49 baht is this sort of deal widespread?

Planning a trip to Chiang Mai for a few months but not for a month or so...

Thanks

Just now, driver52 said:

PS And does this work as a 'portable hotspot'?

Yes. Mobile AP is supported here in any/all mobile data packages.

In some countries, some providers may block this capability on certain packages, but offer it for an extra charge/fee.

On 17/08/2017 at 9:49 AM, driver52 said:

So if I bought a sim in 7-11 for 49 baht is this sort of deal widespread?

Planning a trip to Chiang Mai for a few months but not for a month or so...

Thanks

Yes. Will work with any DTAC prepaid SIM.