Retirement visa details

Just now, SnareBear said:

Would be great if all airlines adopted that policy! No, I have never been offered this.

You may not like it !  In addition to agreeing to fund the cost of a return ticket the airline will also hit you with refunding any fines imposed on the airline for failing to follow IATA advice.

On August 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Grumpy Duck said:

As I understand to be issued a retirement visa outside of thailand one must also have a doctors report of physical exam. This requirement (expensive in USA) is not needed when applying within Thailand. 

Not expensive if you are old enough for Medicare. But the examine is quite extensive....I thought it would be ten minutes, but entailed some serious tests. Not like here for drivers license. As they gave me the paper I asked, "Where is the doctor?" She popped her head from around a screen and said, "Hi." What a joke. I am not sure why they even bother.

On 8/2/2017 at 3:43 AM, khunPer said:

You shall check in a local forum for the area where you are going to apply for extension of stay for 1 year based on retirement, as the rules are different in various areas.

Some Immigration Offices may also want (the additional demands where I renew my extension based on retirement):
Certified bank statment of your account(s), showing at least previous 3 month (presume 60 days for 1st application)

Original bank book(s)

Also a bank account showing daily transactions, if the 800k baht is in a separate account (will often be in a fixed deposit, due to interest)

Photocopies of your passport ID-page, Visa-page, page with last entry stamp, departure card attached to passport, page with last extension stamp (if renewing)

Copy af rental Agreement for house/condo/room

Copy of landlord's Blue House Book, and copy of Landlord's ID card

If you own condo or house, proof of residence-address, for example your Yellow House Book

Google Map with clear identification of your residence (house) + co-ordinates

Hand drawn simple map of the location of your residence (house)

Health certificate from Hospital, not older than 1 week

Some offices may not accept application for extension of stay before one week before your present permission to stay in the Kingdom expire

All photo copies shall be portrait and must be signed

The application can take several days, and demands for various proofs may change every year.

This year's new demand where I live, is:

»A new form with no number  -  only obtainable from the office, which states your Western name, and which they then translate for you to create a new Thai name.

Once the new forms are complete - you now need to go downstairs to an additional office and "register on the Internet" This is done for you, but costs an additional 40 Baht per applicant and takes around 20 mins. To complete this procedure you will need your passport and your residential documents - either rental agreement or blue book.«

(Probably only needed if you don't have a Yellow House Book, which states your name in certified Thai translation – I've not been through the new procedure yet, this year.)

Check the actual procedure with someone in your local area, who has already applied for extension based on retirement; some places it's a simple process, others it can be fairly complicated – wish you good luck...:smile:

PS: I agree with other posters in, that you shall try to get a non-immigrant-O visa in Sweden, before flying to Thailand. A non-O will give 90-days stay when you enter the Kingdom, and you avoid the Visa-procedure at the local Immigration Office. If there is a Thai Consulate in Sweden, they may provide you with a mail service for Non-O Visa (we could do that in Denmark via the consulate).

You wrote " Some offices may not accept application for extension of stay before one week before your present permission to stay in the Kingdom expire"  Do you mean can not apply for extension of stay based on retirement until your current extension of stay based on retirement is one week from expiration?  What off do like this?

You wrote, "Health certificate from Hospital, not older than 1 week"  What immigration office require this and is it this year?

You wrote, "Certified bank statment of your account"  What is certified?  Every bank give you a letter but what is Certified bank statement?  Is it different from the standard bank letter?

A new form with no number  -  only obtainable from the office, which states your Western name, and which they then translate for you to create a new Thai name.

Once the new forms are complete - you now need to go downstairs to an additional office and "register on the Internet" This is done for you, but costs an additional 40 Baht per applicant and takes around 20 mins. To complete this procedure you will need your passport and your residential documents - either rental agreement or blue book."  What immigration office require this for retirement extension"

You wrote, "

1 hour ago, amvet said:

You wrote " Some offices may not accept application for extension of stay before one week before your present permission to stay in the Kingdom expire"  Do you mean can not apply for extension of stay based on retirement until your current extension of stay based on retirement is one week from expiration?  What off do like this?

You wrote, "Health certificate from Hospital, not older than 1 week"  What immigration office require this and is it this year?

You wrote, "Certified bank statment of your account"  What is certified?  Every bank give you a letter but what is Certified bank statement?  Is it different from the standard bank letter?

A new form with no number  -  only obtainable from the office, which states your Western name, and which they then translate for you to create a new Thai name.

Once the new forms are complete - you now need to go downstairs to an additional office and "register on the Internet" This is done for you, but costs an additional 40 Baht per applicant and takes around 20 mins. To complete this procedure you will need your passport and your residential documents - either rental agreement or blue book."  What immigration office require this for retirement extension"

You wrote, "

Yes it's all true and present...

All what's stated is due for Surat Thani Immigration, Koh Samui Office – the present requirements can be followed in this pinned Samui-thread.

Even the law (?) says you can apply for a new extension from 30 days before your present extension of stay expires, you cannot in Samui Immigration, they only accept one week in advance.

Even the law (?) don't require a health certificate for extension of stay based on retirement, Samui Immigration does; but look at the bright side of life, it's not as comprehensive as one for Work Permit, as it default shall not include a "drug test".

Apart from the bank letter confirming your balance, not older than a few days before applying for extension of stay, you also need bank statements for three month for each bank account in question; statements printed, and stamped, and signed by the bank. The banks at Samui normally charge 100-200 baht for the letter, and 100 baht for each confirmed statement.

The new form with the translation of ones name into Thai, is a quote from the above Samui-thread, as it's so new, than it did not apply to me yet – however the detailed information form from last year, seem to abandoned.

As I posted, check with some in the local area, where you intend to apply for extension of stay, to know the details required – not all Immigrations seem to requite the same documents, and some Immigration Offices seem more difficult than others...:smile: