Phuket Airport to waive TM6 for Thais to reduce long queues

snoop1130

Phuket Airport to waive TM6 for Thais to reduce long queues

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1502361694_1-org.jpg

The new TM.6 immigration card to be introduced on October 1. Photo: Thai Immigration Bureau

PHUKET:-- The move to reduce immigration queues at international airports by no longer having Thais fill out Arrivals Cards will be brought into effect at Phuket International Airport on October 1, the new Phuket Immigration Chief confirmed to The Phuket News today (Aug 10).

The news follows Thai Immigration Bureau Commissioner Nathathorn Prousoontorn announcing the policy shift in an notice issued yesterday (Aug 9).

However, that notice followed a command issued by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha last month ordering immigration officials at each international airport in the country to improve to their work practices to make them “more effective and faster to reduce passenger jams”.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-to-waive-tm6-for-thais-to-reduce-long-queues-63409.php#vUugljJuMftJ57va.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-8-10

Sorry, I do not gt it. Where is the time-saver? Thais have to fill out their arrival cards on departure. A Thai's TM6 is simply collected an stamped on re-arrival. All the mess is caused by lack of manpower/opened booths.

But I have to admit, on the occasion to my last visit in Europe I had to stand in line at passport control for about 2 hours. I do not agree with this "The Thais are this, the Thais are that...". They are not alone. The globally communicated message is: "Stay home, do your job, shut up, grab another six-pack and enjoy your football team on TV. No reason to hang out around the world. Look, nothing but inconvenience and trouble".

1 hour ago, Ralf61 said:

Sorry, I do not gt it. Where is the time-saver? Thais have to fill out their arrival cards on departure. A Thai's TM6 is simply collected an stamped on re-arrival. All the mess is caused by lack of manpower/opened booths.

But I have to admit, on the occasion to my last visit in Europe I had to stand in line at passport control for about 2 hours. I do not agree with this "The Thais are this, the Thais are that...". They are not alone. The globally communicated message is: "Stay home, do your job, shut up, grab another six-pack and enjoy your football team on TV. No reason to hang out around the world. Look, nothing but inconvenience and trouble".

I presume the information on the card has to be entered into a database by an IO?

14 hours ago, Ralf61 said:

Presumably there is some processing time when the Thais leave Thailand? If there is less time spent on processing Thais leaving Thailand, maybe some immigration officers could be moved to processing people entering the country.

Quite logical this move, considering that my Thai friend Kiatichartiamnartsanit Thadawajirachatchaiplaphongvanich takes 20 minutes and 2 new pens to write his name in on the TM6 form.

Sgt Somchai, the immigration officer needs 35 minutes and 2 tea breaks to finish his one-finger data entry for that one.

Edited by Dobredin Ghusputin

Interesting that the immigration dept itself would gladly see the back of this form (read this somewhere else). Seems that TAT is the organisation that pushed for it to remain. Nice that the TAT can direct another Gov't Dept.

If the automated systems do come on line within the next couple of years  it may become redundant.

Also interesting: "Of note, minutes of a Cabinet meeting held on January 17 this year noted that the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Interior, among other “relevant offices”, were reviewing the prospect of having automatic terminals clear foreigners arriving in Thailand."