Cambodia Claims to Meet HIV Reduction Targets Ahead of Schedule

geovalin

The Cambodian government has committed itself to eliminating new cases of HIV infection by 2025.

PHNOM PENH — 

Cambodia has said it has reached its HIV testing and treatment targets three years ahead of schedule.

In a statement the Ministry of Health and UNHIV/AIDS program last week said the so-called 90-90-90 targets of informing people of their HIV status, helping people access treatment, and where those accessing treatment are receiving viral suppression, had been met ahead of the 2020 goal.

As a result Cambodia joins just six other countries to have already met the targets, the statement said, making it the country with the highest levels of treatment coverage in the region.

“Cambodia is to be congratulated for reaching this global target three years before the world’s deadline,” Vladanka Andreeva, UNAIDS Cambodia director, was quoted in the statement as saying. “This shows that the country’s strong leadership, commitment and engagement with communities are having phenomenal results.”

Mam Bunheng, minister of health, could not be reached for comment, but ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said the achievement reflected the government’s efforts over the past few years.

Choub Sok Chamreun, executive director of Khana, an organization that works with HIV-affected people, said civil society was pleased with the advances in HIV/AIDS treatment and care that Cambodia has made.

“We strongly believe this momentum will be maintained to support the Kingdom in eliminating new HIV infections or to have fewer than 300 new cases a year,” he said.

Vandine said that the health ministry was concerned that the progress might not be sustainable as donor countries scaled back funding. “Currently we are faced with a challenge to the sustainability and the quality of service provision for HIV treatment as foreign aid is reduced,” she said.

Official figures suggest the national HIV/AIDS rate dropped from 0.48 percent in 2010 to 0.28 percent in 2014.

The Cambodian government has committed itself to eliminating new cases of HIV infection by 2025, but the commitment was thrown into doubt after two mass HIV outbreaks in 2015 and 2016.

read more https://www.voacambodia.com/a/cambodia-claims-to-meet-hiv-reduction-targets-ahead-of-schedule/3966194.html

whats_on_sukhumvit_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright VOA 03/08

Has anyone met anyone or heard of a friend with HIV that wasn't an intravenous drug user or bisexual?

I haven't!  I'm 70 and lived here for 12 years, in Costa Rica 11 years, In Vietnam one year, traveled all over Mexico for many years and lived in the Czech republic for one year while traveling all over Europe.

I think the HIV scare started with condom sales reps!  I get a blood test for HIV  and syphilis every six months.  The results are always negative.

My medical doctors in private hospitals who have practiced medicine in the above countries for many years never had an HIV patient!

The best investment I ever made was a vasectomy!

:partytime2:

Edited by Kabula

41 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Has anyone met anyone or heard of a friend with HIV that wasn't an intravenous drug user or bisexual?

I haven't!  I'm 70 and lived here for 12 years, in Costa Rica 11 years, In Vietnam one year, traveled all over Mexico for many years and lived in the Czech republic for one year while traveling all over Europe.

I think the HIV scare started with condom sales reps!  I get a blood test for HIV  and syphilis every six months.  The results are always negative.

My medical doctors in private hospitals who have practiced medicine in the above countries for many years never had an HIV patient!

The best investment I ever made was a vasectomy!

:partytime2:

What has a vasectomy got to do with HIV-AIDS, syphillis, libido or sexuality?

It merely means you're firing blanks, and nothing more.

55 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I haven't!  I'm 70

You seem to have missed that fact that HIV is a disease of heterosexuals and is not exclusive to drug users or 'bi-sexuals' although some of those people may indeed have the misfortune to contact the disease. Most people are unaware of their positive HIV status. 

"The latest CDC estimates of new HIV infections (HIV incidence) in the United States indicate that HIV remains a serious health problem, with an estimated 47,500 people becoming newly infected with the virus in the United States in 2010" 

It is the repeating of misinformed nonsense such as you write that is, by far, the biggest hindrance associated with bringing the problem under control.

2 hours ago, Here2008 said:

You seem to have missed that fact that HIV is a disease of heterosexuals and is not exclusive to drug users or 'bi-sexuals' although some of those people may indeed have the misfortune to contact the disease. Most people are unaware of their positive HIV status. 

"The latest CDC estimates of new HIV infections (HIV incidence) in the United States indicate that HIV remains a serious health problem, with an estimated 47,500 people becoming newly infected with the virus in the United States in 2010" 

It is the repeating of misinformed nonsense such as you write that is, by far, the biggest hindrance associated with bringing the problem under control.

2 hours ago, Here2008 said:

And you trust the CDC? I bet you still get flu  vaccines. 

Are you a snowflake?

You didn't answer my question! The nonsense you write makes people lose a lot of pleasure! I bet your scared of thunderstorms as well.

Actually my research indicates that it is damn near impossible for a heterosexual male to catch HIV from a vagina.

People die daily in crosswalks and car accidents, and they probably wear condums!

3 hours ago, masuk said:

What has a vasectomy got to do with HIV-AIDS, syphillis, libido or sexuality?

It merely means you're firing blanks, and nothing more.

Go away Troll.....use your brain....no condum....no  pregnancy worries for the female with a vasectomy.

The majority of HIV+ cases in Cambodia are due to  hetrosexual transmission. The epidemiological pattern iof HIV spread in Asia is quite different than in the West. Also the case with Africa where it is also mainly heterosexual spread.

I find it hard to belief they have a clue. Until the pharmaceutical corps legalize simple and cheap tests for HIV based on urine or saliva my guess is that maybe 5% of people that work in the sex industry have had any tests done, and even if they have and know they have it they arent going to own up to it and stop working

They have considerably more thana "clue". There are very well developed surveillance systems based on blood testing of statisticlly representative samples of both high risk groups and general population.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, Kabula said:

Actually my research indicates that it is damn near impossible for a heterosexual male to catch HIV from a vagina.

Your "research" is unpublished, lacks any academic or scientific validity and is therefore valueless.