Former Thai PM Yingluck seeks "fan support" amid asset freeze

webfact

bad for junta; they will come out of all outcomes looking bad; really hard to say/believe this was some master plan by the reds but this could have positive results for them; both the martyr part and how (badly) the junta manages it and then spouts ridiculous spin; any violence/deaths would be a disaster for the current rulers

Violence will certainly be bad for the junta unless its crystal clear the reds started it. I think the junta can handle this just stop them before BKK because unless its mass organised i dont see many coming with their own car one by one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Violence will certainly be bad for the junta unless its crystal clear the reds started it. I think the junta can handle this just stop them before BKK because unless its mass organised i dont see many coming with their own car one by one.

You know what would have been good for the Junta. Waiting a couple of weeks. There was a small coal burning but now they have brought out the lighter fluid.

You know what would have been good for the Junta. Waiting a couple of weeks. There was a small coal burning but now they have brought out the lighter fluid.

Probably still if they had not acted and YL had moved her money they would have looked like fools. But the junta is bad at PR they shoot themselves in the foot on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Probably still if they had not acted and YL had moved her money they would have looked like fools. But the junta is bad at PR they shoot themselves in the foot on a regular basis.

You think she wasn't aware that they were moving to seize her assets for the last year already. She already moved what she needed to move. I say the Junta played right into their hands.

You think she wasn't aware that they were moving to seize her assets for the last year already. She already moved what she needed to move. I say the Junta played right into their hands.

Not sure i mean if they can prove with record she dis so she would lose face. I know that if i were her id make sure my money was gone. I see this as a power play between sharks i don't pity either side a mutual self destruction would be nice.

17 hours ago, LazarusRizing said:

Forgive me for asking, but I am curious as to why your emotions are so strong against Yingluck. I can understand why one would have views one way or the other regarding the yellows and reds of Thailand but I don't really understand the strength of your hatred. I myself probably lean towards position that the reds have been a bit hard done by and I would like to see democracy in Thailand (in the whole world really). What makes me very curious about the whole situation is that there does seem to be a level of acceptance by Thai people of events that have occurred. I think reds would win an election but I also get the feeling that if there aren't elections any time soon then perhaps not that many Thais would car too much. I don't know. Anyway I am curious why you have such strong views particularly when I would assume not much Yingluck did affected you personally.

I would say the same about those that critisize the Junta. Why do they do so, when they are not affected. In fact most expats I know prefer the Junta.  They claim they do not have to deal with violent protests or airport closures! Tourists feel much safer too, judging from the huge numbers now coming to tthailand

Edited by gamini

19 hours ago, LazarusRizing said:

Forgive me for asking, but I am curious as to why your emotions are so strong against Yingluck. I can understand why one would have views one way or the other regarding the yellows and reds of Thailand but I don't really understand the strength of your hatred. I myself probably lean towards position that the reds have been a bit hard done by and I would like to see democracy in Thailand (in the whole world really). What makes me very curious about the whole situation is that there does seem to be a level of acceptance by Thai people of events that have occurred. I think reds would win an election but I also get the feeling that if there aren't elections any time soon then perhaps not that many Thais would car too much. I don't know. Anyway I am curious why you have such strong views particularly when I would assume not much Yingluck did affected you personally.

Wow....where exactly did he state that he hates her......talk about PR bullshit coming from your corner.

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

Why didn't they freeze assets when proceedings began? 

Not sure IMHO they should have, but maybe they see the risk high now (or just incompetence) . Anyway her assets don't even cover the claim and i doubt they have all her assets im sure she has hidden a few just like her brother did.

Some strange comments here don't you people know that her Brother was one of the richest men in the world .just for the record I lost over 600 million baht due to the coup directly not Thaksin thought purely the coup leaders how many more companies have the current dictators ruined with no recourse.500 local jobs lost on surin beach alone due to clearing the beach now the place is dead oh sorry the massive increase in tourists that are invisible.

4 minutes ago, Remus1830 said:

Some strange comments here don't you people know that her Brother was one of the richest men in the world .just for the record I lost over 600 million baht due to the coup directly not Thaksin thought purely the coup leaders how many more companies have the current dictators ruined with no recourse.500 local jobs lost on surin beach alone due to clearing the beach now the place is dead oh sorry the massive increase in tourists that are invisible.

There is a reason why amphetamines should only be taken under prescription...:biggrin:

22 hours ago, starky said:

Well its pretty subjective isnt it. Unless your privy to details none of us know its hard to tell who is telling the truth. Having said that we always know where your loyalties lie, junta never lies. Right?

Especially since Prayut just stated it was ok to seize her assets prior to conviction. 

Should he not have said "prior to the verdict"?

On 7/27/2017 at 2:31 PM, robblok said:

So its just a freeze. not money taken out of the accounts... that is different from taking the money. This is purely a precaution. If she had bolted with the money everyone would have called the army fools. Its quite normal that accounts are frozen until a judgement is made. This happens in other parts of the world too. 

But Yingluck said the money "had been withdrawn" out of the accounts.

And she wouldn't lie. especially a lie to try and inflame things, would she..........................................................?

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

But Yingluck said the money "had been withdrawn" out of the accounts.

And she wouldn't lie. especially a lie to try and inflame things, would she..........................................................?

The bank that took the money made a statement

Just now, AGareth2 said:

I believe the bank that informed her by letter held 6 accounts

You believe based on what?

Did Yingluck not check, did the other banks also withdraw or not? Why would a bank freeze an account and then withdraw the money? What would it do with the cash? Or transfer? 

Or is it poor misquoted reporting? Or someone making up their own version for political gain?

You believe based on what?

Did Yingluck not check, did the other banks also withdraw or not? Why would a bank freeze an account and then withdraw the money? What would it do with the cash? Or transfer? 

Or is it poor misquoted reporting? Or someone making up their own version for political gain?

the banks statement as reported

as well as a statement by the pm

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Typical from military men though.

Absolutely no political skill or tact whatsoever. 

I was directly affected by the airport closure, and that was the Yellow shirts, hoping to overthrow the then elected government.

If you recall the Army refused to step in and evict the protesters, costing the country billions in lost revenue as well as incalculable damage to reputation.

It is a shame that this 'safety' you speak of does not seem to have affected British, Australian or Swedish tourists, where Thailand is ranked the most dangerous tourist destination, nor the conflict raging in the South, where well over 6000 people have died and the death toll has markedly risen since the coup in 2006. 

And how have the actual numbers of visitors from Britain, Australia and Sweden been affected?

Please provide the links to the raked reports for each country you refer to; including the rationale for the rankings.

And how have the actual numbers of visitors from Britain, Australia and Sweden been affected?

Please provide the links to the raked reports for each country you refer to; including the rationale for the rankings.

google is your friend

don't be lazy

Just now, AGareth2 said:

the question as to where the money has gone

well

this is Thailand

We are reliant on reports of he said she said when we know the usual quality of such reports.

It seems some assets have been seized, first mention was of bank accounts now properties. 

As to the accuracy of any more info, well, as you say, this is Thailand!

22 hours ago, debate101 said:

Regardless of your personal opinion of her leadership qualities or regarding the poorly-planned rice subsidies and subsequent financial losses, it's difficult to deny that she's being targeted because she's popular and because her supporters oppose dictatorship and military interference in government.

Disagree. I think she's being targeted because of who her brother is; the fact she allowed herself to be his puppet/pawn; and continues to be a point he focuses his efforts.

I think her brother had/has every intention of trying to weasel into a dictator role, like his eternal buddy next door, but has never been able to secure a tight enough grip on the military to wrest them away from the more established powerful families.

She's been given ample opportunity to run, as is often the solution here, but chooses not to or is told she can't. 

It's a big game, with very high stakes. But the billionairess is unlikely to suffer more than a tremendous loss of face - which here is very bad whereas in the West it's water off a duck's back to most politicians and wealthy elites.

If her crime was paying very poor rice farmers double the going rate . Look at whats come from the coup. You have the military squashing all freedomes and spending all the money on military hardware. They answer to no one.

You got to show me who is the devil here.

I would say the same about those that critisize the Junta. Why do they do so, when they are not affected. In fact most expats I know prefer the Junta.  They claim they do not have to deal with violent protests or airport closures! Tourists feel much safer too, judging from the huge numbers now coming to tthailand

"Most expats I know" and "huge numbers of tourists" are not generally considered a major factor in deciding who governs a country. The will of the electorate is a more common deciding factor...