Difference in going to Vientiene with Visa Run service vs. by yourself?

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

Thai Consulates do not stamp nonB visas with this remark.

No it hasn't. A passport does not hold travel data on its microchip. Only Immigration of a certain country has access to previous travel history into that country. Consulates do not have computers that scan passports to reveal previous travel history , they base their decisions of whether to issue a visa or not based on visual inspection.

the history of nonb visa is in my new passport on the very first page..this was done on my lat passport and again dating to 2005..nothing to do with chip technology but hard copy of what is in my expiring passport..but anyways i can see what is in my passport even if u disagree

1 hour ago, Evilbaz said:

IF it's an error.

It can only be corrected by the Immi office who did it.

Go back there and ask for The Boss.

i noticed it right after they handed me my passport...went back to the window..they took a look and just waved me away

20 minutes ago, eastvanman2 said:

the thing was the guy in front of me in the line up was a multiple entry tourist visa for many years..i think in the flurry of stamps and numbered passports my passport got it...when you say about applying for tourist visas at consulates do u mean thai visa..or visa for any country...the latter situation is my concern

I am not aware of that remark having meaning or effect, other than to Thai Consulates.  I can understand why you don't want it there, and want it gone, as it could be misinterpreted by some other country's over-zealous border-agent as having meaning.  I have yet to read a report of that happening, though.

14 minutes ago, eastvanman2 said:

i noticed it right after they handed me my passport...went back to the window..they took a look and just waved me away

Another theory on this, is that some Thai officials (MFA and/or Immigration) now see ANY longer-staying Farang as someone to blacklist from the ability to get Tourist Visas - even if their long-stay history is/was not based on tourism.  I would assume it was an error - but the fact they refused to fix it leads us somewhat away from that assumption.

Edited by JackThompson

Just now, lkv said:

@eastvanman2You said you have been on non B legally working or legally retired for the last 12 years. 

Note that non B is for working, non O is for retirement.

not exactly sure about that...i transitioned from working..to retirement..to working all just fine...and now to switching employer..my alarm or worry is that i have the 'remark' stamp on my new nonb page...about have many tourist visas and may not qualify for another visa..which they technically gave me when they gave me the new nonb for new job..i will ride this out with my new employer and the one year extension to see what happpens..if a problem i do have all old passport

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

I am not aware of that remark having meaning or effect, other than to Thai Consulates.  I can understand why you don't want it there, and want it gone, as it could be misinterpreted by some other country's over-zealous border-agent as having meaning.  I have yet to read a report of that happening, though.

Another theory on this, is that some Thai officials (MFA and/or Immigration) now see ANY longer-staying Farang as someone to blacklist from the ability to get Tourist Visas - even if their long-stay history is/was not based on tourism.  I would assume it was an error - but the fact they refused to fix it leads us somewhat away from that assumption.

thanks for your straight forward level headed input..we shall see how the one year extension goes and take it from there..appreciate your input very much

1 minute ago, eastvanman2 said:

not exactly sure about that...i transitioned from working..to retirement..to working all just fine...and now to switching employer..my alarm or worry is that i have the 'remark' stamp on my new nonb page...about have many tourist visas and may not qualify for another visa..which they technically gave me when they gave me the new nonb for new job..i will ride this out with my new employer and the one year extension to see what happpens..if a problem i do have all old passport

So if you transitioned from non B to non O and back to nonB, how come do you have a stamp on the first page of your new passport issued in 2015 with a transferred nonB dated 2005?

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

So if you transitioned from non B to non O and back to nonB, how come do you have a stamp on the first page of your new passport issued in 2015 with a transferred nonB dated 2005?

my assumption is that the visas didnt expire when my passport did and all relevant info was transferred to new passport to carry on with validity of visas from old passports..hmm??

1 minute ago, eastvanman2 said:

my assumption is that the visas didnt expire when my passport did and all relevant info was transferred to new passport to carry on with validity of visas from old passports..hmm??

To extend the nonB every year, you gotta keep working. 

Which suggests you have been working all the time since 2005.

Which contradicts your statement that

A. You have been legally retired on a non B

B. Transitioned from working to retirement to working.

I don't know if what I am saying makes sense does it? Maybe I am missing something.

Just now, lkv said:

I don't know if what I am saying makes sense does it? Maybe I am missing something.

forget it my friend

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

If you start with a "Non-" visa, you can change to another type of "Non-" extension of stay without obtaining a new visa (in some cases, at some offices, etc - given that inconsistency is the norm).  If I am guessing correctly, in this case, he ended employment, did not extend his stay with retirement, did a 7-day 'get out' extension, and had to start over with a new Non-B from a consulate to transition back to a 'work' based stay. 

12 minutes ago, eastvanman2 said:

I think you were on an extension of stay and that was transferred.

They would of done a stamp with info about the visa you used to the entry that you had been extending and info about your old passport.

Any visa you would of had in your passport would been expired for a long time.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you were on an extension of stay and that was transferred.

They would of done a stamp with info about the visa you used to the entry that you had been extending and info about your old passport.

Any visa you would of had in your passport would been expired for a long time.

i think ur right..

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If you start with a "Non-" visa, you can change to another type of "Non-" extension of stay without obtaining a new visa (in some cases, at some offices, etc - given that inconsistency is the norm).  If I am guessing correctly, in this case, he ended employment, did not extend his stay with retirement, did a 7-day 'get out' extension, and had to start over with a new Non-B from a consulate to transition back to a 'work' based stay. 

yes that is it

On 8/8/2017 at 5:19 PM, Essecola said:

It takes less than 30 seconds to get a tourist visa by yourself in Vientiane. Get some photos across the street. Photocopy your id page of passport and the Lao visa sticker and stamp. Sign them. Staple it all together. Fill out the free visa application form inside the covered area with chairs inside the consulate. Hand it all to the girl sitting at a table in the middle of the waiting area chairs/rows. Pick it up the next day when ur number is called. If you go with a visa run company you will stand around the embassy area much longer (both when applying and when fetching) than if you do it urself.

By your own comment you proved it takes more than 30 seconds. Overnight is much longer. But yes, it is a simple process to do yourself. When I used to need visa runs I prepared my paperwork in advance. Downloaded from immigration website typed neatly with a photo and make my own color copies of documents. 

I have used a visa run service, not sure if it was through thai visa or not a friend gave me a number. Met at tesco lotus at bts on nut. Told the driver I get car sick so he gave me front seat. There were several vans running from there. The driver we had drove quite safely. A bit slow to me. I had a private room at a nice hotel. And the free meals were good. The whole process was smooth. 

The second time I flew. Nok Air had a special fare from DMK to Udon Thani with bus to The border with a return, However it took a long time to receive my passport and I missed my return bus, but got a ride back to Udon Thani cheap (฿500 I think). I tried to book the same hotel, but they did not reply to any of my emails asking for a reservation. And the place I reserved through Air BnB fell through at last minute. So I stayed at the Don something or other hotel across and down the street from the consulate. Last minute no reservation $42 for a luxury room, and the best hot shower I had since arriving in SE Asia. I was happy with the visa run group and with the Nok Air run I think the airfare with bus was about ฿1100 plus the $84 for hotel was a bit costlier, (yes, I arrived too late to submit paperwork) so I think the minibus was cheaper and the group I was with all got along well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 5:19 PM, Essecola said:

It takes less than 30 seconds to get a tourist visa by yourself in Vientiane. Get some photos across the street. Photocopy your id page of passport and the Lao visa sticker and stamp. Sign them. Staple it all together. Fill out the free visa application form inside the covered area with chairs inside the consulate. Hand it all to the girl sitting at a table in the middle of the waiting area chairs/rows. Pick it up the next day when ur number is called. If you go with a visa run company you will stand around the embassy area much longer (both when applying and when fetching) than if you do it urself.

Don't tell people "30 seconds"

It can take hours when the line up is long to do the "30 seconds of work."

• Like 1

Back on topic. Having seen the way these mini bus drivers drive said vehicles i would touch them with a barge pole. If you have a car and can do it yourself that would be my advise. If not fly. Its not ricket science to get any type of visa or book a hotel room or cross the friendship bridge in your own car, or leave it thai side and get a taxi on other side. With A bit of prior planning its easy

Dont know how much these companies charge but i suspect it will be cheaper to do it yourself and SAFER.

• 2 weeks later...

I always do it myself. Last trip cost 460 B to get from my apt to Vientiane. Took a city bus to Mo Chit Bus terminal, walked up to the N.E. Bus dept  around 6 pm, where I was guided to the next available bus to Udon Thani. Next morning in Udon, arrived between times for the International Buses to Vientiane, so I took a minivan to the bridge. Walked through Thai immigration. Took a 20 baht bus across the bridge. Got my Laos visa, walked through to the where the Vientiane City bus was waiting and it dropped me by the market in Vientiane and I walked around town til I found a guest house I liked. It was the weekend, so I didn't go immediately to the Thai embassy... and if I remember right, I probably would have been pressed to get there by 11am, but taking a tuk tuk from the border or managing bus times/etc would alleviate that.

It's not a difficult process. I do about the same thing to go to Savannakhet by way of Mukdahan.

I have come to appreciate the services outside the embassy that type up the form for you for a 30-60 baht... I can't stand trying to figure out what goes on every line... they can do it in a minute what it takes me 5 to do and theirs is more legible.

Usually, I spend  my 30 days in Laos. If I were on a schedule, I might consider a visa run service.