learn thai from a white guy

inthanet

Hi,
I'm looking for an Thai language course to start read and write.

at learnthaifromawhiteguy.com  i found an course that sound good.

Complete this 50+ lesson course and you will be able to:
✓ Read nearly any Thai word.
✓ Figure out the tone of any Thai word.
✓ Be able to pronounce any word you see correctly.
✓ Quickly realize how bad everyone sounds if they can't read and why.

For 127 USD i thing is ok so far.

Has somebody used this course and do it really work?

Thanks in advance for your review or advice

Seen a few of his videos posted as advertisement. Thai people I have asked don't really rate his tones, well not enough to teach an actual course. Some words they even have to replay a few times and only understand from context (which is weird as 'Thai people understanding you' is his draw card).Thai seem to think it would be better to learn the rule of tones with native Thai speakers. 

Seems his business model isn't very transparent also. Every now and then it will pop up on my Facebook, then not long after all the negative reviews/comments are deleted (leaving only the few positive ones). 

His claims of being able to teach people how to say 'everything' correctly in two weeks of audio (without being corrected - so possibly forming bad habits), pretty much sums up that the whole course seems to promise a lot. Those types of things usually don't deliver as much as they promise. 

On 8/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, geriatrickid said:

Perhaps the best way to learn is to go to a  mormon missionary training school. The My Mate Nate guy was a mormon missionary and his Thai is quite impressive. All of the mormon missionaries I have encountered have an impressive language skill. 

True, but then they are also nutjobs like Nate himself.

I haven't tried Brett's course. It probably works if you can motivate yourself to get through it. However, if it were me, I'd go with an online Thai teacher. For the cost of Brett's book of $127, you can book an online Thai teacher via Skype for 8 hours and learn to read, write and type in Thai in a more interactive and motivating way.

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Learn Thai from a white guy?..

I was unaware that skin colour was an academic point of reference!!?

Don't be a putz.  The issue is not skin color, but the fact that the white guy is not a native speaker of Thai and probably isn't even competent in it.

9 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

Don't be a putz.  The issue is not skin color, but the fact that the white guy is not a native speaker of Thai and probably isn't even competent in it.

Don't be bigot.  Words have strong meanings and implicitly...at least for those who know how to think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although I have my own place in Bangkok, I travel a lot outside Thailand and am never here long enough at a stretch. 

What is the best method, in your opinion, to learn Thai, and which is the recommended school/ teacher? I live by the river.

Would there be some method where I could take the classes as and when I'm in Thailand?

Hi,

I'm living in Pattaya for the next 12 months at least. My Thai is not very good and Just what i picked up on holidays really. So my plans are to stay here permanently now and so as an Immigrant, i feel it is proper and correct that I learn to speak the language fluently. I'm from the UK and we have seen a staggering amount of immigration there over the last 50 years and remember feeling annoyed when people could not speak our native language.

I'm not so bothered about being able to write or type in thai but that will surely happen once I learn to speak the language. So I am looking for advice on where to start and recommendations on who to approach.

The 127 USD mentioned above.... well if it was as good as the guy says it is, i guess it would be money well spent but it seems to have a fair amount of criticism. I don't mind spending a little money as long as it is money well spent.

Thanks in advance 

Richard

Archived