Silom

sanuk711

Got some friends stopping over from Oz on the way to the UK-- they have booked a hotel in Silom for 5 days.

So I will also book in there--I dont know the area much, (or BKK that well--been last 15 years in Issan) I can pick up some stuff from the net, roof top bars etc. I would like to take them on a river cruise-- are the private owned long boats in a special area, would like to take them up some of the klongs where people are still living, what would be an average 3-4 hours rate to pay.?

I know PatPong is in the Silom area, been over 12 years since I have been there----but I believe the night market is quite good--and of course they will want to Gawk at the sites, but there has been so many stories about bars doing a rip off that I'm worried about stopping for a drink in any of them-- but recommendations if you have any please.

Massage in that area--I mean he is really into good massage, he pays about $90 for his 45 min sports massage in Oz.

Or anywhere that you think would be of interest that I could have missed on the webb.

-------Wow 5 days in BKK...after years & years in Baan Nok.

Thanks guys.

Your aussie mates want some stories to tell back home, so bring them to a ladyboy stripshow.

They also need some insects for snack from the streetstalls.

A ride through the city in a tuktuk with drunken driver.

See the pingpong show.

Drink European whitebeer like Paulaner or Hoegaarden.

For Patong i can't advise you but be carefull in those shows while ordering drinks or girls sitting on your lap or so...They do the pingong/darts/rasorblade/cola bottle shows though....

There's an Irish Pub next BTS that has a great music Wednesday to Sunday from 8PM. Molly Malone's on Convent has a good Happy Hour 4PM to 8PM. Aussie's normally like the Ladyboy Bars on Patpong, so take them there. Good Dinner at Roadhouse Barbeque.

Edited by tomwct

I visit Silom  about twice a year. It gets seedier and more boring with every visit. If one wants to be around Asian sex tourists and to visit some rather lame and low end bars then Silom has a lot on offer. Perhaps I have become jaded, but every time we find a nice bar or restaurant , the next time we  go there it has closed down or changed management and the food/service is crap.

Silom is popular with elderly gay farangs too. 

Why bother hiring a boat If you want a quick river tour, ride the boat taxis from one end of the river to the other. I have done this. Outside of rush hour, it's a nice way to kill a few hours and see the city.  If you want a quick view of the city, ride the BTS and look out the window.

Edited by geriatrickid

i had a similar situation about 2 years ago.  friend came to bkk and wanted to see the silom area, the river, etc..  as noted by another, roadhouse BBQ is excellent.  corner of rama IV and surawong.  i think the irish pub with the music closed down last week, it is/was on the corner of soi thaniya and silom.  i regularly dine at roadhouse bbq and finish up with a couple beers at the irish place (front patio).  i think it is reopening as a steak house in a couple months.  not much for farangs on soi thaniya but worth walking through to see it (mainly lady bars for japanese, the ladies sit out front).

my friend wanted to see lumphini park.  hoped to see a monitor lizard there and we saw one within in 5 minutes.  so that ended the park tour !!  then we took BTS two stops to saphan taksin station.  this station is next to the river.  we rented a 'private boat', the typical long tail style (2 of us).  we went up river and saw the grand palace (toured inside, boat waited for us).  then we saw some smaller khlongs and got dropped at the mandarin oriental dock.  we had a couple drinks at their outside bar.  took the mandarin boat (free) back to saphan taksin.  i can't remember what we paid for the boat ride, it was about 2 hours (our tour of grand palace was not more than 30 min),  i think it was less than 1500 but more than 1000. 

as far as patpong goes, i'd stick with bada bing, electric blue, and/or the strip as far as go go bars.  they are all right next to each other on patpong soi 2.  the night market is on patpong soi 1.  the 'shows' in patpong should probably be avoided.  i have a feeling alot of the 'shows' that are touted are not really shows at all.  you might get lucky and find one but more likely you'll just get a bill for 500thb each as soon as you sit down.  avoid following a tout to a bar for a show.  much better off at the go go's.

silom complex, which is accessible via the silom/sala daeng BTS, has alot of restaurants.  they have a website and you can check the directory to see if any of them look good.  silomcomplex.net

we also did the rooftop bar at lebua state tower.  it was okay.  i think the beer was 400, a bit much.  i think the best rooftop bar is the marriott sukhumvit soi 57 (i think it is called octave).  very close to thonglor BTS but not close to silom !!  beer there is 200 or 250.  there are a couple other rooftop bars in/near silom but i haven't tried them.  cloud 47 at united center on silom rd.  i think there is another one over on sathon at the banyan tree.

enjoy the tour with your friends

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, tomwct said:

There's an Irish Pub next BTS that has a great music Wednesday to Sunday from 8PM. Molly Malone's on Convent has a good Happy Hour 4PM to 8PM. Aussie's normally like the Ladyboy Bars on Patpong, so take them there. Good Dinner at Roadhouse Barbeque.

Flann O'brians. I do believe it has now shut down. Shame as I love going to see the Bangkok Beatles on a Friday night.

2 hours ago, berybert said:

Flann O'brians. I do believe it has now shut down. Shame as I love going to see the Bangkok Beatles on a Friday night.

If that's also closed now there's no more reason to go to soi Thaniya for a westerner.

The Barbican was also a good place to eat/drink...a little further down the soi.

7 hours ago, Thian said:

If that's also closed now there's no more reason to go to soi Thaniya for a westerner.

The Barbican was also a good place to eat/drink...a little further down the soi.

'The Bangkok Beatles had nowhere to play after the closure of Flann O’Brien’s on Silom Road but they soon fixed that and from this Friday will perform at Classic Bell, a restaurant near K-Village on Sukhumvit soi 26.'

Closer to where I live now so that does me.

4 minutes ago, berybert said:

'The Bangkok Beatles had nowhere to play after the closure of Flann O’Brien’s on Silom Road but they soon fixed that and from this Friday will perform at Classic Bell, a restaurant near K-Village on Sukhumvit soi 26.'

Closer to where I live now so that does me.

Too bad they're closed, will they re-open somewhere?

Actually i prefer to sit outside on nice terraces...in kao san area they have great open restaurants now with loads of statues in the garden and even big waterfalls. Something like that should also be near Patong.

If i was the OP i would go eating at buffets with my friends. You can also use the eatigo app. and get much discount..that works best if you're with many persons. Check it out.

In the Patpong area be very careful  if you go to any of the bars on the second floor, the ones that are promoting sex shows.      Lots of problems with overcharging.

Good advice, the exception being Black Pagoda which is opposite Foodland on soi 2, upstairs.

Thank's guys---sorry for delay in thanking--been traveling, I  did check before I left & there was nothing so thought --maybe I should have wrapped this post up in a "I think my girlfriend is cheating on me- & where do I go in Silom thread"---then looked through the 120 page replies.

Thanks for your contribution Buick--I will take a look  for the freelance boats in that area--the hotel I  just checked into --the travel desk is asking 4,000 for 2 hours. I did see cloud 47 roof top on the net---liked the look of it because they call it a casual bar---the only other one I had been to was the Zoom bar when my wife had to go into the hospital near there.

;

Again Thanks..............:omfg:

On 11/08/2017 at 10:38 PM, Thian said:

Your aussie mates want some stories to tell back home, so bring them to a ladyboy stripshow.

They also need some insects for snack from the streetstalls.

A ride through the city in a tuktuk with drunken driver.

See the pingpong show.

Drink European whitebeer like Paulaner or Hoegaarden.

For Patong i can't advise you but be carefull in those shows while ordering drinks or girls sitting on your lap or so...They do the pingong/darts/rasorblade/cola bottle shows though....

That's pretty sad advice. You didn't include a sarc/ tag but I'm hoping you were just trying to be funny. If that's the case; yes it was pretty funny.

On 11/08/2017 at 10:58 PM, tomwct said:

"Aussie's normally like the Ladyboy Bars on Patpong, so take them there." 

I lived in Bangkok for about 16 years and about 50% of my friends were Aussie. NONE of them frequented Ladyboy bars that I knew of. Maybe they were sneaking off and slumming in Ladyboy bars unbeknownst to me. If there are any Aussie's out there you might want jump in and clerify this new stereotype that you've just been labelled with.

On 14/08/2017 at 0:46 AM, Spaniel said:

In the Patpong area be very careful  if you go to any of the bars on the second floor, the ones that are promoting sex shows.      Lots of problems with overcharging.

He's right! Don't ever go upstairs in Patpong. 90% of the time you'll get ripped off and if you complain it can lead to violence or at very least grief.

Lived in Silom several months. Strange area. Mostly corporate type business buildings or hotels. Inside people who like ac.

Not much to do in Silom and gets quiet at night. Feels deserted after dark.

if you like hotel bars and buffets it's a good location.

patong is exciting of course but it's an exception for the area and not that big. Lumpini park is also a great option for day times, but gets old after a visit or two.

easy way to avoid scam bars/establishments is simply to pause and check out the place before going in. I can tell immediately by just looking at the staff or servers or guys hanging out by the door/entry. Not hard to do unless your drunk or loaded.

if the windows are smoked simply step inside and look. Not hard to do.

The vibe has to be positive without thinking about it if it he vibe is seedy or neutral it's a no. Pushy but nice is also a no.

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, geriatrickid said:

I visit Silom  about twice a year. It gets seedier and more boring with every visit. If one wants to be around Asian sex tourists and to visit some rather lame and low end bars then Silom has a lot on offer. Perhaps I have become jaded, but every time we find a nice bar or restaurant , the next time we  go there it has closed down or changed management and the food/service is crap.

Silom is popular with elderly gay farangs too. 

Why bother hiring a boat If you want a quick river tour, ride the boat taxis from one end of the river to the other. I have done this. Outside of rush hour, it's a nice way to kill a few hours and see the city.  If you want a quick view of the city, ride the BTS and look out the window.

Wow....what an inspirational post.

Thanks.