New house breaker questions

Andrew Dwyer

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Crossy and Wayne:
Didn't get chance to buy those bits ( 10mm2 wire, RCD breaker and multimeter) today as had to go back to the apartment to sign off and the rain didn't help either !!

Will hopefully tomorrow get the multimeter ( Homepro should have one ?) and with a lot of guidance from yourselves I will investigate the earth issue.

HomePro should have cheap digital meters and ABB branded RCDs, they look like this, note the "Test" button. Make sure you get one rated at 63A (50A at a push).

pl4486220-abb_f202ac_63_0_03_circuit_bre

13 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yeah sorry if I made it confusing, I did say at the start I have no electrical background and only started this thread because I hear of the horror stories and wanted to run some things by the more electrical minded folks of TV.
I will be relying on local sparky for any electrical work and as I'm new to the area will have to ask around the neighbourhood.

Each AC and the water pump has a dedicated breaker next to each unit, the water pump is wired into the outlet circuit, the feed for the AC's comes from up above so not sure if it's lighting or outlet.

Didn't see this last paragraph before - Looks like your Air Cons are hard wired into roof cabling hence the CU beside them just like the Water Pump (the Air Con guys do it all the time ) 

I only had one down stairs that had the cable already there but most probably twisted amongst other things in the roof & the 2 up stairs are just twisted into the roof cabling with no external CU (as it would be running back to one in the mains box )

Am gonna get round to these electrical issues........honest !!
Have got the new house blues right now, house is full of boxes, am constantly moving stuff around to make room, the garden has taken over the land, the rubbish has not been collected ( and it's a lot !! ) and my gf's collection of shoes and bags is getting on my nerves [emoji35]( how many bags does a person need ?? )
Bear with me.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Am gonna get round to these electrical issues........honest !!

Worry not, moving house is the single most stressful thing in ones life, I don't intend doing it again.

The electrics are not dangerous per-sé just need improvement.

Am gonna need a sparky to fit another couple of outlets so I'll shop around to find someone recommended locally and get him to fit the RCD ( 2800 baht !!, I know I know you can't put a price on safety ), change the underrated black cables.

I'll also get him to try and explain the grounding situation to me and if any doubts " I'll be back ".

In the meantime, thanks for all the help.

2 hours ago, wayned said:

Wow, 2800 baht!

Hmmm, does seem a little over the top, but I don't recall what we paid for our ABB units, they're about 30 quid plus VAT in the UK.

I worry about the small output terminals on those Tomzn units, how big a cable will they accept? (minimum 10mm2 for 63A breaker)

I have one in the shop.  I just went out and tried 10mm2 VCT and it fits fine.  I imagine that 12mm2 would also fit, but anything over that would be a problem.