Any flooding in Chiang Mai?

Asiantravel

I am not in Chiang Mai at the momentI and no one has made any comments in the long-running " Rain " thread  so has the rain not been as bad in the north-west?

After seeing these photos regarding how hard hit Sakhon Nakhon city has been hit I just wondered if Chiang Mai has escaped the effects so far?

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

no rain here as of yet

that's rather amazing because the sky news channel weather map has shown a dark blue area in the North West for many days now and together with the 10 day weather forecast which is shown thunderstorms every day I just assumed it was pouring down there

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/THXX0003:1:TH

1 hour ago, jobin said:

The river (mae ping) seems high.  And very brown.  But i have seen no flooding nearby CM city.

Mae Rim copped a lot a few days back that's run off I would suggest.In Hang Dong just the occasional 30 min thunderstorm with sporadic showers

In the east Kalasin is getting the worst flooding for 40 years and they are no alone. Photos on major Bangkok media ,horrendous.Nothing from government for this yearly problem.Submarines and fast train orders seem a priority

Weather reports and comments can be so conflicting. I have several friends in CM and Hang Dong who I communicate with daily. They tell me of rain falling on a daily basis, T storms too. They can not do their work in the rain.  Yet some of the above posts indicate otherwise. Hmm. 

21 minutes ago, neeray said:

Weather reports and comments can be so conflicting. I have several friends in CM and Hang Dong who I communicate with daily. They tell me of rain falling on a daily basis, T storms too. They can not do their work in the rain.  Yet some of the above posts indicate otherwise. Hmm. 

The very odd night has seen heavy rain .That's all.

Sansai/Doi Saket area - almost daily rain for ages, often very heavy, plus regular thunderstorms. Been here for 11 years, not seen anything like this before. Carefully planned and tended garden now a total washout, plants and trees doing very strange things, huge weeds everywhere, not worth redoing it, I suspect. Can't use chemicals on the weeds as I have dogs, but sprayed-on vinegar helps a bit. It's like the UK's summers, just warmer - very depressing.

18 hours ago, neeray said:

Rain can be falling on one part of C M and not on another. I can only say none in the Loi Khroh area for days, though I was expecting some last night ( unless it happened after midnight it didn't ).

3 hours ago, buddhalady said:

Sansai/Doi Saket area - almost daily rain for ages, often very heavy, plus regular thunderstorms. Been here for 11 years, not seen anything like this before. Carefully planned and tended garden now a total washout, plants and trees doing very strange things, huge weeds everywhere, not worth redoing it, I suspect. Can't use chemicals on the weeds as I have dogs, but sprayed-on vinegar helps a bit. It's like the UK's summers, just warmer - very depressing.

Sounds like you need to invest in a raised garden. Easier on the back too.

I've never seen weeds grow so fast as they do in Thailand- amazing!

When I visited the ex's village, she took me to a cousin who's house had been flooded half way up the walls. Not unusual there, so the ground level of the house is made of concrete. Ex's house was on 8 foot high poles.

3 hours ago, buddhalady said:

I live in Nongchom ,Sansai ,and had nothing like you describe .Yes there has been some heavy rain but mostly short lived and with the bonus that i don't need to water my garden ,but no flooding .After the rain the temperature goes down and the air feels much fresher .

Edited by anto

14 hours ago, buddhalady said:

Incredible the different experiences people have. I'm in the same area and to me, this season has been rather mild. It has been much heavier in previous years. Last year our garden was wiped out. This year it's doing O.K. I've only pulled out the umbrella once this season.

In our little patch in Wangtan Village,Hang Dong  I was watering the garden last night.Put if off from the night before thinking it would rain.

Not a drop and what we have been getting lately would average about 30 mins a time at most.

After 10 years here the pattern is set, some parts remain drier while others cop the full brunt .

Just imagine the state CM would be in if the city got what has been falling in places due east.

Kalasin for example worst flooding in 40 years.

Hopefully someone will provide some photos of the dams around this area, they were excellent indicators last year

1 hour ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Does seem extra hot this morning...first time I have run ac in the morning since May.  I wonder if if is the setup for an intense storm.  Otherwise, the weather has completely missed the boat.

You must be in a hot spot .Cool enough where i am .

41 minutes ago, anto said:

You must be in a hot spot .Cool enough where i am .

Forecast temp for today and tomorrow on Accuweather is 34 degrees.Would suggest, if it eventuates, thats at least 2 degrees above what we usually get at this time of the year.Bangkok 35 ,Kanchanaburi 36,Weather satellite is pretty clear of cloud around CM but we all know how things can change in a short time.

Not anywhere near us but Tawain is getting smashed by 2 huge storm cells

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rain can be falling on one part of C M and not on another.

Yes, but not when you truly have a tropical depression coming through.  Then it rains all day, everywhere.

They were expecting a tropical depression to come through, but in the end it was relatively typical rainy season weather: mostly sunny, some clouds and an afternoon or evening shower on some days.

On 29/07/2017 at 1:25 PM, Sparkles said:

Mae Rim copped a lot a few days back that's run off I would suggest.In Hang Dong just the occasional 30 min thunderstorm with sporadic showers

In the east Kalasin is getting the worst flooding for 40 years and they are no alone. Photos on major Bangkok media ,horrendous.Nothing from government for this yearly problem.Submarines and fast train orders seem a priority

Its what they bought the Submarines for, to drive through the floods. Nothing to do with the nations defence.

It seems like we're getting rain every day, but never for very long.  We live in the Huey Kaew/Kad Suan Kaew area, in a condo, so our biggest concern is the windows can leak if the rain is heavy with driving wind from certain directions.  Limited problems with that this year.  I don't know how some people can go off and leave their condo units unoccupied for months at a time.  Everyone I know in this building has window leak problems from time-to-time.  You really should clean it up immediately or the walls and floors become stained.  

• 2 weeks later...