Here’s why you shouldn’t cry for Yingluck 

webfact

When my wife was a young girl she expressed a desire to learn English, her father asked her "learn English for what". I think his attitude is shared by a vast majority of Thais. Fortunately for my wife, she pressed on, worked in Singapore for five years, now speaks English and mandarin as well as thai.

The Thai elite do not like clever people , makes them look stupid . They pretend in rural schools 1 hour a week . Witch the kids hate . Very sad government. Maybe the top 50 starting from the big man should have there bank accounts laid on the table for all to scrutinise. Why have they got hundreds of times there salary there , oh shit I forgot lotto. Lucky chaps , so many of them . Mmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, phkauf said:

Wow!!! This is one of the most ignorant comments on this forum - great achievement Yellowboat! So I guess if you are not from the hotbeds of intelligentsia like NYC, Wash DC or LA, then you are just a rube off the turnip truck. 

And the Thai Doctor is correct, when have the Thais elected an honest, hard working representative government? Some countries need the strong man approach to get things done - I believe it's called the Benevolent Dictator Model. It worked quite well for Singapore.

If being opposed to any form of dictatorship makes one ignorant, happily guilty! 

Lived in singy for several years.  Should you ask a Singaporean if they are happy, you might be surprised by their answer.  You will also notice few smiling faces as you stroll around town.  Next to Nelson Mandela, who was the second longest held political prisoner in which country ?  You may wish to search Chia Thye Poh, political prisoner for the answer. 

Who the Thais elect is their business.  Representative governments take longer in some places than others to form.  The US and Taiwan went smoothly because you had an educated electorate and a deep desire for participation.  Thailand may take longer or never sadly because of attitudes like yours.   Westerners who favor autocracy, how profoundly sad. 

2 hours ago, phkauf said:

Wow!!! This is one of the most ignorant comments on this forum - great achievement Yellowboat! So I guess if you are not from the hotbeds of intelligentsia like NYC, Wash DC or LA, then you are just a rube off the turnip truck. 

And the Thai Doctor is correct, when have the Thais elected an honest, hard working representative government? Some countries need the strong man approach to get things done - I believe it's called the Benevolent Dictator Model. It worked quite well for Singapore.

When has there ever been an honest hardworking representative government in waiting they could vote for? Blame the candidates not the voter struggling to make a choice, for picking the 'wrong' one.

It saddens me so to see billionaires having to spend some of their own money, as Yingluck

has had to do.  I feel sad that her older brother still cannot come back to Thailand without facing

at least a bit of jail time and court time for his past.  Boo Hoo, Really!  555

Guilty as charged, Next case!

Geezer

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

It's the wealthy and powerful (and their hangers-on) who are not yet ready for democracy in Thailand.

They were saying the same thing in England - 800 years ago.

Welcome to Thailand

I would like to clarify my comment in that I am not in favor of Autocracy or Dictatorship, but as Baboon points out given the choices the Thais had the past years there really isn't much of an option. I would take a semi-honest (full honesty here is a bit of a stretch) strongman who had the country's best interest in mind over the typical political hacks. It would be great if someone would put the needs of the whole above the needs of the few for a change. Recently spent some time in the Philippines and in spite of the foreign press accounts of the problems with Duetre, the people really love him since he's the first president in a long time that is actually trying to make things better. I find his methods of extra-judicial killing abhorrent but people are willing to put up with it given how bad things have gotten.

It's not as if the Thai people aren't clamoring for good government. Every time a new group comes in with grandiose promises to get elected and things return back to the same old corruption and incompetence. The Thais deserve better, but unless a new breed of politician comes about nothing will change. Very few democracies are perfect or even close, but it takes competent, honest people willing to run for office as the first step to success. Otherwise people are stuck with the same old choices of a sh!t sandwich or sh!t omelette, either way you are stuck with sh!t. This applies to America, UK, France and everywhere else just as well.

A wise old Thai woman upcountry told me:

Thailand is not ready for democracy yet...
Heard a lot of people say the same thing in Bangkok, they tell me democracy cant work in Thailand. When i ask why not they say corrupt Politicians. When ask what about corrupt civil servants? There's no answer and they just say its complicated.

Sent from my HUAWEI G750-U10 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, phkauf said:

I would like to clarify my comment in that I am not in favor of Autocracy or Dictatorship, but as Baboon points out given the choices the Thais had the past years there really isn't much of an option.

Whose decision is it to then take away the Thai population's vote due to lack up options ?   Who decides the options ?  

Some messes just take longer to clean up than others and there are no shortcuts. 

When my wife was a young girl she expressed a desire to learn English, her father asked her "learn English for what". I think his attitude is shared by a vast majority of Thais. Fortunately for my wife, she pressed on, worked in Singapore for five years, now speaks English and mandarin as well as thai.

Your fault for marrying a Scot.