Border Entry

Hi All,

I have had a 30 day extension on my arrival visa and a weeks extension at immigration... totalling 67 days. Can I do a border crossing to get another 30 days or do I have to fly out. Any advice welcomed. Thanks.

It sounds as if you received a 30-day visa-exempt entry upon arrival - extended by 30 + 7 days.  You can obtain a new visa-exempt by leaving and re-entering the country by land or air.  Whether you will be welcomed back on another visa-exempt depends on your history of stays in Thailand.  If your current-stay is the extent of your time here, another by air should not be a problem, provided you enter with an outgoing air-ticket, hotel-reservation, and 20K Baht in cash or travelers checks (the rule is 10K for visa-exempt, but 20K is a better idea). 

If you have a history of longer stays in Thailand, coming back in at land-borders (other than Poipet/Aranyaprathet) is currently the safest way to obtain another 30-day Visa Exempt.  You can get 2 Visa-Exempts by crossing land-borders per-year.   At the airport, there is no set-limit, but you could be denied-entry by Immigration, depending on how long you have spent in Thailand in the past year or two, and other factors.

A better strategy, especially if you intend to stay in Thailand longer, is to obtain a Tourist Visa at a Thai consulate in a neighboring country.  This will provide a 60-day stay, with the option for an additional 30-day extension at immigration.  The easiest application is Vientiane, Laos, but you could also use Penang, Malaysia, HCMC Vietnam, Savanakhet, Laos, and other locales.   At Vientiane, you just need 1000 Baht and your passport.  At the others, you many need to show a ticket leaving Thailand at the end of your proposed stay, and/or hotel-bookings, and/or proof of 20K Baht worth of funds in a bank-account (some want $1000 USD worth of funds in the bank).

If you provide more specifics as to your previous Thailand travel history, and future plans, we can provide more specific recommendations. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mutyim said:

Can I do a border crossing to get another 30 days or do I have to fly out.

Yes as long as it's only your first or second land crossing entry since Jan 1st. If you've already done two land entries you'll need to fly back in.

If you are planning to remain in Thailand for an extended period on tourist entries (with visa or visa exempt) now is the time to do some careful planning. Your visa exempt entries should be reserved for situations where going for a tourist visa did not work out for some reason. You should be planning to use tourist visas from varying locations (and probably trying to enter by land once you have spent more than about six months in Thailand).

If you believe you will leave Thailand, not planning to return for a long time, after another 30 days or so, by all means use a land crossing for a 30-day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Some very informative answers. Thanks. My partner and child hold Filipino passports. We stay off and on for a few months at a time, but this time only need a short extension of stay as leaving. Any rules affecting Filipinos at border? We always return after a couple of months and have had no issues yet in 5 years.

8 hours ago, mutyim said:

Some very informative answers. Thanks. My partner and child hold Filipino passports. We stay off and on for a few months at a time, but this time only need a short extension of stay as leaving. Any rules affecting Filipinos at border? We always return after a couple of months and have had no issues yet in 5 years.

Filipinos, generally, would have greater reason to work illegally in Thailand due to the wage-differential.  Staying out 2 mo helps to counter that perception.  But we do not know to what extent Thai-Immigration factors this into their actions.  Given the fact that they have rejected-entry to people without a wage-incentive, and most illegal-workers come from countries with bilateral-agreements making it easier for them to enter, this may not be a priority at all.  Business loves cheap-labor.  Rejecting those with longer-stay histories who cannot qualify for long-stay visas/extensions (under 50 / not married / not working) would seem to be the dominant factor we are seeing now at airports - but this is arbitrary, and perhaps based on a quota, detention-space, and/or other unknown factors.

If you plan to get an exempt-entry to extend your current stay, and considering you have a history of staying in Thailand in the past (not sure how long those visits were), I would use a friendly land-border for this.  In a worst-case (unlikely) scenario where your entry was rejected, you could turn around and get a Tourist Visa, then come back with that.  You did not say what part of Thailand you are in now, but the Nong Khai / Vientiane border would be ideal for this.  As said above, do have the cash, proof of where you will be living, and proof of your planned flight out of Thailand.

If planning to come for 60-days+ on future-visits, I would suggest coming with Tourist Visas, because rejection of entry is less-likely - provided you have the cash and proof of where you will stay. 

Edited by JackThompson

4 minutes ago, mutyim said:

Can they cross at kanchanaburi?

Not unless they have a valid Thai visa for re-entry to the country. Without a visa they will not allow a crossing unless the a have a visa for Myanmar.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mutyim said:

Is "Kawthaung" the nearest border to Hau Hin for re-entry?

The is the Ranong crossing I mentioned earlier. It is nearest crossing that can done if you do not have a valid Thai visa for re-entry.

• Thanks 1