Thailand Not Favoured Anymore

sutnyod

Ebenfalls nicht gerade beliebt bei Touristen: der nahe Osten und einige Länder im asiatischen Raum, beispielsweise Thailand. Auch hier sind die übertriebenen und bürokratischen Kontrollen bei der Einreise der Grund.

Translation: Also not very favoured by tourists: the Near East and some countries in Asia, such as Thailand. Here, too, the reasons are over-zealous and bureaucratic procedures at entry. (source: Study America Partnership poll)

From the language used the article refers to tourists flying in to Thailand, not long-term 'residents' . . .

I also can't see how the visa procedures can be offputting to anyone not requiring a visa, like Germans, Brits, Aussies etc . . .

I can understand Indonesia where one requires a visa and to pay for it, but Thailand is visa-free.

Translation: Also not very favoured by tourists: the Near East and some countries in Asia, such as Thailand. Here, too, the reasons are over-zealous and bureaucratic procedures at entry.

I was told germans get a 6 month visa - if so, can't be too difficult.

Translation: Also not very favoured by tourists: the Near East and some countries in Asia, such as Thailand. Here, too, the reasons are over-zealous and bureaucratic procedures at entry.

They get 30days on arrival.

Any chance of a link to the whole article? This just cannot be right, Thailand is one of the easiest countries to get into for most nationalities.

I will second that ! in fact there are that not many countries left where you can get a free visa on arrival !!

Don't believe Germans :o (kidding)

Germans, like most tourists, can get a visa on arrival (30 days) or get a 90 day tourist visa at the embassy/consulate before traveling (leave country every 30 days).

Anything that will keep the banana hammock wearers out of Thailand is a good thing imo, regardless of what country they are from.

. . . same goes for morons . . .

Call me whatever you want, as long as you keep it covered...

Not calling you anything, just adding to your list.

Anything that will keep the banana hammock wearers out of Thailand is a good thing imo, regardless of what country they are from.

hey henry,

i think i like the horse better. :D

maybe you can put george riding the horse?

that would be good.

give it a crack mate.

cheers :o

Call me whatever you want, as long as you keep it covered...

If you don't like it ... don't look..simple . I let other people lead their lives the way they chose .. not tell them what they should do

I will second that ! in fact there are that not many countries left where you can get a free visa on arrival !!

dozens of countries exist where i get a visa on arrival without paying a single penny.

dozens of countries exist where i get a visa on arrival without paying a single penny.

Yup,most of the top tourist destinations for German's don't require visa's.Spain for example,is number one by a long way.

Tanga Speedo swimming trunks?, only for the happy sock brigade. :o

Edited by Robski

Oh the sweet irony.

Indeed . . . or should that have been 'mormons'? 0-6? Ouch!

Terry:

i think i like the horse better.

maybe you can put george riding the horse?

I'd like to see a horse riding 'W', actually! :o

Edited by Sing_Sling

oh really ?? can you enlighten me as to which ones these are - excluding those that are

in the European Community ?

oh really ?? can you enlighten me as to which ones these are - excluding those that are

in the European Community ?

New Zealand for one.

Add the USA to that.

Why exclude EU nations midas? Germans like to travel inside of europe.The fact that they can walk in and out(ahem no visa BS) is one of the reasons for this.

France gets more tourists than any other nation on the planet,Spain is a close second.Millions of germans travel to these two nations every year.

So when the Germans say Thailands visa rules are 'confusing' or 'expensive' ,they are comparing LOS with their favourite European tourist destinations.

Edited by Jonson83

Add the USA to that.

Why exclude EU nations midas? Germans like to travel inside of europe.The fact that they can walk in and out(ahem no visa BS) is one of the reasons for this.

France gets more tourists than any other nation on the planet,Spain is a close second.Millions of germans travel to these two nations every year.

So when the Germans say Thailands visa rules are 'confusing' or 'expensive' ,they are comparing LOS with their favourite European tourist destinations.

Well the USA and New Zealand doesn't constitute " dozens " ???? Obviously Germans can walk-in and out of other EU countries - that was one of the

many purposes of the Treaty !!!! That's why you cant compare the visa regulations within the European Union with Asian countries

and that's why I excluded EU nations. I was referring to entry into countries not bound by Visa Waiver agreements - such as

USA and NZ.

I still think Thailand is extremely generous with its free Visa on arrival - consider Cambodia $25 US , Laos $20 US , Myanamar

$20, India $20, China $20............

Even if there are " dozens "of countries that offer free visas on arrival there are still many others on the doorstep

of Thailand that are not so generous :o

Midas - I think Indonesia pretty much stands alone in charging for visas ( in the tourist destinations, together with China).

Thailand

HK

Malaysia

Singapore

Japan

korea

Australia

NZ

Don't know about VN or Cambodia

All of the EU and any country east of that.

So, the countries that charge a fee for a visa are in the definite minority, but I still don;t know how the Thai systme can be off-putting to tourists.

Cambodia and Indonesia are unusual in that they permit visa on arrival at the land border, but charge.

It leaves too much room for corruption with local officials demanding payment in local currency

at outrageous exchange rates.

Also note that Thailand charges for Visa on Arrival, but only at the airport, if you are not on the prefered list...........

Otherwise it is off to the Embassy for places like India.

For casual tourists the visa procedures are pretty easygoing. For the tourist who was last home in 1989, has three kids in Pattaya, and owns a restraunt it gets a bit bureaucratic, yes.

wing

I agree, for tourist, fairly straightforward( of course as the bring there holiday money with them). but like you say if you have a family and trying to earn an honest living, the red tape you have to work through gets more an more difficult. Ive always tried to do things the right way, but it just seems to get harder and harder, im starting to understand why people are relocating or just finding less honest ways of getting around the rules.