Travelers in Thailand warned of severe penalties for flouting liquids in aircraft regulations after report

snoop1130

Wouldn't you think they would just stick to the confiscation rule and be done with it???  And as far as the many angry Australians (first time travellers) who get their duty-free alcohol confiscated at the gate upon returning to Australia, perhaps educate the vendors in the airport to inform them they must lodge their purchases at the KingPower counter for delivery through security to the gate departure lounge.

2 minutes ago, AWillOz said:

Wouldn't you think they would just stick to the confiscation rule and be done with it???  And as far as the many angry Australians (first time travellers) who get their duty-free alcohol confiscated at the gate upon returning to Australia, perhaps educate the vendors in the airport to inform them they must lodge their purchases at the KingPower counter for delivery through security to the gate departure lounge.

No need to educate the vendors.

In many airports the vendors will always simply scan your boarding card, and the screen will give them all information that is needed. The vendor can then not sell you anything that is not allowed for your destination.

Why should anyone be jailed or fined for taking excess dangerous shampoo on board when I can legally bring on board a bottle of JD and a cigarette lighter and moltov coctail the aircraft? They will of course sell me these items after the checks.

I would suffer the chance of being blown up to see all these machines and ques go. There is as much chance of being blown up as there is of the plane crashing. The thing they are trying to do is instill fear. That way the sheeple can be controlled. The Viatnam war was planned by the US government as was the entry to WW2 via the known attack on Pearl harbour, same with 9/11 and if people dont know that the governments don"t work for the people any longer but for their own interests, then they have not done their research.

Edited by Sumarianson
Spell check

On 8/11/2017 at 7:22 PM, wakeupplease said:

Jail, Seems to be the answer around here for everything, except if you kill someone and then just 500Bt

I wonder what the jail time is for >arting

I find it hard to believe that anyone has ever been jailed for any petty offense on the books here in Thailand. In fact, if I'm not mistaken you could be jailed for driving without a driver's license, but like anyone has ever been jailed for that? In theory, Thailand sounds like a nanny state in terms of the number of laws on the statute books, in practice, most of the time you have nothing to worry about. There's almost nothing that a few hundred Baht can't solve. Having said that, one place (perhaps one of the few in the entire country) where the authorities are quite strict in applying the practices they have been instructed to follow (and where they are also likely to punish transgressors) is at an airport.

Am I confused or does that mean all the "duty free" liquor shops at the airports will be closed?

Clearly, if you can't take what you buy on board as it is illegal then surely, the shops that sell it at the airport, knowing the law, are complicit in the crime.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, Sumarianson said:

Why should anyone be jailed or fined for taking excess dangerous shampoo on board when I can legally bring on board a bottle of JD and a cigarette lighter and moltov coctail the aircraft? They will of course sell me these items after the checks.

I would suffer the chance of being blown up to see all these machines and ques go. There is as much chance of being blown up as there is of the plane crashing. The thing they are trying to do is instill fear. That way the sheeple can be controlled. The Viatnam war was planned by the US government as was the entry to WW2 via the known attack on Pearl harbour, same with 9/11 and if people dont know that the governments don"t work for the people any longer but for their own interests, then they have not done their research.

Absolutely. It's all about fear. Normal, rational, common sense people know that the idea of people randomly blowing up planes with shampoo bottles is absurdist nonsense (i.e. fear based propaganda). They also don't let their lives be dictated by fear. It's all designed to deflect attention away from the actual parties responsible for doing these things (governments, the CIA etc.) and their agendas. Only governments, CIA agents etc. have the means, resources, capability and ability to carry out and benefit from such actions. It's insane that the average individual will believe any nonsense they are told just because it's on TV. Fact is, the Thai government was either coerced or paid into submission to impose these rules and that's all that matters.

You know how we know this? Because different countries still have different security standards and whether security at airports is heightened or not doesn't prevent incidents from occurring or making us safer. I went to China recently and didn't notice a single body scanner. Neither at international or domestic airports. Some airports there have this ridiculous bomb detection scanning check when you enter the departure level of the airport (but not the arrivals level, where this is not carried out). All passengers are quickly wanded manually after passing through the metal detector (not just those who caused the detector to start going off), while at Suvarnabhumi, only business and first class passengers still have the privilege of choosing to go through a normal metal detector as opposed to a body scanner, which is your only option for international economy departures. Even Singapore doesn't have a single body scanner and they are not any less secure than Bangkok, quite the contrary.

On 8/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, tryasimight said:

I've tried to buy booze at duty free but when they see my Oz passport and ask where I am going they refuse to sell it to me. They know the rules. It's never got to the stage of being confiscated.

You can buy booze duty free for Australia but it needs to be delivered to you at the gate. You also need to allow at least an hour for delivery. I asked 2 days ago at duty free and was also told it is cheaper to buy in Australia duty free on arrival, which is probably true.

The scams a while back on entry to LoS was either someone telling you to put your duty free into your hand baggage and then you get stopped later on and accused of smuggling...that was a 20k baht fine.

The other was giving you chewing gum in your change at the duty free shops then accusing you of theft...another 20k.

Do not buy bugger all from King Power. :post-4641-1156693976:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 1:22 PM, wakeupplease said:

Jail, Seems to be the answer around here for everything, except if you kill someone and then just 500Bt

I wonder what the jail time is for >arting

Quiet substantial i should imagine as >arting requires one to exert oneself.So the offence would be >arting without a work permit.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:08 PM, ratcatcher said:

"Rumors abound that there is a racket at airports to sell confiscated items."

And it would seem, by all accounts, that these rumors are well justified. 

And i don't see the problem, better sell them instead of dumping it...

I'm always amazed how many travellers are arguing with the security about liquids found in their hand luggage.  Almost non-stop there are liquids found by the scanners and mostly it's from ladies who want to bring make-up stuff onboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2017 at 4:08 PM, ratcatcher said:

"Rumors abound that there is a racket at airports to sell confiscated items."

And it would seem, by all accounts, that these rumors are well justified. 

I think you will find that they sell confiscated items in many countries. The police and customs have been doing that for ever.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:49 PM, mommysboy said:

When I read the rather vague headline my thoughts instantly went to e-cigarettes and liquid because the authorities do seem to be clamping down rather heavily.  Incredibly- to most sane people anyway- bringing an ecig in to Thailand is regarded as importing an illegal object.

What happens if you want to take your e-cigarette out?

• 2 months later...

Are you not allowed to take liquids, booze & perfume, on board as long as it is bought air-side, after all security checks ie at duty free. It is normally put in sealed plastic bags. 

Edited by wgdanson

On 8/27/2017 at 5:02 PM, Spock said:

You can buy booze duty free for Australia but it needs to be delivered to you at the gate. You also need to allow at least an hour for delivery. I asked 2 days ago at duty free and was also told it is cheaper to buy in Australia duty free on arrival, which is probably true.

It's far cheaper to buy whisky in any liquor store in Thailand, package it properly and put it in your hold luggage. Bells Scotch in Thailand currently AUD 14 for a 700 ml bottle. Comparable brand in Aldi in Australia >AUD 30.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:41 AM, Thian said:

And i don't see the problem, better sell them instead of dumping it...

I'm always amazed how many travellers are arguing with the security about liquids found in their hand luggage.  Almost non-stop there are liquids found by the scanners and mostly it's from ladies who want to bring make-up stuff onboard.

It's a racket. It shows how idiotic the rules are when liquids are restricted in carry-on luggage, and it's open slather on hold luggage.

Recently, I had to surrender two mosquito racquets in my hold luggage because of the batteries. How many battery-powered laptops and smart phones go on board the average flight?

AND nothing at all was said about the 3 bottles of whisky I had in my suitcase, although they must have shown up on the scanner.

As they say, you can't fix stupid.