PM Prayut orders strict regulation on alcohol ban near schools

webfact

23 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Brave man!!!!! Or doesn't live here and  does not expect to visit any time soon. Like many on this forum.

I'm just about sick of the 'any sort of compromise will do' attitude that seems to be creeping into recent NCPO news briefings. Remember the proposed ban on people riding in the back of pick-ups, that was - and this is the most compromising (= laughable) aspect of this supposedly life-saving initiative - put on hold for the week of Songkran drunkenness, when the idea seems to be that the more folk - hick - you stuff in the back  - hick - the better your chances - hick - of stayin' on the  . . . on the - heffin - road . . . and the same to you, too, mate!

A newly assigned, very strict-looking female officer, was 'supposed to be overseeing the enforcement' of this new law, as well as those to do with illegal parking (why included in this life-saving initiative beats me) and all van seats to be belted (yes, that made good sense).

Post-Songkran, have many people - any people, in fact - taken a blind bit of notice re the ban on cramming people into pickup posteriors or, for that matter, have the police even made a start on attempting to enforce this ban? Most doubtful, but the initial soundbite that resulted in much nothingness probably put the smuggest of smiles on the top dogs' faces. Ughhh . . . I'm sick of it and even more-so the prospect of that ego-maniac gaining permanent PM-ship and hence my blowin' my top. But I'm about ready for a spell back in Blighty . . . much better beer, espec up norf! :smile:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of the comments I've heard about this guy from Thais it is just a matter of time they get sick of him?

As noted he brought this stuff up over a year ago, last time I read officials in Pattaya had no idea how to enforce or even know what the rules are? 

Lack of enforcement in Pattaya is so bad selling liquor is all over the place excluding 7/11 or major stores.

I just came back from Sukhothai, was in line at Big C, with a full cart of liquor in the cashier line when a attendant came up to me and said no liquor during these hours, I ask him why wasn't the liquor area rope off?  He just shrugged his head,left, got in the truck drove downtown to the local market area and loaded up without a problem. 

The problem are not the kids nor the 7/11s near schools. 

The problem lies with the corrupt police who, instead of locking up boozing Somchai, gives him the brown envelope alternative. Same with Buddhist holidays = no booze. All other Buddhist countries (Laos, Cambodia and Burma) sell booze 24/7 - and have less problems then in absolutely over regulated Thailand. 

Here nobody cares - honestly! 

10 hours ago, DavidHenryPilkington said:

I'm just about sick of the 'any sort of compromise will do' attitude that seems to be creeping into recent NCPO news briefings. Remember the proposed ban on people riding in the back of pick-ups, that was - and this is the most compromising (= laughable) aspect of this supposedly life-saving initiative - put on hold for the week of Songkran drunkenness, when the idea seems to be that the more folk - hick - you stuff in the back  - hick - the better your chances - hick - of stayin' on the  . . . on the - heffin - road . . . and the same to you, too, mate!

A newly assigned, very strict-looking female officer, was 'supposed to be overseeing the enforcement' of this new law, as well as those to do with illegal parking (why included in this life-saving initiative beats me) and all van seats to be belted (yes, that made good sense).

Post-Songkran, have many people - any people, in fact - taken a blind bit of notice re the ban on cramming people into pickup posteriors or, for that matter, have the police even made a start on attempting to enforce this ban? Most doubtful, but the initial soundbite that resulted in much nothingness probably put the smuggest of smiles on the top dogs' faces. Ughhh . . . I'm sick of it and even more-so the prospect of that ego-maniac gaining permanent PM-ship and hence my blowin' my top. But I'm about ready for a spell back in Blighty . . . much better beer, espec up norf! :smile:

Dave you gotta chill a bit Man .. Yea the place wears you down but don't let it pull you down also .. Dont be rushing back to UK its not all lovely jubbly over there .. 

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Dave you gotta chill a bit Man .. Yea the place wears you down but don't let it pull you down also .. Dont be rushing back to UK its not all lovely jubbly over there .. 

"the place wears you down but don't let it pull you down also"  What do you mean?  Wears you down? Pulls you down to where?  I don't understand.  

9 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Much better idea is for the schools to order a ban on the PM within a 100k of them.

The Greeks have figured it out simply ban Brits to improve things. A GREEK island has banned 10,000 British holiday makers in a bid to crack down on boozy behaviour by tourists and instead attract families to the area.  Greek island bans 10,000 boozy Brits for destroying its reputation.   http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/834103/Crete-Malia-bans-uk-tourists-Greece-bad-behaviour

On 07/08/2017 at 7:44 AM, SABloke said:

Not this crap again :saai: Originally, it was within a 300m radius, but then they changed the law to be more in line with modern Thai police enforcement and made it "near" educational institutions.

So let me pretend I'm trying to enforce this law. Now, clearly 300m is way too far and not practical in such a built up city as Bangkok, so I'll be generous and make my radius around education institutions a mere 50m - let's see who needs to be fined?

Well, i came across Mode Sathorn and the Mandarin Oriental immediately. (That's, because they're major landmarks and show up first on the map.) Now, I'll give up my search, because I'm sure I'd probably find 100's of 7/11s, Hotels and Bars within my 50m radius (and that's just downtown BKK :coffee1:

Tawandaeng at the intersection of Narathiwas and Rama 3 road. Plus two 7-11s, one Lawson 108 and one MaxValue (plus a very, very nice and decent neighbourhood pub) all situated within shouting distance of two schools - one government school and one international school, on my soi.

On 07/08/2017 at 9:21 AM, scorecard said:

Anything for a negative comment. You need to think a little more broadly about community values.

I disagree. Let's say for argument sake some one starts a wine business and spends several years building it up and then someone builds a school near you. Your business that you have worked hard on then has to close. Sorry I don't think it's a negative comment but a fair assessment. If you had a business and were shut down by this law would you think differently