Young Thai Big Bikers, Mentally Retarded?

EL159

Yesterday, Sunday, I witnessed by far the scariest thing I have ever seen on Thai roads, and I ve been here 12 years and I ve seen some stuff. I live at Moo Bahn Sansaran, Nongkwai, the start of the "Samoeng Loop" road.  As you will all know, the Samoeng road is a fairly narrow two way road, with turns on and off the road every few metres, with shops, restaurants, bars, villages, hotels, resorts, etc etc etc. On a daily basis people constantly turning on and off the road at very regular intervals, people just going about their daily business, including me.

At about 2pm I had to pop down to the 7/11 just past the traffic lights as you start up the Samoeng Road, and in the little parking area outside the 7/11, there must have been about 20 or so "big bikes", all youngish Thai riders in their leathers etc. There was obviously some kind of "meeting/ day out" taking place. Suddenly, as I stood in front of the 7/11, I heard a noise I have only heard before when attending motor racing tracks, the huge roar of big bikes going at Formula 1 type speeds, and as I stood there, astonished, four bikes flew past the 7/11 and up the Samoeng Road travelling at, I kid you not, well in excess of 100 MPH. As they went by, you didnt see them as such, they went by in a blur.

Now, bear in mind this is an extremely busy domestic road. My Moo Bahn entrance is about 700 metres past the 7/11. Had I pulled out onto the road at exactly the same time as these people, they would, at those speeds have been on top of me in less than 10 seconds! Before anyone thinks I m exaggerating, I promise you I m not. At the speeds these bikes were travelling, on the road they were using, I simply find it hard to believe that some accident catastrophe wouldnt have taken place soon after what I saw.

I know this "big bike" thing has recently become fashionable for youngish ( affluent?) Thais.....just another way to kill yourself, I guess.....but is it now happening all around Chiang Mai?  This was just mental. And by the way, yes, they could have been part of the "foreigner biker fraternity", but I genuinely dont think they were. I know quite a number of those guys, and simply dont believe that they would take the kind of "death wish risk" that these idiots were taking yesterday. Of course, it goes without saying, no cops anywhere to be seen.

Edited by EL159

Really not restricted to Young Thai men/boys. The difference is that culturally here no responsible adult is going to tell them what asses they are. I have seen my old school students pile  onto bikes going the wrong way on a major highway when leaving school to avoid traffic and Thai school staff standing right there in front of the school don't bat an eye. That is the problem.

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Anyone with knowledge of people with learning, cognitive, or intellectual difficulty would find your topic title Offensive.

These days, there is always someone that will be offended... Sign of the times !! 

Retarded...  slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development :

Its descriptive, end of story...

Edited by cornishcarlos

As Ive said in another forum, it appears there is very little in the way of driver education here.  At it appears the BiB dont give a rats arse as to enforcing the rules.  If there is no revenue to be made then why bother seems to be the prevalent mind set.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the BiB are covertly collecting information on all these types of activities.  A big crackdown is only days away!  I would think any planning in this regard is likely to be a big 'crackup"

I agree there are some idiots on them thar roads....and all we can do is try and avoid them as best we can.

Perhaps if the men in top positins were to engage the help of some Western police enforcement officers, then they may learn how to do their job properly?  Nah dont be stupid.... we dont like a nanny state and hell afterall this is our country.  We know how to run it.

OK sarcasm over...

Be safe out their guys (And guyesses)

It is well known that

1. Thais frequently and flagrantly disobey traffic laws

2. Thailand has a very high death and serious injury rate from traffic accidents

3. Enforcement of traffic laws is pitiful, particularly moving offences as these are more "tedious" to enforce.

4. Driver training is almost completely absent. Most riders learn by copying their older relatives and mates.

Scale up these facts from a Honda Wave to a CBR 650F or bigger and you get exactly the same traits and driving behaviour except with much more HP, acceleration and speed.

Take a video. Post it on Facebook. This is how to get action from the authorities these days.

To be more realistic;

Young Thai [  replace with near any nationality in the world ] Big Bikers, Mentally Retarded?

PS   And add to your original with young and older foreigners in Thailand doing the same thing as the young Thais.

Edited by happyas

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

These days, there is always someone that will be offended... Sign of the times !! 

Retarded...  slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development :

Its descriptive, end of story...

Retarded is not the correct word to use. Selfish, ignorant, stupid even, but many non retarded people behave in the way you have described.

I have seen many ignorant etc young farangs behaving in the same way on big bikes in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, sharktooth said:

If you'd had to pull out onto the main road wouldn't you have to "give way" anyway? 

Sigh......are you just being provocative or deliberately obtuse?  Let me spell it out ( again). When you come onto the Samoeng Road from my Moo Bahn, you can see about  150 metres in both directions due to bends in the road. If some idiot is driving a big bike at 100 miles an hour he will be on top of you in less than 10 seconds.  OK? Got it now?

9 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Sigh......are you just being provocative or deliberately obtuse?  Let me spell it out ( again). When you come onto the Samoeng Road from my Moo Bahn, you can see about  150 metres in both directions due to bends in the road. If some idiot is driving a big bike at 100 miles an hour he will be on top of you in less than 10 seconds.  OK? Got it now?

Actually, at 100 mph, one would cover 447.333 meters in 10 seconds.  Just sayin'

10 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It is well known that

1. Thais frequently and flagrantly disobey traffic laws

2. Thailand has a very high death and serious injury rate from traffic accidents

This is probably why other countries don't need traffic police/highway patrol, etc.

11 hours ago, tonray said:

Really not restricted to Young Thai men/boys. The difference is that culturally here no responsible adult is going to tell them what asses they are. I have seen my old school students pile  onto bikes going the wrong way on a major highway when leaving school to avoid traffic and Thai school staff standing right there in front of the school don't bat an eye. That is the problem.

Happens all the time back home, too.  Young, bulletproof kids feeling their oats at the same time their after school job throws off enough cash for a starter crotch rocket.  

It's not a cultural thing.  It's an enforcement thing.  The difference is that cops back home just love busting their balls (and I mean that in a good way- it saves lives).  And have the equipment, training and political will and backing to put a stop to it, regardless of who their fathers are.  The standard line when I was a kid at that age was that you can outrun the cops' Fords, but not their Motorolas.  (It was actually can't outrun their Philco's, but most folks wouldn't get the reference to Ford and Philco)

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Retarded is not the correct word to use. Selfish, ignorant, stupid even, but many non retarded people behave in the way you have described.

I have seen many ignorant etc young farangs behaving in the same way on big bikes in Pattaya.

I didn't describe people behaving in any way, that would be the OP

You've been here long enough to know that these 'young men' are conditioned from birth to believe they are 'special', 'indestructible', 'superior to other races' and 'can do no wrong'....to name a few misnomers.      You also know that they wear 'Amulets' which they are told will keep them safe and other stuff like warding off evil spirits, so what could possibly go wrong ?

My Wife's 18 yr old half Brother believed he was very special and was wearing two amulets when one drunken night at 2am he rode his Motorbike at high speed down 108 with no lights, no helmet and no hope....he hit the back of a road repair truck parked up for the night, also without lights and lost his head...literally.  The Police said he had more than three times the legal amount of alcohol in his system.  All his 'mates' came to the funeral but apparently learned nothing, as four more of them have died on bikes in the seven years since then.   You can't fix stupid.

11 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

As Ive said in another forum, it appears there is very little in the way of driver education here.  At it appears the BiB dont give a rats arse as to enforcing the rules.  If there is no revenue to be made then why bother seems to be the prevalent mind set.

Of course I could be completely wrong and the BiB are covertly collecting information on all these types of activities.  A big crackdown is only days away!  I would think any planning in this regard is likely to be a big 'crackup"

I agree there are some idiots on them thar roads....and all we can do is try and avoid them as best we can.

Perhaps if the men in top positins were to engage the help of some Western police enforcement officers, then they may learn how to do their job properly?  Nah dont be stupid.... we dont like a nanny state and hell afterall this is our country.  We know how to run it.

OK sarcasm over...

Be safe out their guys (And guyesses)

The problem is the Police generally do not know any better or flout those same laws themselves.

Young dudes are always irresponsible and reckless. I've always been too. But not to this extent. You are right. This is simply being retarded. And retarded people usually don't last long on big bikes. Let us enter a moment of silence. 

>>. Had I pulled out onto the road at exactly the same time as these people, they would, at those speeds have been on top of me in less than 10 seconds! <<

..and if my Uncle Pat hat been born Female ,he likely would have been called Patsy . 

Of course, young men on motorbikes the world over are a hazard in many situations. I have logged thousand of kilometers in Thailand both during mid youth and older and of course seen far too many chalk lines drawn around where a body once lay. However, when it comes to young Thais who are on their game, have incredible eye hand coordination. Going 100 kmph between cars coming and going with the bike mirrors mere inches from the oncoming car and the car they are passing. Most of us would say that is some dumb (foolish)....but, damn, also skillfully impressive.

Last winter I was stuck (on a scooter) in traffic alongside a Thai gang on Huey Kaeo on big bikes called the Necromancers. That is a big word also. Theses are big bikes with short legged people going slow. One tipped over against a car, than another, than another. Fortunately it did not matter which side they tipped over as there was a car on either side to keep them part way up. It was embarrassing. They ride with their faces covered, but posted a You Tube video partying with their masks off. Yep, still Thais.  

I used to do a run out with a group of Thai bikers, once a month in the cool season. First Sunday after pay day.

Say 20 bikes and ten pick ups/cars with wives and kids.

A couple of pick up trucks would be for the walking wounded and bent bikes, the day out usually generated one of two.

Boys and Bikes normally led to a spot of racing, just normal, sure I used to do so as a Yooff.

john

Where's the dash cam footage to post the lunatics online for the police to take action (or otherwise) and more importantly to protect your innocence in the event of an accident caused by others?

Surely you are not driving in Thailand (of all places) without a dash cam...or are you???

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

32 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

100mph = 160.934kph

So you are saying you estimated that they were going 160kph? They got that speed up from the traffic light to the 7-Eleven? 

You wouldn't be exaggerating a tad, would you? 

Depends on the bikes and the distance from the light to the 7/11- mine can approach 118mph (190kph) in an 1/8th mile, which is about 200 meters.

Edited by flare