Savage attack on foreigner in Krabi holiday zone - attacked by four men as he lay helpless on the ground

Jonathan Fairfield

43 minutes ago, bheard said:

There's a lot of rubbish here about fighting fair or not etc. Thai culture is not the same as farang culture. You want to live here then accept that "fair" in farang is not "fair" in Thai. It's different!
And talking of "fair". What will those people talking "fair" be saying the about the US (pop 325m) in relation to a fight with N.Korea (pop 24m)? (Not that I support that idiot, he should be exterminated).

Please explain which idiot you are referring to!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, bheard said:

There's a lot of rubbish here about fighting fair or not etc. Thai culture is not the same as farang culture. You want to live here then accept that "fair" in farang is not "fair" in Thai. It's different!
And talking of "fair". What will those people talking "fair" be saying the about the US (pop 325m) in relation to a fight with N.Korea (pop 24m)? (Not that I support that idiot, he should be exterminated).

Not about fair. It's about not murdering old men. Race hate crime. 

Edited by Iamtoofat
Stulid

2 hours ago, bheard said:

In that case, in the extremely unfortunate event that you get stomped while unconscious on the ground, unable to muster any defence, you will come back here to tell us : "it's ok, just a cultural difference, I'll be out of hospital in 3 months". Very forgiving of you.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, carmine said:

Aside of the customary cowardice its just another example in mounting examples of whats becoming of the place in terms of general attitude towards foreigners

My personal experience after an active six years or so in various parts of Thailand has left me with a view completely opposite to yours. My own experience also tells me that media services targetting a specific cultural group within a wider society also tend to highlight certain types of stories of greatest interest to the group.

Research shows, for instance, many elderly people in cities tend to develop a fortress mentality - even to hardly ever leaving their housing estate out of fear of violence on the streets. Their perceptions had been reinforced and fed by whatever news media they relied on to set their sense of reality. Unfortunately media - a commercial motivation - knows sensational is needed, despite claims of balance.

Most articles on TVF that I see follow the same pattern. It's the sensible thing to do.

No-one, apparently, gets interested in 'happy' stories for very long. The comments about a stream of 'honest taxi drivers' stories is an example.

I know bad things can happen but ( think it was Mark Twain) someone said "Rumours or lies can get halfway around the world before the truth has got its pants on").  And that was way before the internet came along.

7 hours ago, Iamtoofat said:

They hate us with their eyes.   Maybe Thailand invade Australia one day. If you can't see the Thai' s hate; you have atleast mild autism. 

That's one of the saddest statements I've read on TVF. I hope your life gets better.

You can only control your own actions in any given situation involving other people.

39 minutes ago, sandemara said:

That's one of the saddest statements I've read on TVF. I hope your life gets better.

You can only control your own actions in any given situation involving other people.

In 2000 or 2005 i would have agreed with you

But In the last decade or so I have seen a big decline 

Thais are less friendly and more aggressive if they don't get what they want, especially towards foreigners of all races.. 

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:37 PM, Cleveland said:

Was thinking only 4 on 1 was pretty mild by usual Thai standards.

Is there any other country in Asia where the foreigner is so despised, both by the locals and by the government?

They are also despised by Thaier than thou expats.

3 hours ago, sandemara said:

North Korea?

2 hours ago, sandemara said:

My personal experience after an active six years or so in various parts of Thailand has left me with a view completely opposite to yours. My own experience also tells me that media services targetting a specific cultural group within a wider society also tend to highlight certain types of stories of greatest interest to the group.

Research shows, for instance, many elderly people in cities tend to develop a fortress mentality - even to hardly ever leaving their housing estate out of fear of violence on the streets. Their perceptions had been reinforced and fed by whatever news media they relied on to set their sense of reality. Unfortunately media - a commercial motivation - knows sensational is needed, despite claims of balance.

Most articles on TVF that I see follow the same pattern. It's the sensible thing to do.

No-one, apparently, gets interested in 'happy' stories for very long. The comments about a stream of 'honest taxi drivers' stories is an example.

I know bad things can happen but ( think it was Mark Twain) someone said "Rumours or lies can get halfway around the world before the truth has got its pants on").  And that was way before the internet came along.

It's called click bait on the internet and  sensationalism on TV and newspapers. Generally in the latter the public can't respond but in the former every Tom, Dick and Harry can pound away at the keyboards spouting utter nonsense but who cares?

Only the website and advertisers .

Edited by bannork

3 hours ago, sandemara said:

Unconvinced!

Just now, inThailand said:

Yes..what is his pointless dribble about?

I think he's saying he's too scared to venture out no matter where he is and his view of thailand is based on media reports as his only solace is his 4x6 inch wifi connected view of the world

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

I think he's saying he's too scared to venture out no matter where he is and his view of thailand is based on media reports as his only solace is his 4x6 inch wifi connected view of the world

why is it that half the posters on TV don't live here or never did but claim expertise? 

Just now, inThailand said:

why is it that half the posters on TV don't live here or never did but claim expertise? 

How do you know they do not live here? I think most do. I only know of 3 that do not that are regulars but they can't keep away can they.

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

How do you know they do not live here? I think most do. I only know of 3 that do not that are regulars but they can't keep away can they.

Because of their asinine comments. We can smell a non expat 10 kms a way.

12 hours ago, sandemara said:

Ofcourse you are welcome to your opinions but mine and others i'm referring to are based on living here upwards of fifteen years and believe me its changed enormously.

11 hours ago, sandemara said:

I don't think its hatred because they don't care that much.  More so a smattering of xenophobia tinged with a chip on the shoulder because farangs have more money.

12 minutes ago, carmine said:

I don't think its hatred because they don't care that much.  More so a smattering of xenophobia tinged with a chip on the shoulder because farangs have more money.

I don't believe it's because of more money ....  I think it's a hate farang thing because they come to Thailand, always drunk in bars and taking girls to hotels, and generally disliked.

20 hours ago, Eli1 said:

Yes mate Thailand is like Russian roulette sometimes you miss but most times you'll get hit.

Not a very nice place.

Ao Nang is a nasty dirty place that I will never return to. 

20 hours ago, pumpjack said:

could he be dead ??????

lets see if any missing person reports in  the next days.

Headline news tomorrow.  Foreigner found hanged in room, suicide... no need to explain all the contusions on his body.

20 hours ago, Rancid said:

These incidents aren't about bravado or heroism and there are no rules. Its just about the enjoyment a retarded mind gets from inflicting severe pain and dismemberment on someone else. Which is why in a situation like this discretion is better than valor, it won't be a fair fight and even if not outnumbered you soon will be.

If you are a good fighter you need to take down multiple opponents quickly and viciously to even the numbers asap, then you face the chance of jail time if you accidentally killed one of them. I'm sure plenty know the sort of moves than can incapacitate quickly, but they are dangerous by their very nature. A real no win situation.

You nailed.  Not worth it.  AND.. if you do, grab that bag and head for the border.

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I don't believe it's because of more money ....  I think it's a hate farang thing because they come to Thailand, always drunk in bars and taking girls to hotels, and generally disliked.

And thats what Thais do as well i believe unless somethings changed in the years i've lived here!!  They just use their bars and leave foreigners to drink in their bars.

I am of course being rather sarcastic because i hope you are aware that not "all" foreigners spend their time getting drunk in bars just like not "all" Thai  men get drunk in bars.   Aside of this, i think you quite spectacularly miss the point as to why they don't feel so enamored with us.  Hate btw is far too strong a word and a word thrown around far too loosely these days.

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

And thats what Thais do as well i believe unless somethings changed in the years i've lived here!!  They just use their bars and leave foreigners to drink in their bars.

I am of course being rather sarcastic because i hope you are aware that not "all" foreigners spend their time getting drunk in bars just like not "all" Thai  men get drunk in bars.   Aside of this, i think you quite spectacularly miss the point as to why they don't feel so enamored with us.  Hate btw is far too strong a word and a word thrown around far too loosely these days.

well it is what it is I'm afraid.  My point being that the most farang the Thais see are mostly drunk and disorderly, misbehaving and swearing and they feel the farang has no respect for Thailand or it's culture and they only come here to get drunk and get girls.

Just now, steven100 said:

well it is what it is I'm afraid.  My point being that the most farang the Thais see are mostly drunk and disorderly, misbehaving and swearing and they feel the farang has no respect for Thailand or it's culture and they only come here to get drunk and get girls.

Oh come on thats just nonsense!!  You are judging the vast majority on the poor behavior of the minority.  God forbid i was to judge all Thais by the deplorable behavior of their minority of drunken thugs.

Anyway, if anyone is blinkered and stupid enough to "hate" all foreigners off the back off the behavior of a tiny minority then they are clearly a knuckle dragging moron whose opinion isn't worth a light anyway.

42 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Farang are friendly as <deleted>, here to have fun.  Thai see farangs as second class people who are merely tolerated so if a farang step one step out of line then the Thai will sometimes murder them or make them pay. I have seen a Thai be so rude and incompetent at their job but if a farang says "hey hurry up" omg; they want to kill the farang. Delusional old people talk about culture and being polite to Thai... I  how many countries is it the customers dirty to charm the business ?  Where else will you be killed by a tourism operator for a wrong word ? Where else do you have to tip-toe around the locals ? Here you can be murdered for arguing with a worker in a tourist area. All off these excuses about "drunk farang" or "rude farang" are proving my point above.  Just because you don't like someone or they're drunk doesn't mean you can kill them it is the reason farang are seen as second class - a Thai has the right to disagree but a farang dies not.  You better be a good little farang and spend your money and do as we say or else. What ? Thai never drink ? Thai always perfect ? Sorry to those who have invested so much here, but it's just race hate. All off this shows me how much of a delusion we live in in the west believing that different cultures are as accepting of us as we are of them. 

Edited by Iamtoofat
Fix errors

4 minutes ago, Iamtoofat said:

Farang are friendly as <deleted>, here to have fun.  Thai see farangs as second class people who are merely tolerated so if a farang step one step out of line then the Thai will murder them or make them pay.  It is truly sickening. I have seen a Thai be so rude and incompetent at their job but if a farang says "hey hurry up" omg; they want to kill the farang. Delusional old people talk about culture and being polite to Thai... I  how many countries is it the customers dirty to charm the business ?  Where else will you be killed by a tourism operator for a wrong word ? Where else do you have to tip toe around the locals ? Here you can be murdered for arguing with a worker in a tourist area. All off these excuses about "drunk farang" or "rude farang" are proving my point above.  Just because you don't like someone or they're drink doesn't mean you can kill them it is the reason farang are seen as second class - a Thai has the right to disagree a farang dies not.  You better be a good little farang and downs your money and du as we say or else.  What ? Thai never drink ? Thai always perfect ? Sorry to those who have invested so much her, but it's just race hate. All off this shows me how much of a delusion we live in in the west believing that different cultures are as accepting of us as we are of them. 

Ridiculous generalisations don't really offer much, other than providing an provocative, but ill-considered, rant! 

Spot on. In my experience there is a general scepticism about us as they associate most ferangs with wealth. I don't personally spend too much time in the main tourist hangouts and find the locals far better once they get to know you. This perception that we all come here, get pissed and take their women is more banged around by ferangs who hangout in these places than anyone else.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app