Tourist visa bank account

Hello Thaivisa,

I am asking for recommendations for opening a bank account on a tourist visa. I am a single father of 2 children and I plan on getting a non O visa based on my children being half Thai and I am their sole legal gardian.

My problem is that they require 400k in a Thai bank account and it seems every bank I go into required a work permit to open an account.

I realize that every branch sets it's own rules. Does anyone have any RECENT experience in opening an account on a tourist visa.

Thanks

• Like 1

we hear on and off about bank accounts tied to work permits; how foolish, sure might be laziness on the bank's part; logically tho, i have been retired for a long time, what does that have to do with a work permit 'required' to open a bank account ?!

• Like 1

Not sure where you applying for a visa at. You could get a single entry non-o in Laos with no financial proof.

With many banks it makes a difference if you have some firm proof of address to show. If the immigration office where you are located will do a certificate of residency  that would help with opening an account.

Bangkok Bank requirement are here. http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/default.aspx

• Like 1

Despite what is said most banks will simply say no without a long stay visa - yes, they say they will do it on their website, but they'll still say no because it's all too hard for them.

The way to get around it is to take a thai person with you, they sign a sort of guarantor form, then it's all settled. Works perfectly with Bangkok Bank. 

I opened an account with Kasikorn in Pattaya whilst here on a 60 day tourist visa. Was only asked to show my passport with the visa. Was Given an ATM card immediately (510 baht per year). I still have and use that account. I am here permanently now on a family visa but have never had a problem with Kasikorn bank.

• Like 1

From a recent post, by Tanoshi,  on another thread.

"Yes you can. Just look through the banks websites for the conditions.

As an example;

.http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Account.aspx
Even if you are in Thailand for only a short visit, you can open a savings account and get a debit card, which are convenient and cost-effective ways to manage your everyday finances.

A Bangkok Bank savings account is the first step to accessing our products and services. Savings accounts are passbook-based and you can also apply for a Be1st Debit card, which can be used at ATMs and to make purchases.

Tourists include the following visa types: Tourist, Transit, Visa on Arrival, Exemption Visa, Non-Immigrant MT
and S."

Just now, Idiotabroad said:

Thanks for all the replys.

I am in Bangkok and I appreciate all your suggestions.

Bank of Ayudhya  near Asoke (BKK) whilst on a 30 day Tourist Visa about 2 months ago ....

Took 15 mins, walked out with bank book and ATM card. . . .

looks like that's worth a shot, next to BTS and MRT too

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

Bank of Ayudhya  near Asoke (BKK) whilst on a 30 day Tourist Visa about 2 months ago ....

Took 15 mins, walked out with bank book and ATM card. . . .

looks like that's worth a shot, next to BTS and MRT too

I'll be there Monday morning

Thanks a lot

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, from the end of January to the beginning of Mars 2017. I'm back home now.

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

Thai Bank account:

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

post-140158-0-35528100-1488742938_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font, Forum Netiquette 1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Despite what is said most banks will simply say no without a long stay visa - yes, they say they will do it on their website, but they'll still say no because it's all too hard for them.

The way to get around it is to take a thai person with you, they sign a sort of guarantor form, then it's all settled. Works perfectly with Bangkok Bank. 

I walked into Kasikorn bank at Lake Ratchada Office Tower last month and opened an account with only a tourist visa and 300 baht.  

Didn't have to show anything except my passport.

All very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hearing some banks in the tourists areas like Nana are now opening bank accounts for tourists to boost their financial numbers.

No doubt with all the loss of jobs, less tourists traveling, less money spent, and low interest rates for so long makes for less bank savers and less cash flow for banks. 

The northern flood problems create more cash flow problems for farmers, business people and banks.

All banks worldwide need more liquidity now.

silom branch (2nd floor) of bangkok bank will open

passbook savings on tourist visa if you have something

official from your embassy showing your address in

thailand.  (opened account in february, linked to my

us account, can send cash via ETF online)

huamak branch told me today [with ink still wet on my

brand spanking new, 3-hour old 0-visa] (or tourist visa)

they would open another account with a notarized

statement from my embassy certifying that my passport

was indeed my passport.

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Idiotabroad said:

Thanks for all the replys.

I am in Bangkok and I appreciate all your suggestions.

Go to Prong Pong BTS station, there is  Bangkok Bank and SCB Bank there - I opened an account in Bangkok Bank on a visa exempt stamp in my passport a couple months ago, I was staying in  hotel, they just called the hotel and asked if I was registered there.............in and out in 30 mins.  Already have an SCB account, only opened the Bangkok Bank cause they have a branch in New York, and I can have my check deposited there, and draw on it here with no charge.  The reason I sy go to Prong Pong s they are used to dealing with foreigners and all speak English.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

plan accordingly......if you move your 800K (or 400K in

this case) and let it sit....

and then if you intend to do your update and get the two

guarantee letters at bangkok bank at immigration, their

accessible records only go back 90 days.

if your transfer in was more than 90 days prior, they

can give you the guarantee letter with account balance,

but you will have to pay a visit to the branch hosting

your account in order to get the guarantee letter

confirming funds from foreign source.

About 15 years ago (on 30 day visa exempt stamp) went to SCB as first choice. Shot me down pronto...no work permit. Went to Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit near Nana and opened account, no problem. Long time ago, so things have probably changed...and not for the better. :coffee1:

12 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Go to Prong Pong BTS station, there is  Bangkok Bank and SCB Bank there - I opened an account in Bangkok Bank on a visa exempt stamp in my passport a couple months ago, I was staying in  hotel, they just called the hotel and asked if I was registered there.............in and out in 30 mins.  Already have an SCB account, only opened the Bangkok Bank cause they have a branch in New York, and I can have my check deposited there, and draw on it here with no charge.  The reason I sy go to Prong Pong s they are used to dealing with foreigners and all speak English.

May inquire as to how you managed an SCB account on visa exempt entry? Asking because...well see my post above. Thx! :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, seancbk said:

I walked into Kasikorn bank at Lake Ratchada Office Tower last month and opened an account with only a tourist visa and 300 baht.  

Didn't have to show anything except my passport.

All very helpful.

Just because you did it doesn't mean that everyone else will be successful - reality is most, not all Thai banks will say no.

I do like the sort of person though who thinks "well I did it so that means everyone else can" based on their own experience alone :)

Just because you did it doesn't mean that everyone else will be successful - reality is most, not all Thai banks will say no.

I do like the sort of person though who thinks "well I did it so that means everyone else can" based on their own experience alone :)

The OP was asking for people's recent experience and he gave his. He wasn't saying "he got it so everyone can "
For the record I did too at Kasikorn like it appears many others have on a tourist visa.
Maybe we all had the right attitude when we asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

May inquire as to how you managed an SCB account on visa exempt entry? Asking because...well see my post above. Thx! :thumbsup:

Walked in with cash deposit, told them I needed a bank account to transfer money in to buy a Condo, when they asked me for my address I said I was staying in a hotel, waiting for the condo to be ready. 

(on advice from a friend)   They made a phone call to the hotel, made copies of my passport, visa exempt stamp, hotel faxed them my particulars and in about 30 minutes, made my deposit and viola, they  issued a bank visa debit card as well.  I have since deposited quite a bit into that account.

Bangkok bank was even easier, just showed them my paperwork for Social Security annuity, told them I needed to direct deposit my check into the New York branch to show my income, took about an hour.

They gave me the account information and swift to the new York branch and Bob's your Uncle.  Again on Visa Exempt stamp.  I did both of these near the Prong Pong BTS near Emporium.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

I don't understand people who keep spreading negativity about life in Bangkok.    

It has been well documented on these forums that if you go to certain branches of certain banks they will have no issue opening a bank account for you on a tourist visa.  

My advice would be don't go to banks in shopping malls, don't go to banks on the outskirts of Bangkok, instead try ones in the farang heavy business areas or tourist areas.  Any bank branch that already has a high percentage of farang customers is more likely to say yes.

• Like 1

Even on a annual visa extension, it isn't easy. I wanted a new account and it took me 5 attempts - even the last one i had to explain all the problems along the way. I was asked for work permit twice. Only accepted option, and that was with wife in tow and a bank employee who could vouch for me! next 2 asked for work permit or yellow book. No yellow book (Amphoe want to much money). Last one also asked for yellow book, explained i had lived there for 7 years, had marriage visa extension, but no yellow book due to aAmphoe corruption. After another 5 minutes of umming and ahhing, accepted my Thai driving licence as proof of address. 

So it can be done, but not easy. As said, Bangkok bank or Kasikorn are best bets.

• Like 2

So my first stop was at the Kasikorn in the Lake Rachada office complex.

They initially asked for a work permit, which I don't have, so I explained my visa situation. They informed my it was impossible to open a bank account at their branch without a work permit. I told them that a close friend of mine opened an account a month or so ago without a work permit and recommended my to this branch but they again told me that was impossible.

So I walked to the next building over and into the Krungsri bank.

They opened the bank account with just my passport and rental agreement to my house.

Didn't even look at the Visa.

Was a very fast and easy experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Idiotabroad said:

So my first stop was at the Kasikorn in the Lake Rachada office complex.

They initially asked for a work permit, which I don't have, so I explained my visa situation. They informed my it was impossible to open a bank account at their branch without a work permit. I told them that a close friend of mine opened an account a month or so ago without a work permit and recommended my to this branch but they again told me that was impossible.

So I walked to the next building over and into the Krungsri bank.

They opened the bank account with just my passport and rental agreement to my house.

Didn't even look at the Visa.

Was a very fast and easy experience.

Weird that they wouldn't let you open an account.  The day I was in there, there was another well dressed Farang in his perhaps early 50's also opening a new account.   

Anyway, your experience with Krungsri was the same as mine at the Kbank where you were denied, but at least you've been able to get yourself an account.

• Like 1

Just now, seancbk said:

Weird that they wouldn't let you open an account.  The day I was in there, there was another well dressed Farang in his perhaps early 50's also opening a new account.   

Anyway, your experience with Krungsri was the same as mine at the Kbank where you were denied, but at least you've been able to get yourself an account.

bottom floor at abdulrahim is a no at scb but a yes at Bangkok bank, need proof of residency though. nice guy at bkk bank. will help

• Like 1