Farang Fiancé: Course teaches Thai women married to foreigners what to expect abroad

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/8/2017 at 2:09 PM, RandolphGB said:

Go back to Farangland expecting to be a princess

End up living in a dump with the socially inadequate man who had to go to Thailand for a wife

Scrimp and save and get a job at the local Thai tug shop or Thai restaurant

Meet other Thai girls and go out partying once or twice a month

Get bulled senseless by some local young farangs 

Eventually become bored of your marriage to old man Gary in Coventry 

.... and here's what the course is really teaching: Get a decent divorce settlement and return to Thailand with enough cash for a piece of land and to take care of the family

I think that is sadly quite common.  But what has changed is the profile of Thai women marrying farangs and going to live in the West.  The first wave were bar girls who married US servicemen during the VN war and I met a few of them divorced and working in bars and strip joints when I was in Hawaii in the early 80s. The second wave were bar girls and masseuses who married mainly European tourists and went to live in Europe where they were disadvantaged by their lack of education and inability to learn European languages to more than a pijin level (the equivalent of the average farangs' broken Thai).  The current wave are university educated women from lower middle to middle class Thai families, disappointed by Thai boyfriends, computer savvy with better English and ability to learn other languages and skills who look for a farang husband online as a route to a better life for themselves and their families.

I know a few of these who studied with Mrs Dog.  One in particular married a Northern European man she met online but was quickly disappointed when she discovered the reality of his low paid existence, scrimping and saving all year for his annual trip to Thailand where he could behave like a big shot.   She got a job in a massage parlour and quickly started earning more than her husband.   Soon she learned the local language to a working knowledge level and used her savings from her job to open her own parlour which she is now expanding with new branches.  Meanwhile, she dated several local men and continued her online romances with others.  She is now getting divorced from the guy, who turned out to be just a stepping stone to her new life, and planning to marry a well paid professional in her adopted country.  She is taking care to keep her finances separate to avoid having to pay a large divorce settlement to her impoverished husband, who is now seeking a new Thai partner in the hope of a better outcome, which is sadly unlikely.

Edited by Dogmatix

On 8/9/2017 at 6:11 PM, JonBreadMan said:

Some Thai girls do not look at how life outside of Thailand is, and as always look at the money side first, I was talking to 2 Thai girls, and they told me with big smiles, and a look of I know best, English man is more rich than American man, that is why I want a English man. Being a English man my self, I was thinking it was tell him what he wants to hear, so I asked why, we not daft, English get 50 Bhat to the pound, American only get 35 (less anyway not sure of true rate) so English man has more money.    Thai logic at is's best.

Why do you only associate with stupid Thai women?  Don't you think it reflects on you?  Hint:  It does. 

On 10/08/2017 at 11:35 AM, Dogmatix said:

I think that is sadly quite common.  But what has changed is the profile of Thai women marrying farangs and going to live in the West.  The first wave were bar girls who married US servicemen during the VN war and I met a few of them divorced and working in bars and strip joints when I was in Hawaii in the early 80s. The second wave were bar girls and masseuses who married mainly European tourists and went to live in Europe where they were disadvantaged by their lack of education and inability to learn European languages to more than a pijin level (the equivalent of the average farangs' broken Thai).  The current wave are university educated women from lower middle to middle class Thai families, disappointed by Thai boyfriends, computer savvy with better English and ability to learn other languages and skills who look for a farang husband online as a route to a better life for themselves and their families.

I know a few of these who studied with Mrs Dog.  One in particular married a Northern European man she met online but was quickly disappointed when she discovered the reality of his low paid existence, scrimping and saving all year for his annual trip to Thailand where he could behave like a big shot.   She got a job in a massage parlour and quickly started earning more than her husband.   Soon she learned the local language to a working knowledge level and used her savings from her job to open her own parlour which she is now expanding with new branches.  Meanwhile, she dated several local men and continued her online romances with others.  She is now getting divorced from the guy, who turned out to be just a stepping stone to her new life, and planning to marry a well paid professional in her adopted country.  She is taking care to keep her finances separate to avoid having to pay a large divorce settlement to her impoverished husband, who is now seeking a new Thai partner in the hope of a better outcome, which is sadly unlikely.

What you say is sad but true in many cases. It happened to a mate of mine.

When I first came here in the 80s I was pretty well off and spent the budgeted  money for a three week holiday twice a year. I had a good time, but I wasn't constantly at the gold shop.

I did however take a girlfriend to the UK in 2000 (I had lived and worked in Thailand for 10 years by then) for a long holiday, but she soon got bored and missed her family. I was itching to get back too so we returned after about six months.

Internet dating is just a nonsense, the same as the old postal dating agencies that came before. Nobody tells the truth.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

I think there should be a thread titled: Farlang men should be cautious when marrying Thai women and taking them back to their countries.

An English friend while on holiday in Thailand, met a Thai woman in Chiang Mai who worked as a hotel receptionist. She came from an upper level working class family, seemed decent and well turned out. My friend already had his own house in England and had a decent high paying career. To cut a long story short, he fell in love, married the woman in Thailand and later took her back to the UK as his wife.

She fell pregnant with his child within the first year of living in the UK. Her desire for a light skinned child was fulfilled. Once she had the baby and about 8 months later she began having an affair with one of the customers at a shop where she worked. 3 months later she filed for divorce. It concluded with her gaining custody of the child, my friend being evicted by the court from his house because she had the kid and my friend having to pay for his child and the upkeep of the house. This is not the first time I have heard of this. Once these Thai women gain footholds in the west via marriage to a Farlang, they meet other Thai women who soon instruct them how to use the system.

Beware.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

I think there should be a thread titled: Farlang men should be cautious when marrying Thai women and taking them back to their countries.

An English friend while on holiday in Thailand, met a Thai woman in Chiang Mai who worked as a hotel receptionist. She came from an upper level working class family, seemed decent and well turned out. My friend already had his own house in England and had a decent high paying career. To cut a long story short, he fell in love, married the woman in Thailand and later took her back to the UK as his wife.

She fell pregnant with his child within the first year of living in the UK. Her desire for a light skinned child was fulfilled. Once she had the baby and about 8 months later she began having an affair with one of the customers at a shop where she worked. 3 months later she filed for divorce. It concluded with her gaining custody of the child, my friend being evicted by the court from his house because she had the kid and my friend having to pay for his child and the upkeep of the house. This is not the first time I have heard of this. Once these Thai women gain footholds in the west via marriage to a Farlang, they meet other Thai women who soon instruct them how to use the system.

Beware.

Good post. I wonder if that scenario is part of the course???

:giggle:

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Beware.

The Eastern Europeans are worse.  The agent who looked after my flat in the UK told me he married a Ukrainian he met online, having previously had a failed marriage with a Romanian dancer  (stripper) he met in a sleazy night club on holiday in Cyprus.  He had a kid with the Ukrainian but it was a pretty rocky marriage and she was allegedly too lazy to even look after the kid (brought her dreadful mother over to that) or look for a job.  After a couple of years he noticed that she was getting up much earlier than usual, claiming that she wanted to make his breakfast for him, which made him very suspicious.  She became very interested in the arrival of the mail and when he quizzed her about that, she claimed she was waiting for letters from her family, although he had never seen her write or receive a personal letter.  Finally he gets home one evening and finds everything gone: wife, baby, dreadful mother-in-law, clothes and just about anything of value that could be moved.  Turned out she had everything arranged for the great escape and was just waiting for her Indefinite Leave to Remain papers to come through.  

He never saw her or his daughter again but only heard from his wife through lawyers regarding their divorce.  He made his living from renting out 20 or so flats of his own in London, as well as managing properties for people like myself.  He decided not to wait for a court order to divide his hard earned assets with the Ukrainian but put all his flats on the market immediately.  He sold all of them and remitted the proceeds offshore.  Then he made his own great escape to Estonia where I last heard from him shacked up with a new blond East European lovely but hopefully he was more cautious after that.   The Ukrainian's dream of living happily ever after in London on the rent from half of his flats was was dashed  and she must have had to desperately look for a new sucker or get a job as a char lady or something.     

Edited by Dogmatix

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

This seems to illustrate the problem very well. The woman obviously had no idea that she was marrying someone of very low socio-economic status in his country who would be unable to provide her with a nice comfortable life or give her money for the all important remittances expected by the family back in the impoverished village.  She must be bored to tears having to live in a scruffy little house in a grim neighbourhood and do a dreadful, unskilled job as well as cook and clean for him without her Thai family and friends, Thai TV or access to cheap Thai street food. 

He didn't understand that he could take the girl out of the bar but would never be able to take the bar out of the girl.  He must have also believed that a woman like that could actually fall in love with him, boorish and unattractive though he is, and failed to understand that he was just the least unattractive route available to what she naively imagined was going to be a much better life for her and her family.   He would have been much happier and better off financially, if he had accepted reality and just blown his wad once a year on a nice holiday in Pattaya without attempting to bring some of it back home with him.  Like the Ouzo I brought back from a happy holiday in Greece, it never tastes the same at home and eventually has to be thrown out.      

All very sad.

Edited by Dogmatix

On 8/10/2017 at 2:12 PM, Berkshire said:

Why do you only associate with stupid Thai women?  Don't you think it reflects on you?  Hint:  It does. 

So all the very clearer Thai woman I associate with (and I know a lot) makes me less stupid?

Nothing more than an amusing story about how some Thai's think, could tell you 100's about English but this is not a English forum :)

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, RandolphGB said:

Go back to Farangland expecting to be a princess

End up living in a dump with the socially inadequate man who had to go to Thailand for a wife

Scrimp and save and get a job at the local Thai tug shop or Thai restaurant

Meet other Thai girls and go out partying once or twice a month

Get bulled senseless by some local young farangs 

Eventually become bored of your marriage to old man Gary in Coventry 

.... and here's what the course is really teaching: Get a decent divorce settlement and return to Thailand with enough cash for a piece of land and to take care of the family

I think that is a bit of a cynical view but none the less I hope the course also explains that they will not be expected to sit on their back sides all day in the house.  They will be expected to conform to traditional married life and that will entail, cleaning the house ( a complete mystery to any Thai),   cooking for the family ( well they may have done that before) and washing and ironing ( another mystery as Thais think that should be done by the surfs.