Phuket’s ‘intelligent’ traffic cameras too efficient for printing tickets

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

This is how it works in Western Australia. 

If you don't pay your infringement notices, further penalties can be imposed, including:

• additional costs
  • suspension of driver's licence
  • suspension of vehicle licence
  • immobilisation of your vehicle
  • seizure and sale of your property and
  • publication of your name on a website.

I've seen truckies pulled up on remote highways, informed their license was suspended some time previously, then arrested to appear before a court for driving without a license. They have to arrange for another driver to collect their vehicle.

I don't advocate such draconian measures here, but surely something could be done to follow-up in the interests of road safety education.

Yes, more should be done.

Does any of your points address my post, where I say I seem to recall it has been deemed illegal here?

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, more should be done.

Does any of your points address my post, where I say I seem to recall it has been deemed illegal here?

Yes, I'm addressing the fact, you illustrated, that it is illegal to take further action to collect fines here, by giving an example of what can be done (albeit a bit over the top) by changing the law to prevent this mockery of having infringement cameras without any enforcement.

I have maintained from the beginning that traffic light cameras in Phuket and

Pattaya would pay for themselves in the first week of operation. Of course

you may have to wait to get paid.  But as long as offenders cannot renew vehicle

insurance/licence plates or drivers licence while you have outstanding

tickets the government will eventually collect. This issue of not printing tickets

because of the cost is just screams Thianess.

42 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I have maintained from the beginning that traffic light cameras in Phuket and

Pattaya would pay for themselves in the first week of operation. Of course

you may have to wait to get paid.  But as long as offenders cannot renew vehicle

insurance/licence plates or drivers licence while you have outstanding

tickets the government will eventually collect. This issue of not printing tickets

because of the cost is just screams Thianess.

In theory you are correct. But you are assuming folks do actually renew their road tax or even have a DL.   Plenty of bikes with no rear plate. The whole system is so ineffective they will never collect the fine money until they tighten up who is the real owner and is that their current address. Many people don't bother changing name/address in book to save the transfer tax.