Cheap GPS?

driver52

2 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Why don't you want to use a phone, out of interest?

It seems to me GPS devices are made almost obsolete by the emergence of the GPS apps.

Phone downsides:

- mounting it on the handlebars, feel free to point me to a decent mount....

- battery life

- not waterproof

- if I get good I want to see my cadence :post-4641-1156694572: maybe there is a mobile app to do this now?

I'd never put my phone on the bike, too expensive and fragile. I'd also like to keep the battery available for taking selfies and making phone calls, not draining it on a bike ride. Also if you crash, bye bye phone.

Far from being obsolete, there has been an increase in the number of devices available, some will also connect to your phone to provide live tracking information, so if you're going out alone you can post a link and family/friends can check where you are and that you're ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/15/2017 at 8:22 AM, moonoi said:

I'd never put my phone on the bike, too expensive and fragile. I'd also like to keep the battery available for taking selfies and making phone calls, not draining it on a bike ride. Also if you crash, bye bye phone.

Far from being obsolete, there has been an increase in the number of devices available, some will also connect to your phone to provide live tracking information, so if you're going out alone you can post a link and family/friends can check where you are and that you're ok.

I leave my phone in my backpack.  Most of the problems I have had in tracking rides have been due to fiddling with the phone.  Now most of the problems I have are when I put it on Pause at stops, and forget to restart.

Since I upgraded from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6, battery life has generally been plenty, unless it has not been fully charged to begin with.  If I had something else for tracking, I would never remember to keep it charged.

I'm slightly sceptical about the value of the tracking functions, as I can imagine a lot of interrupted pub-stops

SC

6 hours ago, Pdaz said:

I have a Garmin Edge 810.. Long battery life, waterproof, includes a mounting bracket, links to my heart rate monitor and my cadence sensor. Highly recommended and not that pricey.

Hi Pdaz, when you say 'not that pricey', what's the typical price of this in Thailand?

Thanks!

810 isn't available new anymore, it's replacement, the 820 is around 19-20k, which is pretty pricey in my book.

If you want something cheap with 90%+ the features of a Garmin take a look at Bryton as I suggested earlier, their computers start at 2000 baht for the GPS enabled Rider 10, which will also connect to heart rate and cadence sensors if you want. Even their most expensive model is only around 8k (Rider 530) and is even used by the Giant Sunweb World Tour Team (Giant are also about to release a new computer based on the Bryton 530, but with some customization specifically requested by their top level riders).

I bricked the old iphone 3 in a rubber RAM mount on a motorcycle with 11" of suspension so rigidly mounting on a bicycle may be asking for disaster long term.  I've put my phone in one of the cheap top tube bags so it's isolated from the vibrations.  I'm guessing a bike computer is suspended on rubber blocks inside the case to avoid long term problems.

I don't cycle much, all my usage of GPS is hiking on trails in the jungle.  In that environment a phone works great, so there's no point buying another piece of dedicated GPS kit.

To solve the battery life problem I take a battery pack, but I adjust all the settings on the phone first, disable all apps etc, so I can get 8 hours out of a single charge anyway so rarely need to use the battery pack.

To solve the waterproof problem, I'm always carrying a waterproof bag anyway, so it stays in there until I need to check the route.

I suppose when cycling you need to be checking the route more often, and maybe time is more critical, so you need to mount it or have it to hand, not in a bag.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:47 PM, Deserted said:

If you don't mind me asking, exactly what do you want it for? Are you reliant upon technology to inform you of what is happening when you cycle?

I get a lot of pleasure from reviewing my ride statistics, using Strava, including comparison with others.  If I was fitter, I could imagine it might be even more pleasant, and less depressing.  Maybe others would find that motivated them to get fitter.

It's also interesting to see other people's rides, which sometimes give me ideas for my own rides. 

I keep my phone in my backpack when I'm cycling, though I do check the distance when stopped, from time to time, and also check the map for directions occasionally.  I sometimes check the average speed, as well, but that doesn't normally prove too informative, since the speed varies more with the route than the fitness or the particular day

SC

I recommend this one: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/garmin-edge-800, and you can get it for less than 5'000 THB.
The big advantage against the cheap products is that you can load brilliant maps incl. POIs (Points of interest - very useful on tours through unknown regions), and it leads you exacty where you planned to go. I also like the easy connection with the Garmin Connect platform for recording your tours (similar to Strava).
Edge 810/820 offer some additional features I don't use (e.g. online-connection with friends), so for me the 800 is absolutely perfect.
But be forewarned: Using all offered features and various settings "blindfolded" needs some weeks; all depends on your preferences ...

• 2 weeks later...

I use my phone down load an app loads of yhem out there i use runstastic which is for bikes as well. Start app as i start ride put phone in back pack and forget about it. Records your distance route stops speed ect ect. Will even tell you if you want of course (i use a bluetooth ear piece) the distance and time taken as you go along. Plus i have music on demand.

32 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I use my phone down load an app loads of yhem out there i use runstastic which is for bikes as well. Start app as i start ride put phone in back pack and forget about it. Records your distance route stops speed ect ect. Will even tell you if you want of course (i use a bluetooth ear piece) the distance and time taken as you go along. Plus i have music on demand.

how often does it update ?

and does it turn off if you stop moving and then start again when you start moving ?  (lunch break ! )

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

how often does it update ?

and does it turn off if you stop moving and then start again when you start moving ?  (lunch break ! )

Updates as and when the app developer udates it. As for turn off i belive it can if you buy the Pro version which i havent (4.99) on the non pro the time keeps clocking. Something i never worry about as im not worried about time or racing but it gives me distance. Plus im never out long enough to stop for dinner lol 10 to 15 miles z day is good enough for me.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Updates as and when the app developer udates it. As for turn off i belive it can if you buy the Pro version which i havent (4.99) on the non pro the time keeps clocking. Something i never worry about as im not worried about time or racing but it gives me distance. Plus im never out long enough to stop for dinner lol 10 to 15 miles z day is good enough for me.

I use Runtastic - I've paid for the Pro version.  The Auto-stop is done on the phone, so if you download the data to edit it (e.g. to chop out the ride home in the car) then when it reloads, all the stops get counted again.  I don't know if maybe the stops are done by ending a track segment (codes in the gpx file: </trkseg> <trkseg>), which do not get saved in the Export file.

Recently I had problems with the Autopause not restarting, and lost a lot of route data, so I've turned it off.  For actually tracking my rides, I import the data into Strava, which does the Auto-pause function in the app on the data, so it always shows the Average Moving speed.

For lunch, you're better to manually pause Runtastic, as you can get a bit of 'noise' on your gps position, especially if you go inside a building, which gives you some random false movement.  But you need to remember to restart as well!

SC

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bobfish said:

I just purchased a Garmin 820 to replace my 1000. Similar functions with a smaller screen, but I believe the battery life should be better. 

How is the battery life?  Do you need to charge for every ride?  

I have enough trouble charging my phone and my lights.

I can easily do a five hour ride on the phone, and if I make sure its fully charged and don't over-use the screen, I can do a 100 km + ride quite happily (six or seven hours elapsed).

I don't get pulse rate monitoring, but if I saw my pulse rate it would probably give me a heart attack.

SC

20 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I have enough trouble charging my phone and my lights.

I can easily do a five hour ride on the phone, and if I make sure its fully charged and don't over-use the screen, I can do a 100 km + ride quite happily (six or seven hours elapsed).

I don't get pulse rate monitoring, but if I saw my pulse rate it would probably give me a heart attack.

SC

Sorry, not tested it yet, but I'm believing 75% of the hype! I ride in many places that are unfamiliar to me, so I do use the mapping a lot. With the 1000 I could get around 5 hrs with BT disabled. I needed a battery pack to guarantee getting back to the hotel. 

A recent ride using just my phone gave me a similar time, but the roaming service kept crashing and I hadn't cached the maps. [Yeah I know] So, finding the accommodation 7hrs later in the suburbs of Zurich was a bit of a mission: Dusk. Jetlagged. Ended up following the Trams..... later, the beer in the bar tasted extra good!

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:29 PM, StreetCowboy said:

Depends on the functions (training, partner) and screens you use (e.g. coloured constantly moving map needs more power than the screen with black/white info).
When I'm on tour I mostly need the map, then the battery is good for about 7 to 8 hours but when you set the system on really power saving (non-)functions it lasts for 10 hours, sometimes even more.
You can find everything you need to know about this and most other issues in the Garmin Edge forums (https://www.google.de/search?source=hp&q=garmin+edge+forum&oq=garmin+edge+forum&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i22i30k1l8.935.4775.0.5326.18.14.0.0.0.0.473.2302.3-4j2.6.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..12.6.2299.0...0.-tFRdjpZQyM).