Xarelto

dddave

A friend was recently hospitalized 5 days for a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) episode in his leg. Fortunately, the clot did not travel.  He had a similar episode 4 years ago and was put on Warafin but his Doctor at Sukhumvit Hosp. has now changed that to Xarelto/20mg.  It's a pretty expensive drug at B4500/30 days supply at the cheapest pharmacy I know which is in Klong Tan.

Googling didn't reveal any Thai equivalents.  Does anybody know of any Indian or other generic replacements?

5 hours ago, RowdyAlpha said:

It's not much help but why can't you just ask the dr it's too expensive are there any cheaper options.

Fair question: As I stated, this was in relation to a friend so I was not a party to the discussions with his physician but I think it is not unusual for hospital doctors not to be totally aware of what is available on the outside market,  normally relying on their own hospital's pharmacy inventory. Such hospital pharmacy's tend to only stock brand name, high profit medications.

Edited by dddave

It is quite usual for doctors -- especially in private hospitals -- to prescribe the very newest, still on patent drug.

Warfarin is equally effective and dirt cheap, with many local generic forms. However if on it,  you must have regular blood tests (or do them yourself - can get the kits). It will still be much cheaper,  even including the blood tests (which are not expensive), but not as convenient to take.

has your friend asked the doctor about a vena cava minor filter.

it helps prevent clots passing to the lungs and heart.

when i had my dvt in 2005 they did the filter on me.

in 2010 i had to have knee replacements and doctor told me he would do it if i did not have the filter.

i am on warfarin at home test weekly.