Petchaburi immigration income confirmation.

Just a heads up for anybody getting an extension in the new Petchaburi Immigration office at Tha Yang.

I asked when I was getting a reentry permit about 5 months ago if I needed to get my income letter from the Canadian Embassy authorised by the DFA in Chaeng Wattana as Hua Hin immigration required last year so I could get it done when I returned through Bangkok.

I was told no, if I did of last year, I didn't need to do it this year.

So today, off to Immigration, everything done, handed over the 1900 baht.

Then they said I had to get the letter stamped by the DFA.

Apparently this lunacy has migrated from Hua Hin.

When I asked why they told me no before, the explanation was a retirement extension only requires a stamp one time but a marriage extension must be done every year.

Huh!!

The reason quoted last year was that people had been forging income letters. So you can forge it for marriage but not retirement?

This is crazy. Now I think there's 4 offices only in Thailand that requires this. A friend just got his extension last week in Udon Thank without any of this nonsense.

Now its compounded with some income letters needing a stamp, others not.

I could actually see a one time verification. But when your on a pension and return the next year with a letter from your embassy confirming the same pension, what exactly are the chances that you're cheating?

I forgot to ask if this was for all nationalities because, apparently in Hua Hin some were exempt.

More logic.

Oh well, off to Chaeng Wattana.

I'd try inquiring at a high level about this but I'm afraid they'd consider it nation wide instead of getting rid of this nonsense.

• Like 2

It is a verification of the consular officers signature on the income letter not the letter.itself or the amount on it.

Strange though that they said only for marriage. I think we will see reports of those for retirement needing it also there.

There was a recent report of Hua HIn not requiring it now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a verification of the consular officers signature on the income letter not the letter.itself or the amount on it.

Strange though that they said only for marriage. I think we will see reports of those for retirement needing it also there.

There was a recent report of Hua Hin not requiring it now.

Really ubonjoe?

Maybe the head honcho from HH is heading Petchaburi now.

Yes, I know what it is for, just doesn't make much sense.

I wish I could just mail the letter in to be verified but I was told this was not possible last year. I'll check again.

The problem is at my embassy I can only get a letter in the morning and then it is too late to get through the zoo in Chaeng Wattana.

So its a 2 day routine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Psychic said:

The problem is at my embassy I can only get a letter in the morning and then it is too late to get through the zoo in Chaeng Wattana.

So its a 2 day routine.

You can request the letter be sent to you by EMS after paying an extra fee to have it done. No need to wait for it to be done that way.

You can request normal service from 08:30 to 15:30 at the department of consular affairs. Flow charts with info is here (click to enlarge). http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/71860-ขั้นตอนการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร---Legalization-Proc.html

• Like 2

in sakon nahkon    it seems that the all important  feature required is the official stamp has to be the raised  (braille type)    i have actually seen the IO run his finger over the impression    mind you that was last year   who knows 

Ok, little update from the exciting 14 hour trip to Chaeng Wattana.

Handed all the documents in and paid and was told to return at 2:30.

There is basically squat to do there so I showed up at the designated counter at 2 hoping to get the stamped letter a little early. Since we had up to a 5 hour trip back home.

Nobody waiting at the counter, but was told to come back at 2:30.

When I came back, just in time to hear my name called, there was between 100-150 people queued up.

Anyway, that gave me time to go and talk to a very nice information lady who took a lot of trouble to help.

She dug up a paper that said that I could mail the documents in with a 400 baht processing fee and 60 baht to cover postage, so hopefully this is my last trip there.

Given that it is, apparently, only 2 days to get the letter mailed, in retrospect I should have just paid 60 baht and went back home immediately.

This, of course, is in direct contradiction to what I was told last year at the local immigration office and by a not so nice information lady at Chaeng Wattana who told me I could have them mailed out but I had to show up in person to have them processed.

But, good to know if they can manage to stick by the same rules for a full year.

I'll try to post a photo of the form tomorrow.

Right now, its a cold brew and bed.

Edited by Psychic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Psychic said:

There is basically squat to do there so I showed up at the designated counter at 2 hoping to get the stamped letter a little early. Since we had up to a 5 hour trip back home.

When I came back, just in time to hear my name called, there was between 100-150 people queued up.

Anyway, that gave me time to go and talk to a very nice information lady who took a lot of trouble to help.

She dug up a paper that said that I could mail the documents in with a 400 baht processing fee and 60 baht to cover postage, so hopefully this is my last trip there.

Given that it is, apparently, only 2 days to get the letter mailed, in retrospect I should have just paid 60 baht and went back home immediately.

This, of course, is in direct contradiction to what I was told last year at the local immigration office and by a not so nice information lady at Chaeng Wattana who told me I could have them mailed out but I had to show up in person to have them processed.

But, good to know if they can manage to stick by the same rules for a full year.

I was there last week and found the experience traumatic. Are you saying, that we can 'Mail In' our Embassy verification document and have it returned by EMS?  If this is correct then I'm excited. For those that haven't had to experience this requirement, you should be ever so thankful.

11 hours ago, Psychic said:

I don't understand. You said you brought in all the documents, but then later talked about mailing documents. Mailing what documents?

16 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I don't understand. You said you brought in all the documents, but then later talked about mailing documents. Mailing what documents?

He was referring to possibley mailing them in next time.

Then he wrote that should of paid the fee to have the documents sent back to him instead of waiting for them to be completed when he was there yesterday.

Edit: I just did a little digging around on their website and found the procedure to mail in the paper work in Thai and english. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/72113-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์---Mailing-Service.html

Legalization application form is here http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/form-20160923-120157-166709.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Nonthaburi Immigration has required the CFA certification for my last two visa extensions.  I am getting the impression that it started in Nonthaburi but unsure.  First time at CFA. had to wait for the letter.  Last March, the letter had the mail option.  Saved a lot of time.  I don't know the reason for the CFA stop but like above, suspect someone tried to turn in a forged letter.  But in any case it seems to be a sign of the times.

i will make my retirement extension next year February for the first time in Tha Yang,the last  5 years in HuaHin without any problems,they never ask me a legalization from the affidavit from the embassy,my retirement is + 65000/month,i am from Belgium,may be is an other rule for marriage visa extension,i will ask in October if necessary for this legalization for this document,i am very curious and will continue to follow this topic.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

He was referring to possibley mailing them in next time.

Then he wrote that should of paid the fee to have the documents sent back to him instead of waiting for them to be completed when he was there yesterday.

Edit: I just did a little digging around on their website and found the procedure to mail in the paper work in Thai and english. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/6441/72113-บริการรับรองเอกสารทางไปรษณีย์---Mailing-Service.html

Legalization application form is here http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/files/form-20160923-120157-166709.pdf

I am confused as to which office in Bangkok I need to go to to have my UK pension income letter authorised. Can you please confirm.

This is the form you need to send in.

Also a copy of the passport photo page, visa page and I included the departure card.

Sign the copies.

Another funny little thing. The immigration officer came out to the house today to take photos of himself and us together.

Last year I was told I should change shirts in the pictures.

This year he said they wouldn't need a follow up visit if the wife also changed shirts.

Very Pythonesque :-)

IMG_20170805_133202.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vivananahuahin said:

i will make my retirement extension next year February for the first time in Tha Yang,the last  5 years in HuaHin without any problems,they never ask me a legalization from the affidavit from the embassy,my retirement is + 65000/month,i am from Belgium,may be is an other rule for marriage visa extension,i will ask in October if necessary for this legalization for this document,i am very curious and will continue to follow this topic.

Yes. Last year at Hua Hin it was reported that not all nationalities were being required to do it.

Not sure which ones and I don't know if Tha Yang is also being selective.

Forgot to ask the IO.

• Like 1

I've lived here for many years and never had a problem with my income letter at Hua Hin immigration.  I have been told that US income letters have to be verified because it's in the form of an affidavit which does not require proof of income.

As far as verifying the consular's signature is concerned, well that can't be true.  I've literally extended for a year only two weeks ago.  My income letter from the British Embassy is signed by a Thai in the consular section.  Not countersigned by the consul.  Just carries the Embassy Seal.

Incidentally, I turned up at immigration at 2pm with the relevant documents and was back in my car by 2:15 duly stamped for another year.

Hua Hin immigration receives lots of praise and very rarely do I hear of anything untoward.

• Like 1

I just had my income letter (the form is available on the US Embassy website) notarized at the Embassy a few days ago. No proof was necessary. It took all of 10 mins.

Next step for me is taking it Immigration for the extension. 

• Like 1

Firstly, no the letter from the British embassy does not have to be translated.

From what I understand, the letter from the US embassy is just an affidavit whereas the British Embassy requires evidence of your income which is re-iterated in the issued letter.  As far as I know, immigration has never had a problem with UK income letters but I have heard of problems with the US letter.  Not sure about other nationalities.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:51 AM, DavetheGreek said:

I am confused as to which office in Bangkok I need to go to to have my UK pension income letter authorised. Can you please confirm.

The office that you will need to go to to get your embassy letter confirming income/pension authenticated is The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) – Consular Division – Legalisation Department which is based on the Chang Wattana Road, Bangkok 10210.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, DavetheGreek said:

Does the letter from the British Embassy have to be translated into Thai?

If the embassy letter is in English, then it doesn’t need to be translated into Thai.

FYI - I was informed by my local IO that they require the embassy letter to be authenticated because they have encountered a number of forgeries.  They want MFA to validate that the document and signature is genuine.

I have attached the stamp which was endorsed on the back of my embassy letter a couple of weeks ago at the MFA – Consular Division.  You will see that it states “Certified Genuine Signature(s) of XXXXXXXXXXXX”.  Where Xs = name of person who signed the letter at the embassy.

Stamp.jpg

• Like 1

On 05/08/2017 at 1:36 PM, Psychic said:

This is the form you need to send in.

Also a copy of the passport photo page, visa page and I included the departure card.

Sign the copies.

Another funny little thing. The immigration officer came out to the house today to take photos of himself and us together.

Last year I was told I should change shirts in the pictures.

This year he said they wouldn't need a follow up visit if the wife also changed shirts.

Very Pythonesque :-)

IMG_20170805_133202.jpg

Thanks for that. I have to have two certified copies done 1) for Non O Visa  2) Retirement extension (not visa.. lol)  All this paper work had to be also signed by a JP in Australia, that being...police report, medical certificate, income statement. In saying that, the JP was very amused. I made the error of NOT getting the Retirement extension in Canberra as both the Retirement and Non O came with multiple entries which I didn't require.  beggars belief.

I'd stay away from Canberra..

On 8/5/2017 at 1:45 PM, bobonzo said:

I just had my income letter (the form is available on the US Embassy website) notarized at the Embassy a few days ago. No proof was necessary. It took all of 10 mins.

Next step for me is taking it Immigration for the extension. 

Just finished the exact same thing only I filed Monday and all was well with the original and a copy they made in the immigration office for me for another married extension. Couldn't find anyone with dinosaur iphone4 connections so they gave my wife a line account and told us to go home, take the required house and number, living-room and bedroom shots (no action shots needed :P) and send them back on Line. Accepted within moments and we were officially done.

On a side-note: My wife is at best, tenacious when it comes to a goal or removing an "irritation" to our otherwise peaceful life. When we left immigration knowing what photos we needed to make, she got on the phone to mom, who just got out of the hospital, to tell her we are coming and we need to make photos. We get there and she wakes poor mom up and drags her outside in the rain, to take a photo. She then recruits the neighbor's daughter to take the photo but instructs her to stand in the middle of the road, in the rain, with traffic rolling through, to make sure the house, her, mom and I all show in the photo. The rest were indoors and easy. :) Thai women, gotta love 'em.

Edited by mrwebb8825

On 8/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, HHTel said:

Firstly, no the letter from the British embassy does not have to be translated.

From what I understand, the letter from the US embassy is just an affidavit whereas the British Embassy requires evidence of your income which is re-iterated in the issued letter.  As far as I know, immigration has never had a problem with UK income letters but I have heard of problems with the US letter.  Not sure about other nationalities.

Maybe that's it as the Canadian embassy will also accept an affidavit.

But the strange part is they seem to be only verifying the stamp/signature from the embassy.

As I said, it seems to make no sense at all since even that doesn't seem to be required everywhere.

It's Thailand, so they get to enforce their laws as they see fit. But if it is "Thai Immigration" you'd think there would be the same regulations everywhere and a website that could explain them.

On a previous discussion on the same topic Ubonjoe who is an expert on this, I believe, stated that nowhere is there a requirement for a stamp from Chaeng Wattana.

I don't mind adhering to the rules, I'd just like to know what the rules are.

On 8/8/2017 at 2:44 PM, blankagain said:

Thanks for that. I have to have two certified copies done 1) for Non O Visa  2) Retirement extension (not visa.. lol)  All this paper work had to be also signed by a JP in Australia, that being...police report, medical certificate, income statement. In saying that, the JP was very amused. I made the error of NOT getting the Retirement extension in Canberra as both the Retirement and Non O came with multiple entries which I didn't require.  beggars belief.

I'd stay away from Canberra..

You can only do a Retirement Extension at an Immi Office within Thailand.

You apply to Canberra for an OA Retirement Visa which can last nearly 2 years, if used correctly, before you have to go to your local Immi office in Thailand for an Extension of stay.