2 weeks holiday's in Koh Samui any recommendations?

Hello all, travelling to Thailand for two weeks next month, could anyone give advise on beach side hotels or bungalows that have a nice beach to relax, also probable go to Koh Phangan also for a few days. 

Also any general recommendations on holidaying there would be great.

I would much appreciate your opinion.

Thanks all.

Multiple options, as most resorts are beach side at Koh Samui.

To "relax" you should look for more quiet beaches, meaning avoid a major part of Chaweng Beach. Good options are some of the Northern beaches, both in Plai Laem district and Maenam and Bo Phut; eventually Bang Por. But there are multiple possibilities around the island. Most places have choices from cheap huts to 5-star luxury accommodation. You can use Google Street View to "walk by the beach" and see the relaxing beach-side and beach-front locations, and when changing to map find name of resort, and position compared to restaurants and shopping. I place an example (only) for a start here.

Commuting to Koh Phangan you have a number of choices:

1) The original old Thong Nai Pan Express ferry, departing at noon from Maenam Pier.

2) The old "Haad Rin Queen" slow-boat from Bang Rak pier to Haad Rin.

3) Lomprayah catamaran from Maenam Pralan Pier to Thong Sala.

4) Seatran Discovery Express boat from Big Buddha Bang Rak Pier to Thong Sala.

(Not sure if there's also a permanent route fra Big Buddha Pier to Haad Rin)

Choose ferry after where you are heading to at Koh Phangan. Haad Rin is the area for the Full Moon Party – most places has minimum of 5-days booking during party period – so if you are not a partying person and mingling with younger folks, you shall probably avoid that area; especially in the weeks around Full Moon Party, which next time is September 5th. Around Thong Sale area there's a lot of nice relaxing resorts; and if you are into a Bounty Coconut Beach place with nothing but relation, Thong Nai Pan Lek,and Thong Nai Pan Yai are perfect options...:smile:

I would say that KunPer has given some good advice above, but...

I find myself smiling at the word "relax". On this forum, people relax in incredibly different ways. In some cases, it is dancing in Cheweng until 3 AM, and for others it is cycling at the crack of dawn.

Perhaps if you give a general price range some other members might be able to recommend more specific places; I think it is clear that they should be by the beach.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I would say that KunPer has given some good advice above, but...

I find myself smiling at the word "relax". On this forum, people relax in incredibly different ways. In some cases, it is dancing in Cheweng until 3 AM, and for others it is cycling at the crack of dawn.

Perhaps if you give a general price range some other members might be able to recommend more specific places; I think it is clear that they should be by the beach.

Cheers

Thanks – agree with missing definition of "relax", but presumed it was by the beach – and yes, I'm one of those relaxing when dancing in Chaweng, but only till 2 am; would be utterly alone there with no music, and no guests after new police chief's early closing time...:sad:

And I should have added, that there are also some ferry routes from Nathon to Thong Sala (not familiar with details), if OP find an attractive relaxing beach-resort in that area – Google Earth can be a good help when searching...:smile:

OP's question needs a budget amount. Great variation in prices.

I never pick a place till I am there and can see what is going on. Many places are building sites in low season.

I gave up on Chaweng as it became too trendy and expensive ( I also hate planes flying overhead all day ), so I stayed on Mae Nam beach as it's small enough to be quiet, but large enough to be a real beach.

Large variation in places to stay, and on the sand/ away from the sand.

Actually, I gave away Samui altogether as Phangan is, IMO far better.

I liked the beaches on the north and north east. Chaloklum is as good a place as any to start off. Can get boat from there to Bottle, which used to be the cheese, till they built a concrete hotel in the middle and ruined it.

Than Sadet is as good as it gets, but may not be to everyone's taste, especially as zero nightlife.

23 hours ago, khunPer said:

Multiple options, as most resorts are beach side at Koh Samui.

To "relax" you should look for more quiet beaches, meaning avoid a major part of Chaweng Beach. Good options are some of the Northern beaches, both in Plai Laem district and Maenam and Bo Phut; eventually Bang Por. But there are multiple possibilities around the island. Most places have choices from cheap huts to 5-star luxury accommodation. You can use Google Street View to "walk by the beach" and see the relaxing beach-side and beach-front locations, and when changing to map find name of resort, and position compared to restaurants and shopping. I place an example (only) for a start here.

Commuting to Koh Phangan you have a number of choices:

1) The original old Thong Nai Pan Express ferry, departing at noon from Maenam Pier.

2) The old "Haad Rin Queen" slow-boat from Bang Rak pier to Haad Rin.

3) Lomprayah catamaran from Maenam Pralan Pier to Thong Sala.

4) Seatran Discovery Express boat from Big Buddha Bang Rak Pier to Thong Sala.

(Not sure if there's also a permanent route fra Big Buddha Pier to Haad Rin)

Choose ferry after where you are heading to at Koh Phangan. Haad Rin is the area for the Full Moon Party – most places has minimum of 5-days booking during party period – so if you are not a partying person and mingling with younger folks, you shall probably avoid that area; especially in the weeks around Full Moon Party, which next time is September 5th. Around Thong Sale area there's a lot of nice relaxing resorts; and if you are into a Bounty Coconut Beach place with nothing but relation, Thong Nai Pan Lek,and Thong Nai Pan Yai are perfect options...:smile:

Have they got rid of the party bar on TNPY? I had to leave early because of the abomination keeping me awake every night till 3 am.

If yo want to relax and get away from the crowds, then you can still do this on Samui. Check out the resorts on the West side of the island South of Nathon. There are some great places with great food around Lipa Noi and Taling Nam. Try Lipa Lodge / Lipa Bay / Lipa Lovely resort as examples of what you can find.

Also rent a car / bike and head for the mountains. Some great places to visit off the beaten track. Check out Mountain View restaurant or Paradise Park Farm....

Good luck ! 

7 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

If yo want to relax and get away from the crowds, then you can still do this on Samui. Check out the resorts on the West side of the island South of Nathon. There are some great places with great food around Lipa Noi and Taling Nam. Try Lipa Lodge / Lipa Bay / Lipa Lovely resort as examples of what you can find.

Also rent a car / bike and head for the mountains. Some great places to visit off the beaten track. Check out Mountain View restaurant or Paradise Park Farm....

Good luck ! 

Agree with most of the above in regards to locations,...but  not sure about taking a car up them there hills, the roads can be pretty rough...

Even a motorbike some areas can be a white knuckle experience!!! Certainly don't do alone! Some beautiful views and areas to see .. Safari truck ride might be better for most people!

16 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Keep away from Chaweng area unless you want to be bombarded with noise

Chaweng is a big place, only noice is around soi green Mango. 

South and north are quiet even on the beach road. 

Try places like soi Haad Ngam and you're like in rural Thailand. 

I've stayed a couple of times in Bang Por right on the beach. There are loads of beach huts for hire as well as resorts, hotels depending on your budget. Most days is like having a beach to yourself. Unspoilt and peaceful if that's your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Keep away from Chaweng area unless you want to be bombarded with noise

Agree, especially in the part behind the reef. When I was there last, many bars had loud music playing and the aircraft coming in to land are a severe annoyance to anyone wanting to relax.

It might have changed, but when I was there, the usual horde of sellers of tourist tat were disturbing me every few minutes- a common spoiler of popular beaches.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:22 AM, piersbeckett said:

I was happy at Thong Takhian Beach (Silver Beach); have stayed at both the Crystal Bay Beach Resort and Crystal Bay Yacht Club - both very good, I thought, possibly Yacht Club has the edge.

Happy holidaying!

Hi pierbeckett, Thanks for the recommendations I have decided to spend a few days there and another beach then off to koh Phangan for a few days too. Will update thread on how it goes, have a great weekend.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:37 AM, PoorSucker said:

Chaweng is a big place, only noice is around soi green Mango. 

South and north are quiet even on the beach road. 

Try places like soi Haad Ngam and you're like in rural Thailand. 

There's noise at the beach from evening-parties, up North from both Ark Bar and Cha Cha Moon Beach (the latter don't party every night), and down South from The Beach Bar (don't know if it's only week-ends), which seem to be still going strong, even some rumors said it had closed – I saw (and heard) Tannoy-wagons yesterday announcing for The Bear Bar (same wagons as previously used for Sound Club and Lake View Arena, there's some kind of connection)...

However, inside most resorts' gardens are amazingly quiet...:smile:

my recommendations.

Do stay in Chaweng beach in Samui at long beach lodge resort in best location mid chaweng then go for day trip to any islands called rightly death islands though avoid staying there overnight...Islanders are much too dangerous and never facing any laws to be punished for several dramatic deaths recently.

Anything else is a pure tropical adventure with many dangers on roads in the sea and at bars...

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

There's noise at the beach from evening-parties, up North from both Ark Bar and Cha Cha Moon Beach (the latter don't party every night), and down South from The Beach Bar (don't know if it's only week-ends), which seem to be still going strong, even some rumors said it had closed – I saw (and heard) Tannoy-wagons yesterday announcing for The Bear Bar (same wagons as previously used for Sound Club and Lake View Arena, there's some kind of connection)...

However, inside most resorts' gardens are amazingly quiet...:smile:

I live on the beach road in south Chaweng ,no noise exempt some wannabe motorbikers.

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I live on the beach road in south Chaweng ,no noise exempt some wannabe motorbikers.

You don't hear Ark and Cha Cha Moon on the Beach Road either, but definitely on the beach – one poster earlier complained about the Ark Bar sound could be heard all the way to Chaweng Noi – but inside an almost neighboring resort's garden area around bungalows it's complete quiet. Have something to do with acoustics, and reflections, and distance, Haad Rin's Black Moon Party, on Koh Phangan, is for example very audible in Maenam's beach area; but it's only once a month. Wannabe motorbikes however, are a increasing noise polluter at Samui, especially during an otherwise quiet night...:crying: