Movie “Waltz with Bashir“

THAIPHUKET

I used to have a dvd of this movie in my collection, which ultimately went to the local goodwill prior to my departure from the us. I am not sure that it had an English (dubbed) soundtrack. However it has something immensely better which is the director's running commentary throughout the movie, he speaks excellent English and offers great insights into the way he directed the movie.

Absorbing and unusual movie. Since it's not an English-speaking film, if ever it showed up in Thailand, it would certainly be dubbed in Thai and may or may not include English subtitles. Last year on my home visit, I found it aplenty at weekend swapmeets - seemed like a popular film back then in the states - was going to get one, but kept forgetting.

Last resort, if you must have it, get it from amazon uk, and choose sellers that would ship international. I have one movie on  my list that I'm gonna get from there, it's worth the wait and not that expensive (roughly 3 or 4 british pounds for postage).

(Come to think of it, it must have an English-dubbed soundtrack, all foreign movies released in the US invariably do,)

As far as war movies go, I rank WWB above Apocalypse Now, which even Coppola admitted was a jumbled mess, no matter what a glorious mess it was. What I really dig in WWB is the way memories were depicted as something that only memory should dictate (for its own "purposes" I guess) not as something that truly happened (the older one gets the more certainly one can attest to this effect). I guess some of this must not have been lost on you who have been there in real life. 

I remember reading an memoir excerpt sometime ago by someone growing up in Beirut and recalling fondly an idyllic bourgeois childhood spent on what was considered then the Middle-eastern French riviera before the war. That should make a nice bookend for this movie on the dvd... Anyway hope you would get it as your personal war memento! (and someday someone would remake Apocalypse now a la Bashir!)

If I remember I first saw this at one of the Bangkok International Film Festivals, many years ago.

I also bought the English dubbed video but gave away.

On Youtube it is in Yiddish or with subs in different languages but not in English.

I have just downloaded a full length English dubbed version from Putlocker, see below....

http://putlocker.ac/watch-waltz-with-bashir-online-free-2008-putlocker-v1.html

Good film !!!