Young Thai Big Bikers, Mentally Retarded?

EL159

On 8/7/2017 at 2:13 PM, EL159 said:

Sigh......are you just being provocative or deliberately obtuse?  Let me spell it out ( again). When you come onto the Samoeng Road from my Moo Bahn, you can see about  150 metres in both directions due to bends in the road. If some idiot is driving a big bike at 100 miles an hour he will be on top of you in less than 10 seconds.  OK? Got it now?

Where do you get your speed gun calibrated?

I have rode that loop many times, on all my bikes. Very few places you can build up speed to hit 100 mph. And if you do, immediate max brake application so you do not high side. IM not so HO mucho hogwash being declared here. By people with no experience with larger motorcycles.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I have rode that loop many times, on all my bikes. Very few places you can build up speed to hit 100 mph. And if you do, immediate max brake application so you do not high side. IM not so HO mucho hogwash being declared here. By people with no experience with larger motorcycles.

What is the meaning of this high side you speak of please?

Do you mean the high side of a road?

Thanks.

High-siding on a motorcycle is when the rear or both tires are sliding in a corner and suddenly grip. The resulting centrifugal force throws the motorcyclist off the "high" side of the motorcycle.

As regards youths on motorbikes. Think Ace Cafe in the 60's. 

Put the record on and do the loop and back to the cafe before the record stopped. No time for stopping at red lights! Also coined a term for a whole genre of bike design.

Edited by VocalNeal

Being temporarily located on a main road it has been a bit of an eye opener watching the bikes constantly scream by at thunderous decibels. I was young once too so I may not like it, but get it. My only observation would be the bike accident toll here is actually quite low when you look at how people drive/ride.

23 hours ago, johng said:

Maybe "high side" is when the rider is thrown over the bike while cornering,as opposed the "low side" where the bike falls onto the rider while cornering.

Now, after some research, i get it, and you are correct.

From what i see low side is more likely than highside in the situation ie loop rd.

Was just wondering why canthai55 stressed 'highside" rather than lowside.

On a tight (in sections) road like Samoeng, if you get into a turn too hot many riders tend to over-brake and lock up the rear (ABS and TC can help, but there's no 'cure' for being in a turn at too high a speed), causing a loss of traction and a slide- as the bike (or at least the tire) slows, the rear hooks back up, and the bike violently regains traction and tosses you off (I've experienced it- it's quite surreal being in the air looking down at your bike as it continues down the road without you on the way to the nearest curb or tree).  Basically, one second there's not enough traction, and the next second there's way too much.

High-speed and tight roads (combined with rider error) are the recipe for a high-side- canthai55 was correct in his assessment- there are some hairpins on Samoeng (which are combined with some of the worst pavement on the Loop) that are just evil and are built to hurt dummies.;)

One Mans observation .I find Big Bike Riders Good.AVG quality Helmets.fine Boots Leathers etc .Then theres the Rental Numpties, no Hat,Chang Vest, Flip Fiops,and acute Acne.2nd gear round Town. They aint Big Bikers just Big[emoji572]️?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Too many farangs in Thailand now wanting it to be just like old home. It is their country and the system works for them. Stop trying to change things, I didn't come here to wind up being at home with all of the rules and regulations. If the Thai system is too complicated for farangs coming to live here it would appear not the place for you. I personally do not want a cop on every bend in the road

Thanks moe666 for the (very) old "love it or leave it" message. 

Could there be something in between having "a cop on every bend in the road" on the one hand and 

having the world's second highest road fatality rate on the other?

Could the situation be improved?  Oh, sorry. I guess that's moaning. 

Because motorbike accidents and deaths are common here, people just accept it as a normal way to die, strange as that sounds. It comes to be seen as matter of luck, not behavior. It's more gratifying to try to control your luck, with amulets and rituals, than your behavior. Every day you drive recklessly and don't die indicates that luck prevails over behavior. Until one day, as the saying goes, luck runs out. Believing in luck is for people too dim or too selfish to believe in probability.

22 hours ago, amexpat said:

Thanks moe666 for the (very) old "love it or leave it" message. 

Could there be something in between having "a cop on every bend in the road" on the one hand and 

having the world's second highest road fatality rate on the other?

Could the situation be improved?  Oh, sorry. I guess that's moaning. 

It's called taking responsibility for oneself, instead of letting the nanny state dictate how often one can fart.

Yes it's moaning, which is what TVF is for.

I was involved in an accident caused by an idiot not looking where he was going, and it cost me several thousand baht in hospital bills and repair costs. I was happy that I didn't end up in a court case with lawyers fees and all the assorted BS. I didn't go all mental and start demanding "pigs" all over the place, destroying whatever enjoyment I get out of riding. I love that it's "up to me" and not a bunch of officious jerks fining me large amounts of money for 5kph over the limit like back in the nanny state, where it's impossible to enjoy driving anymore.

Yes, one day I might get killed on the road, but I was almost killed twice in one day back in the nanny state by maniacs, which goes to show that no amount of regulation will stop the morons, but it will penalize the law abiding.

19 hours ago, Puwa said:

Because motorbike accidents and deaths are common here, people just accept it as a normal way to die, strange as that sounds. It comes to be seen as matter of luck, not behavior. It's more gratifying to try to control your luck, with amulets and rituals, than your behavior. Every day you drive recklessly and don't die indicates that luck prevails over behavior. Until one day, as the saying goes, luck runs out. Believing in luck is for people too dim or too selfish to believe in probability.

Of course it's luck here if one survives on the roads. I always feels happy if I return unscathed. It's only luck that dictates the moron overtaking on a blind corner is able to avoid me, as I have no control over such.

Luck is nothing to do with amulets- that's about asking a higher power to intercede on our behalf, which is obviously foolish. However, zillions of people pray to "god" to save them every day. How does that work out?