a/c versus fans

opalred

For those who feel congested in the morning after going to bed with the a/c in the room, what I do when it gets really hot, I put on the a/c in the hall and it does moderately bring in some cool in the bedroom....

I never use the a/c directly in the room when I sleep...at most turn it on a few hours before bedtime then switch it off...

When using the skytrain or a travelling by air, always do carry a  coton jacket and a light cloth around my neck...helps a lot to avoid those sore throats, sneezing and congestions...

Keep cool!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the humidity is high enough a fan really can't do anything, can it? You're trying to get sweat to evaporate and cool you (E=ML, as Mary Webster's Essentials of Higher Physics told me, when failure forced me to pick it up). 

I find that when a fan does work I need to drink a pint of water at 4 AM precisely because a pint of sweat has evaporated off my carcass. 

On 7/31/2017 at 2:25 AM, electric said:

Interesting snippet of useless information. Our bedroom A/C drain pipe goes into a bucket outside. 7 litres of water nearly every night. Doesn't vary much no matter what time of year.

I have no idea whether 7 litres of humidity is good or bad. I just know that we sleep like babies every night with the A/C on. 25 degrees on the thermostat.

Seven litres!!! So 7,000 liters of water vapour, or thereabouts? 

Having lived in hot (dry and humid) climates most of my life, I can handle a fair amount of heat.  BUT, I need air moving... either me moving, i.e. bike riding or a fan or wind blowing.
When riding in a car or on a bus, I almost always turn off vents or direct them away from me, if I can.  

When sleeping, I most often do not cover myself unless cold outside.  The exception is when I go to hotel, I sometimes blast the AC, only because a lot of places do not have a fan.

If at home, the key is a cold shower just before bed.  Bring down my core temp, and cool off with a fan.  IF I am sweating in spite of this, then I'll run the air for an hour or two.  
My place also faces north, no east or west windows and have trees to the north.  

Except for April/May (then usually I bail from the smoke) I almost never run the AC.  My highest electric bill was under 500 baht last summer.  

11 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Seven litres!!! So 7,000 liters of water vapour, or thereabouts? 

hi Craig ... not sure about your conversion to 7000 litres of water vapour ? How did you get that figure ?

For sure though, every night the bedroom A/C drips 7 litres of water into our outside bucket via the A/C drip pipe. A/C usually runs for about 8hrs each night.

During daytime Songkran, the big living room A/C (20,000btu) drips 10 litres in 4 hours.

On 7/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, The Deerhunter said:
On 7/30/2017 at 6:38 AM, Dmaxdan said:

We don't have AC in our bedroom. We just open the window, close the bug screens and use the ceiling fan. With the exception of about a 6 week period around April/May we are never uncomfortable and on many occasions I actually turn the fan off in the small hours because it is too cold. 

You must be up north and/or reasonably high up. 

I'm the same as Dmaxdan and am only 'up north' if you live south of Bangsaray, but I am reasonably high up........... on the 10th floor of my condo.

many years ago  mining in outback oz/ with no elect

temp 40plus day and night for 3weeks 

you soak sheets and towels in water 

lay on bed and cover your self with wet towels 

you will get sleep for 1hr then repeat 

cheap way for the  people here with short pockets 

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I'm the same as Dmaxdan and am only 'up north' if you live south of Bangsaray, but I am reasonably high up........... on the 10th floor of my condo.

Yes

cool night breezes probably in a coastal area.  Here in the countryside 40km from the coast, opening the windows at night only 5 metres up doesn't do much unless it has rained heavily to cool the ground off.

3 hours ago, electric said:

hi Craig ... not sure about your conversion to 7000 litres of water vapour ? How did you get that figure ?

For sure though, every night the bedroom A/C drips 7 litres of water into our outside bucket via the A/C drip pipe. A/C usually runs for about 8hrs each night.

During daytime Songkran, the big living room A/C (20,000btu) drips 10 litres in 4 hours.

I just used a thousand as a rough figure - it's about that for most things. 

Turns out for water it's a lot higher, so actually maybe 20,000 liters of water vapour. Mind you, a decent sized bedroom full of air at absolute saturation point will have thousands of liters of vapour, so a couple of changes over the course of the night and you could easily produce a couple of gallons of water. 

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=49714.0

Edited by Craig krup
Omission

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My area is needing AC at night, it is 27 degC now, early morning. Perhaps you mean cool season which isn't this time of year!

I would use my ceiling fan only if it was cool enough..... no sense whatsoever even running an AC if you do not need it!

"27c with a sheet or thin blanket suits me, but the missus wants 22c under a huge duvet..."

We have lost the post numbering in the revamp it seems at the moment, but the above I posted earlier.

27 is cool here, and I know it is colder in the cool season itself, but it depends where you live as to how cool it gets.

Problem is you can't keep the windows open without screens and stop the mosquitoes getting in.

Lopburi has a point about mildew, but I've never had a problem here with that.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

4 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Yes

cool night breezes probably in a coastal area.  Here in the countryside 40km from the coast, opening the windows at night only 5 metres up doesn't do much unless it has rained heavily to cool the ground off.

On the contrary. The temperature in coastal areas is often much higher than it is inland. And the humidity is almost invariably higher on the coast.

I live a few metres from Jomtien beach.

On 30 July 2017 at 8:26 AM, lopburi3 said:

Indeed that was a prime advantage of fans in the past - but for most homes today a black hole type trap along with window netting is quite effective at removing that threat.  

What is a black hole type trap?

Items that use black light to attract insects and a fan to blow them into a trap area they can not escape from.  They work very well in my experience but lamps are very erratic as to life expectancy.  You normally keep them on full time as it is the fan that prevents escape.

image.png.7ee69e93bca46492facf5da2fbee12d8.png

Edited by lopburi3