Check Out 50+ Craft Brews At Bangkok Beer Fest

snoop1130

Check Out 50+ Craft Brews At Bangkok Beer Fest

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

OASIS1-696x464.jpg

Oasis Creative Market. Photo: Show DC / Facebook

BANGKOK — Oktoberfest is coming early to Bangkok.

The inaugural Bangkok Beer Fest will pop up in a Rama IX-area garden with more than 50 local and international brands of beer paired with games and live music.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/events/2017/08/16/check-50-craft-brews-bangkok-beer-fest/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-8-16

Is this just another  "HI-SO" type event for wealthy beer drinkers.   The last time I toured around the micro breweries around Sukhumvit I found the craft or micro beers to be the most expensive beers I have ever encountered.  Some actually approaching $20 (u.s.) a pint.   B250-B400 seemed to be the average for a glass of micro brew.  Is this pricing due to taxes that the government places on alcohol producers or just another example of these breweries wanting to attract only the wealthy members of the beer loving fraternity?  Having been spoiled by the prices of pints of micro-brews in the U.S. the prices here in Bangkok actually are a deterrent to enjoying these fine brews.

I truly believe most micro brewers would love to make their beers available to a wider public by offering lower prices. Unfortunately, there are some b*llshit laws in place in Thailand prohibiting smaller brewers from legally brewing and selling their product (I believe you're only allowed to brew beer in excess of 100,000 liters per year in order to receive a permit, could be wrong on the exact number though). 

It's a damn shame too, since Thailand has some extremely talented brewers. As pointed out by another poster, these brewers are now forced to operate their breweries abroad (some are located in Cambodia, Vietnam and Australia) just to be able to perform their craft. When they import their beers into Thailand, they're slapped with ridiculous import taxes resulting in the rather high prices.