"hidden" "ethnic" Restaurant Wonders Of Pattaya!

Jingthing

What about Fish n Chips, has anybody found a good spot?

The best I have found are at Yorkies on Jomtien.

For all round good Thai food at affordable prices Somsak (Soi 1?) takes some beating!

Cheers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good Thai Restaurant is on the Sukumvit road, past a little bit and opposite side the Outlet Mall.

Called "Khao Blao, Khao Niao" (spelling could be wrong :D ).

Nice ambience, directly on a pond. Some tables are on float (don't sit there if you get sea sick :o )

If someone is looking for Bavarian food. I can recommend Ann's Garden at the Soi Khao Noi (on the east side of Sukumvit). Is located beside a new build 7Eleven, you can not miss.

They offer typical Bavarian dishes as well as Thai food. Quality is excellent, the owner really take care to take only the best ingredients.

The best noodle soup I know has a small restaurant located at the small road above Carrefour (I don't know the Soi name). You can find it easy, they have a small wooden thaiboat outstanding of the restaurant

For all round good Thai food at affordable prices Somsak (Soi 1?) takes some beating!

Cheers

Try Simon's fish and chips, Jomtien Complex. "Forget Paris. Our chef trained in Grimsby" :o

Edited by Phil Conners

Cheers

Try Simon's fish and chips, Jomtien Complex. "Forget Paris. Our chef trained in Grimsby" :o

Thanks will give it a try, do they use beer batter by chance?

Khanom Gene (sp) those homemade white noodles with some great curry toppings, location is Central Pattaya Road same side as Carrefor but up towards Foodland. The menu is in Thai as well as the sign ( hint: it is next to the 2nd hand shop and language and computer school). This place is really good - try the "sow nam" or "nam prik" khanom gene Pretty sure some of the members here know the place.

Nice one Vespa went there after reading this as it's just around the corner. Mrs Robski had the white noodles with fish curry and I had the yellow noodles with chicken curry, 65baht, very nice good flavour not just hot, the lady owner said it was chiang mai style. definately be going there again to try some more dishes. btw the second hand shop is a dress shop but dont know if they are second hand, just look it.

If you know the area the soi that crosses pattaya klang and runs up between carrefour and the ss hotel, paniad chang (soi yume) in the morning until about 9.30, about two or three stalls up on the right hand side there is a guy who does deep fried dough, some mornings he has these deep fried dough parcels with pork and egg inside, oh they are the breakfast of choice for this expat, beats a fry up. 3 for 20 baht, don't know what they're called, have asked, but we're still at the point and ask stage, don't eat them all and leave some for me.

A question now; Mrs Robski's birthday is on 7th of Jan and mine's on the 8th, what I'd like to do is go first to a buffet to eat, there's a good one on south pattaya road above third road on the right hand side, but I want something a bit classsy and still thai style, does anyone know of any perhaps near the centre that aren't too touristy?

Cheers and happy eating.

Edited by Robski

best pad thai, only 25 baht, just as you turn into soi nern plhap waan (suk 53) from suk road , it is barely 10 meters up the road on your left, only a little stall and doesn't open till 5 or 6pm, but you can see the cart parked there in the daytime. just look for the queues when the stall opens, mainly Thais but a few farangs know about it and probably a few more now.

Yep the PadThai from this stall is excellent.. The Stall is called '' PadThai SukoThai '' Sorry can't write Thai script on this PC. Its a little different from the PadThai available elsewhere cos they add ''Muu Daeng'' (Chinese style red roasted pork) and ''nang muu grob'' (crispy pork cracklings) If you buy a packet to take home careful as you unwrap it as there will be a couple of teaspoons full of Prik pon (roasted chilli powder) and sugar inside the package.. You can ask for no chilli ( mai sai prik pon khrap) if you don't like it too spicy (but I like it sweet and hot like da Thais)

Many of my Thaifriends have raved about the taste when I showed them the stall.

Another good place that has just opened is on the left hand side of Pattaya nua just after the traffic lights for third rd (heading towards Sukhumvit) It sells excellent muu satay (pork satay) there is a big sign outside above the groundfloor shophouse (its in Thai so you may need a wife/GF) but excellent taste and peanut sauce isn't too sweet..price is right too..

Enjoy... great thread idea too.

Good topic. Thanks.

my regular food haunts:

1-No apparent name but it's on Tai directly across from Krung Thai bank. There's a blue and white awning. Chicken Massaman (35 bt) is orgasmic. Very popular. Open 24 hrs. Also try the Chicken Kapow if you like spicey or Pumpkin Coconut curry.

:o

Seconded!

This is a great place, I had lunch there today...fantastic. It has no name but lies directly under 'Charon Optical Blue and White awning as 'Pattayapunter' said.

Recommended.

Another on Third Road past Soi Xzyte at the 3rd Road end of Soi Chayapoon is Len Kee 2. I do not know if it is related to Len Kee 1 on Pattaya Klang, but it is excellent.

Theres a Kebab stand on 2nd rd just between soi 13 and soi 12, they have beef and chicken ones at 50 baht or larger ones 70 baht, best have had in pattaya so far.

Also found a nice burger place on Pattaya Tai serves 20cm/8" burgers! just near the corner of 3rd rd, called bobs?

Still havent found a good lamb kebab here yet. Anyone?

Also tasty Chicken Kebabs for 30 baht on Soi Bahkeow near Sawasdee Hotel, on the same side heading towards Pattaya Tai , about 50 metres up. Near Soi Honey.

yep they are good on soi bahkeow, just get there before 9pm or its all gone also watch the drinking water they serve at the restaurant we had a bottle come to the table namthip no safety seal and the cap seal broken too and it tasted like white bottle water, reckon they are trying to save some money here, the kebab was only 29 baht too!, the one on 2nd rd i mentioned opens at 8pmish and closes at 5am.

I recommend the new Pakistani-Indian restaurant/take-away on Soi Bukhaew.

It has a bright red sign ' Saleem Restaurant' and is opposite Soi Honey.

The curries I have had were great only 130 baht and a good sized portion. Pick up a menu outside, free delivery as well.

I am a bit worried though, it has been shut for the last four days, maybe for the holiday?

Thanks for this suggestion and to all others who have mentioned so many places around town. I for one am certainly hearing about places I never knew about, so I hope this can continue.

Regarding SALEEM RESTAURANT, I did visit for the first time and have these comments. This appears to be an above average Thai style Indian restaurant. While it doesn't compare with the better Indian restaurants in Bangkok, I agree it is a great find. Had the chicken madras curry (used boneless chicken), a very nice and very large nan stuffed with mashed potatoes (lots of butter on top, wish I had asked for none), and a quite decent raita yogurt dish. Good portion, good flavor, good value. I was told there is now a new chef so this might explain the closing. My only real nit is the curry was not hot and spicy enough for my taste, even though I specifically requested it extra spicy.

In the spirit of this thread, here is one of my finds:

the Indian restaurant at the Beverly Plaza Hotel in South Pattaya does a 200 baht Indian buffet nightly that is rather a cultural experience. The crowd (until after this post?) apears to exclusively be local Thai-Indians and even gets quite crowded on weekend nights. The buffet always includes a decent variety of both meat and vegetarian curries (as well as all the expected items such as nan, rice, soup, pickles rice pudding desert), and the spicing level is quite hot. Not the most sophisticated Indian food in the world, but excellent value, and its good enough for the local Indians. BTW, I do feel the food is better than other dinner Indian buffet in town, the Kohinoor, which I do not recommend. If a bunch of farangs start showing up, they will be freaked out for sure! BTW, you dine on tables surrounding their downscale swimming pool, and the fun moves inside during rainy season.

Beverly Plaza Hotel

59/35 Phratamnak Road, Pattaya 20260, Thailand

INDIAN BUFFET nightly, from 8 PM to 10 PM

Location map:

http://www.asia-discovery.com/pattaya/beverlyplaza/map.htm

Edited by Jingthing

best pad thai, only 25 baht, just as you turn into soi nern plhap waan (suk 53) from suk road , it is barely 10 meters up the road on your left, only a little stall and doesn't open till 5 or 6pm, but you can see the cart parked there in the daytime. just look for the queues when the stall opens, mainly Thais but a few farangs know about it and probably a few more now.

Yep the PadThai from this stall is excellent.. The Stall is called '' PadThai SukoThai '' Sorry can't write Thai script on this PC. Its a little different from the PadThai available elsewhere cos they add ''Muu Daeng'' (Chinese style red roasted pork) and ''nang muu grob'' (crispy pork cracklings) If you buy a packet to take home careful as you unwrap it as there will be a couple of teaspoons full of Prik pon (roasted chilli powder) and sugar inside the package.. You can ask for no chilli ( mai sai prik pon khrap) if you don't like it too spicy (but I like it sweet and hot like da Thais)

Many of my Thaifriends have raved about the taste when I showed them the stall.

Another good place that has just opened is on the left hand side of Pattaya nua just after the traffic lights for third rd (heading towards Sukhumvit) It sells excellent muu satay (pork satay) there is a big sign outside above the groundfloor shophouse (its in Thai so you may need a wife/GF) but excellent taste and peanut sauce isn't too sweet..price is right too..

Enjoy... great thread idea too.

Myself and hubby like trying the more interesting places to eat but as we are both european we do not have a "mobile translation unit" i.e.W/GF ,not even a mere noi(sorry about spelling),so any sugestions,pointing and smiling does not always get you the best food going :o

Edited by mavisnt

I have to add my BRAVO! to the list of those happy to see this thread. My wife and I love eating out, and have fairly broad tastes, since she's Thai, and I'm American.

I know that most of the references here have focussed on foods of Asian "ethnicity". However, I would hope that the foods of other ethnic backgrounds will also be included. One place that is among my favorites, for example is "Swiis Paradise Restaurant". It is located at the village of the same name, near the east end of Nern Plubwarn. (Nern Plubwarn to the flashing yellow light, just after the right turn near the east end, before the 7-11 at the corner. Turn right just past the light. Then take the next left (Mabtato). Follow that road for about 1 km, bearing to the right at the fork with "Tacino's" Italian restaurant at the corner. (Tacino's also has very good Italian food. Opens at 5 PM. But has a serious mosquitoe problem!)

You'll find Swiss Paradise on the left side, a few hundred yards after that fork in the road.

The food is obviously Swiss. Very good bratwurst, rosti, and other items. But the quality of the steak and pork is also excellent. The owner, Walter, is an experienced chef and restauranteur of many years in Switzerland, prior to moving here 10 years ago. Very pleasant host, who enjoys meeting his customers. Prices here are higher than at a Thai restaurant, but well below those of the Fine Dining places on Thappraya Road.

My wife also has a favorite place for Som Tam. It's located on Sukhumvit, just north of The Ambassador. Just a little roadside shop, with no name that I can recall seeing. I love Som Tam, but I'm not nearly as "discerning" in my ratings of it as is my wife. She has not found any place in Pattaya that is as good as this one, except (of all places!) the buffet at Royal Cliff. Obviously, it's a lot cheaper at this place! :-) Any recommendations for "the best Som Tam" from those of you with Thai ladies in your life would be appreciated.

I'm always on the lookout for good Italian restaurants. I know of, and enjoy the ones on Thappraya Road (like Pan Pan and Gian's), and I know that there are dozens of them all over town. But any "rave" reviews would still be appreciated.

Meanwhile, bon appetit to all!

I really miss Ethiopian food (insert food scarcity-Ethiopia joke). It's various delicious meat and veggie dishes laid out on a large pancake that you use to wrap the foods in and chomp away with you hands. No cutlery. 4 out of 5 dentists agree that eating with your hands make the food taste better.

Does anyone know if this type exists in Pattaya or BKK? Thanks.

I really miss Ethiopian food (insert food scarcity-Ethiopia joke). It's various delicious meat and veggie dishes laid out on a large pancake that you use to wrap the foods in and chomp away with you hands. No cutlery. 4 out of 5 dentists agree that eating with your hands make the food taste better.

Does anyone know if this type exists in Pattaya or BKK? Thanks.

YES! There is indeed ONE Ethiopian restaurant in Thailand and it is in Bangkok.

If someone knows of another one, I'll buy them a plate of injera.

The Ethiopian place in Bangkok is called:

The Abyssinya Cafe

16/11 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 3, Bangkok (02 655 3436)

It will not impress fans of this cuisine as the best they ever had, but the spices and flavors, including the injera, are really mostly authentic. It is run by some charming Ethiopian people.

Definitely worth a visit for those wanting to indulge this very specific taste and craving, which I share.

Regarding the comment about people mentioning mostly Asian restaurants, well, it is certainly not my intent as the OP here to suggest any restrictions whatsoever on food nationality.

Pattaya of course has many wonderful European food options. Regarding the Asian options, I have noticed that non-Thai, non-Chinese Asian places are mostly catering to their respective ethnic groups in Pattaya, so those particular places often do fall into the category of hidden and unknown. And who doesn't like to learn about hidden treasures?

But, I certainly agree any national flavor of food (including THAI of course!) is welcome for discussion here.

Now, I have a question, is there someone here who can provide first hand information about some of the many Russian and Uzbeki restaurants in the area? Another example of a food type that seems to mostly attract its own national group.

Now excuse me, I am getting hungry ...

Edited by Jingthing

But, I certainly agree any national flavor of food (including THAI of course!) is welcome for discussion here.

Really!? In that case the diner in Foodland, fresh, quick and tasty Thai and american food, oh and very cheap and very good fresh coffee.

Ever been having a few beers and you get hungry? Just feel like some pork or chicken on a stick? Or a bit of BBQ sticky rice for the missus? This guy has been in soi 8 opposite the Flipper Lodge for years and years, check him out if you only want a bit of good cheap tasty Thai finger food, cheers.

post-5966-1168122505_thumb.jpg

Edited by bmanly

New Buffalo Grill (Steakhouse?) (did I get that name right .. it's been 2.5 years) on Soi Buakhao. Don't know about the steaks but their pork chop and fries with garlic butter .. yum!

Belgium, I believe. Not expensive for the quality, as I recall.

Thats real ethnic Thai food hey???? :o

"Ethnic" in Thailand .. doh! :D

Don't like my report, move on. Someone might enjoy it.

OK, using the word "ethnic" might not have been so good as it causes confusion in the context of an international resort in Thailand. A better way of describing it might be "not so widely known."

In the west, ethnic restaurant usually means a restaurant serving the food of a nationality other than the country you are in. It also suggests the "exotic." So in the US, a Mexican restaurant is ethnic, a Thai restaurant is ethnic, an Ethiopian restaurant is ethnic. However, a French restaurant is not usually called ethnic. But some might call a Portuguese restaurant serving piri piri chicken ethnic. So the term is imprecise even in the west.

In Pattaya we have people from all of the world, most TV users are farangs from different countries, but many dine out with their Thai partners. To a Thai, a hamburger or pizza might be ethnic to them but not to their farang friend.

So, anyway, and hopefully for the last time, good restaurant food finds of ANY nationality including Thai and including your home country cuisine are of interest.

However, there is another class of the truly unknown restaurants by farangs, only for the hard core adventurous diners out there. There are so many restaurants and food stands around town, some of them without English menus at all, and sometimes they don't have Thai menus either! (Like Korean places.) So, there is a rich vein of the undiscovered out there, so if you know about it, please share the wealth. If enough farangs start going to these places, they might even translate the menus!

Edited by Jingthing

Good topic. Thanks.

my regular food haunts:

1-No apparent name but it's on Tai directly across from Krung Thai bank. There's a blue and white awning. Chicken Massaman (35 bt) is orgasmic. Very popular. Open 24 hrs. Also try the Chicken Kapow if you like spicey or Pumpkin Coconut curry.

Seconded!

This is a great place, I had lunch there today...fantastic. It has no name but lies directly under 'Charon Optical Blue and White awning as 'Pattayapunter' said.

It has a name:

img3108vu9.jpg

img3105gq9.jpg

img3104xo8.jpg

img3106en7.jpg

Good topic. Thanks.

my regular food haunts:

Seconded!

It has a name:

img3108vu9.jpg

"ปรีเปรม" which is "Pre Praem" which roughly translates to be happy

Good topic. Thanks.

my regular food haunts:

Seconded!

It has a name:

img3108vu9.jpg

img3105gq9.jpg

img3104xo8.jpg

img3106en7.jpg

The link doesn't work for me. Can you tell me either the nearest cross street, or the approximate distance down from Sukhumvit that I'd find this place? Thanks!

Not quite what you would normally call "ethnic", but I don't think there are many of these in Pattaya:

Patrick's Belgian Restaurant, in the walking arcade opposite Mike's Shopping Mall in Second Road. Great food (I know that expression doesn't usually appear in the same paragraph as "Belgian Restaurant", try it). Nice atmosphere and good selection of Belgian beers.

Valencia Spanish Restaurant, in Thepprasit road, near the corner of Soi 5. Small and unpretentious decor (quite basic really), but the food is excellent and prices very reasonable.

Funny you should mention Belgian food!

I just had me some yummy mussels tonight at:

-Sanong's Brussels resto 504/523 Moo 10 Pattaya soi 17 (in front of yensabai condo)

They do a set menu under 200 baht, includes salad (quite decent), main course, Belgian fries with mayo sauce, and choice of desert or coffee.

This is a good find, it was mentioned before on this forum. Resto was filled with French speaking people, and I take that as a good sign.

The mussels themselves were exceptionally plump and tasty. I was sad that I didn't taste any wine in the steam sauce.

I agree that Patricks is a good Belgian place. They have a mussel special on Friday nights I think and of course also has good Belgian fries. I like the goulash croquettes there.

Yet another place for Belgian mussels is at a place owned by a Dutchman, at the Renoir Restaurant of the Flamingo Hotel. The mussels are on Friday night only and the set includes a salad bar, and fries with a nice mustard dip. Reniors is on the Flamingo Hotel Soi (near Tukcom) right off Pattaya Tai, South Pattaya.

OK, I will admit I have had better Belgian mussels in Europe and the US than these three places, but all three are more than servicable for all you Belgophiles (is that a word?)

Edited by Jingthing