Racism and Bigotry Among Thailand Expats

15 minutes ago, TheLobster said:

You seem like a bit of an ignorant twit from your post, but I'll give you a chance to explain before unloading both barrels. Where is my free ride?

The pavements you walk on fix themself? Sonny ignorance and twit should be tattooed on your forehead with your weak ramblings get to bed.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Maybe. Though if we assume you hired the person who could do the better job, then the selection was not racist.

It's also possible that you open the first day of interviews for your job for non-caucasians also, so that you can give a minority group the chance to get a foot through the door... But as long as you select based on ability there's no bigotry.

I'd prefer you conduct your interviews primarily by telephone - inviting Curriculum Vitae which must not include any images - which would further promote your self regard NOT ONLY as a non-racist person but also as an equal opportunities employer who wouldn't change their mind if the successful applicant turned out to be crippled, badly dressed, old, attractive, ugly or smelly.

That is racism. What if I advertised first day of interviews for whites only? Anytime you give preferential treatment to blacks, is that not racism?

What has happened to the best and brightest get the prize regardless of color. Some have stated the downfall of some minorities was liberalization. Once food stamps and welfare came about, some minorities started relying on the government too much and stopped being self reliant.

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Now posters have taken this thread well off track. Why can`t you keep to the subject at hand. This is about the racist and bigoted attitudes of expats living in Thailand. Or do some find staying on track too technical?

FB_IMG_1498402316002.jpg

I think many get confused with the word racism.

Definition is , quote: .......prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Alot of people accused of racism are invariably just practicing tribalism.

Definition is: quote Cambridge dictionary: the state of existing as a tribe, or a very strong feeling of loyalty to your tribe

Definition Wiki: Tribalism implies the possession of a strong cultural or ethnic identity that separates one member of a group from the members of another group. Based on strong relations of proximity and kinship, members of a tribe tend to possess a strong feeling of identity.

Someone who prefers being in the company of or being in close proximity to his tribes people or who would prefer to employ a fellow member of his tribe over another, by today's standards is racist. It isn't disciminatory, prejudiced, antagonistic or believe you are superior, it's just that you prefer to be around your own.

That's why people from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds don't integrate in the UK, as they prefer to be with their own.

9 hours ago, iReason said:

Given the fact that you "haven't a clue", am I to understand that you just made this up?

"I am from America and because I was born white, I am now considered a racist by many on the left in my country."

Like this further example of hyperbolic, baseless gibberish:
"You would have to ask them why they consider all whites racist"

You throw nonsense out there and ask me to substantiate it?
That's rich.

It was a rhetorical flourish to depict the attitudes of many on the left in the USA. Things such as baseless accusations of "white privilege" (with no evidence), trigger warnings, and accusations of micro-aggressions are what the word "racism" have sadly become in many/most instances in my home country. So unless you are a neo-Nazi, adherent of white supremacy, or a member of the KKK being called a racist is mostly a baseless and meaningless accusation designed to silence and bully. That being said there are lessor forms of racism than these extreme examples and than is why examples of the kinds of statements the OP attributed to expats in Thailand would be useful in this thread. 

2 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

That is racism. What if I advertised first day of interviews for whites only? Anytime you give preferential treatment to blacks, is that not racism?

What has happened to the best and brightest get the prize regardless of color. Some have stated the downfall of some minorities was liberalization. Once food stamps and welfare came about, some minorities started relying on the government too much and stopped being self reliant.

Ok helmsman but just to confirm. If the black lady was the brightest of the two examples you provided. You would hire her?

12 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

This has GOT to be the mother of all troll threads/topics.

I agree it brings out all sorts but look who started it!  and some of the contributors who are so 'affronted'.  Pots and Kettles come to mind

Edited by binjalin

On 7/26/2017 at 9:15 PM, rijb said:

These racists and bigots are living in a foreign country, with very little influence.  How much of a threat can they be?

Here we are basically ignored or blamed as scapegoats for everything that is wrong. We (farangs) have almost no influence on Thailand and I'm OK with that. The same cannot be said of Europe however where everyone is so PC kowtowing to immigrants giving them more rights and often benefits that those who have hundreds of years of family history in their country.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Yes - unnamed vague multiple sources....

Bigotry....

Racism.....

Nazism & Nazi rhetoric.....

No examples or substantiation - even when asked for..... Repeatedly.....

Haughty, blubbering, deflection, consternation, and condemnation at it's finest hour....

The writer is stunned/mortified and suffering - in great mental anguish....

Must be a slow day at the CNN newsroom & they decided to troll the expats on TVF looking for inspiration for click bait...

Ticks all the boxes....

Edited by pgrahmm

7 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Correct. Some posters want me to give examples so they can diverse and then start delving into the politics of any groups I mention

My sentiments exactly. They want me to give examples which will give them certain peoples to debate about, but I won`t give them that pleasure. Racists and bigots will always reveal themselves only on this thread they are hoping someone will open the door for them to come out and provide a stage to express their views. Well, that ain`t going to be me. Let other posters start the ball rolling by choosing specific groups and show their true colours. Otherwise this is about general racism shared by a large section of expats in Thailand and if some prefer to separate this into categories, then please go ahead, the floor is open for you.

You want to discuss racism and bigotry but are afraid to define it.  See - "I can't tell you what it is but I know it when I see it."  Hence you are the only arbiter of what is right and wrong and what is on and off topic.  Seems a bit "god like" to me. 

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

It was a rhetorical flourish to depict the attitudes of many on the left in the USA.

"It was a rhetorical flourish", you say? :laugh:

It was melodramatic, inflammatory balderdash.

Something that the weak minded here, will rally around.

And you simply just made it up.

Based on nothing.

:coffee1:

4 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Actually it started out reasonably well but it has gone so far away from the original topic a GPS is needed to help it find the way back.

16 hours ago, ben2talk said:

First reactions to everyone we see are based on a cursory visual input and all the associated emotions and thoughts that go with it.

More so on TV forum where it's ALL about what you read and if there's emoticons or emoji's or what not to give one a clue if it's wry wit, sarcasm, pithiness, double entendre, subtle nuance and just about everything else that gets confused with flaming and trolling.

But once you have the number of the powderpuff that reported you, things get so much better.

16 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Sadly, yet predictably, this thread has disintegrated into the very hallmark of bigotry.....

Name calling.....

I'm surprised it has survived without getting shut down long ago....

Well that's probably because I refrained from posting another of my rather witty, 3-line ripostes to a fellow members rather absurd claims about being sublimely at one with the locals... thousands of them from all over the realm apparently.

16 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

And to that I say bull####. And, that way of thinking is dangerous and IS holding back the Blacks in the USA. Life isn't fair, get over it.

As in my example - Am I racist.

So in your example, the size of their breasts didn't factor in your decision in any way?

15 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

I admit to being sexist when i employed staff for my buisness in UK. Male on the shop floor and always female front of house and reception.

That and the fact that unless they're an EPL star, blokes normally just don't look right in pantyhose.

I am referring to Expats, not Thai people, that is another subject.

How can it be another subject when Thais are just as racist as expats? It's not as though they are innocent of it while expats are OTT.

Most people in the world are racist to some extent- it's in the genes, but then again, most don't dwell on it unless the subject comes up.

8 hours ago, Ahab said:

It was a rhetorical flourish to depict the attitudes of many on the left in the USA. Things such as baseless accusations of "white privilege" (with no evidence), trigger warnings, and accusations of micro-aggressions are what the word "racism" have sadly become in many/most instances in my home country. So unless you are a neo-Nazi, adherent of white supremacy, or a member of the KKK being called a racist is mostly a baseless and meaningless accusation designed to silence and bully. That being said there are lessor forms of racism than these extreme examples and than is why examples of the kinds of statements the OP attributed to expats in Thailand would be useful in this thread. 

I have actually read some saying that only "white" people are racist :cheesy:.

21 hours ago, jenifer d said:

actually, since i am quite famous as a musician on our island and elsewhere, in towns and cities from Betong (Yala) to Chiang Khan (Loei), i am known by literally thousands of Thais from ALL socioeconomic classes and walks of life- TV stars, governors, police chiefs, entrepreneurs, businesspeople, diplomats, laborers, - and THEY are the ones who have told me this (not vice versa) i know these thousands of Thais as well, and although they ALL know my name, i am terrible at names (it is a running joke among most Thais who know me, "dok mai can never remember anybody's names because she knows too many people") 

EVERY Thai person i know, without exception, is fiercely proud of the fact that Thailand has never been colonized, and in the same vein they deeply resent foreigners who come here and show off their money and/or settle here without learning the language or understanding the culture whatsoever...

there are several pejorative terms that are used, i know all of them, 99% of the time those epithets are used in farang's presence and the foreigner is none the wiser...

that is not to say we are not welcome here, we ARE- if we actually come here with an open mind and willingness to learn the who what when where and whys of Thai and Thainess, then we are embraced;

ask the several TVF members who live happily w/family in small villages (although our island is an increasingly popular tourist destination, we still have a resolutely small village feel, especially in my community where i live- despite the tourists since most residents were born here, unlike Phuket, Samui, etc, where several migrate to for work)

Just wondering when the Vatican will be processing your canonization application. You sound a bit too good to be true.

6 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes - unnamed vague multiple sources....

Bigotry....

Racism.....

Nazism & Nazi rhetoric.....

No examples or substantiation - even when asked for..... Repeatedly.....

Haughty, blubbering, deflection, consternation, and condemnation at it's finest hour....

The writer is stunned/mortified and suffering - in great mental anguish....

Must be a slow day at the CNN newsroom & they decided to troll the expats on TVF looking for inspiration for click bait...

Ticks all the boxes....

I thought the OP gave a good explanation for not giving more specific examples. To me it appears to be the word 'extreme' which is questionable. There can be no doubt that there are those with seriously bigoted views (just look at the thread on the CM forum about 'Lady Bar drinks etiquette) but are those views extreme?

I think the OP was also suggesting that sometimes people he meets who come across as affable turn out to have 'extreme?' views and i have witnessed this. Free speech is good but on balance i would certainly challenge those people (but probably pointless) and then disassociate.

23 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There are a lot of people who do not know the difference between conservatives and liberals; racists and neo nazis as well as those prejudiced and simply stereotyping.

I have never met a Nazi sympathizer who would endorse what happened during their reign. I have met people who do not  like certain races; certain cultures; certain religions; certain skin colors ; certain nationalities. Are they racist or bigoted?  Possibly. Will they act directly towards anyone. Most likely never. Most people who are bigoted or even racist don't know anything about the person they direct their rancour to or have even met anyone like that person. They are just ignorant.  The solution is simple- if one doesn't like the message do not associate with the person. However, as long as they  do not act out against anyone- they are entitled to an opinion.

I don't see Brexit or the election of Trump as examples of racists supporting either of these. There are certainly some who are but not the majority. There is a much deeper undercurrent in both the UK and the US and it has to do with income inequality which  effects all colors of people.  The politicians like to use race; stereotypes and any other kind of negative to gain votes and power and never helping any of the masses. One day the populations will wake up and instead of  being separated by prejudices- they will join together and get rid of  people who would divide rather than unite.

You're right but a mate of mine is a black Briton with a very pragmatic view

His view is "I don't care if people are racist, there's nothing I can do about so just let them get on with it as long as they don't get in my way or affect my life, go right ahead.

If that changes, watch out"

I think this is the best any race can hope for in this world.

"It was a rhetorical flourish", you say? :laugh:

It was melodramatic, inflammatory balderdash.
Something that the weak minded here, will rally around.

And you simply just made it up.
Based on nothing.
:coffee1:

Sure, whatever you say. Heaven forbid someone else has an opinion that differs from your own and wanted to share as it related to the original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app