Trading, exchanging, or buy/sell books - but not though bookstores

connda

Did some spring cleaning this weekend and came up with two bags full of books that are just taking up room in the house.  Approached some of the second-hand bookstores in town but got a very blunt reception regarding selling or trading them.  No interest!  Soooo.  Has anyone set up a website or forum here in Chiang Mai where people are trading or selling their used books?  

Strange....I've used a few of the places in town but never come across this.

Maybe they have too much stock and ain't taking on any more, or perhaps they would rather just give you a store credit?

Times...they are a tough.

My sympathies to Connda, I know exacly where he's coming from.

I too didn't have a recent happy experience in the well-known 2nd hand book shops around the ThapaeGate area. I had a number of books (20) in excellent condition, all novels and recent titles and decided to try and swap them for some other 2nd hand books, figuring I could get a 2 for 1 deal (2 of mine for 1 of theirs).  In the first shop, the vacant, disiniterested woman took a look at my books and offered 500 baht for all of them and wasn't interested in a "swap deal". The second book shop said they weren't buying books but that she would do me a favour and keep them if I wanted to leave them with her! The third book shop didn't want to pay cash but offered me a 4 for 1 deal, which I declined. I did notice that in all of the bookshops, the books in good condition were priced on average from 350 / 450 baht (and more) and those in poor condition from 100 / 150 baht. OK, I know they're in business to make a profit but a more surly, miserable bunch of chisellers is (in my opinion) difficult to find.

NB: There is a 2nd hand book warehouse near to Central Festival, stacked to the roof with books. I don't think they're buying, but the prices for books in good condition is very reasonable.

Regards,

Joe

I am a regular at the books shops namely On the Road Books,Backstreet Books and Lost Book shop,While most of my trading is taking their books back and receiving 50% back of the purchase priceI I do occasionally take my own books in exchange for cash. I get through about 4 novels a week

If books are dog eared or are authors that are not well supported or respected you probably wont get any offers apart from the bargain box price.

Take into account that we are in the depths of the low season so obviously there are less English speaking tourists in town.Chinese rarely buy books in English

As for price on the shelves I have never over 10 years paid more than 240 baht for a novel not sure how they would be priced at 350/400 baht Shoeless Joe.

I am reading the excellent Peter May series at the moment, award winning Scottish author murder mysteries.I have 4 of his novels, 1 brand new at 200 baht the other 3 at 180 baht each purchased from On the Road,  opp the UN pub.I will return for exchange in the next week or so and receive 50% back.

That in my book (pardon the pun) is pretty cheap entertainement

I usually get half back of what I paid for books bought at On the Road Books, Backstreet Books and Lost Bookshop,

haven't been refused once. They took other shops' books back in the same way. Good experience all over.