Africans caught with $2 million in fake banknotes

geovalin

Phnom Penh Municipal Court will today continue questioning two foreigners recently arrested while in possession of $2 million worth of counterfeit $100 banknotes. Sok Chantha, a police officer with the Interior Ministry’s central security department, identified the suspects as Kamara Abdul, 36, from Sierra Leone, and Davidson Alphonson, 48, from Libya.

Mr Chantha said the two men were arrested on Monday after police raided their rented condo in Tuol Sangke I commune. “They are foreigners who have been making counterfeit money and were involved in money laundering and have been hiding in Cambodia,” Mr Chantha said.

Mr Chantha said police confiscated a money printing machine along with more than $2 million in $100 banknotes from the condo. A clerk with the court confirmed that the two suspects were being questioned yesterday, but had not yet been formally charged. The clerk said the pair will again be questioned today.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5078531/foreigners-caught-2-million-fake-banknotes/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 17/08

An American expat friend of mine who Lives in Pattaya, goes to Phnom Pehn  once or twice a year (by air) for a 'Change of pace'........... Once a year or so ago he came back with a pack of (50 or maybe 100) US$100 bills and as we were having a lunch with some friends he showed one of them to us and we were impressed how good they looked........... but then he told about buying the whole pack of them from a sidewalk vendor for just a couple dollars.......... He had no intent to pass them as cash but just bought them for novelty.......... He about wet his pants when I pointed out that if he had been caught by 'Customs' as he entered Thailand, what a mess of trouble he would have been.......... He hadn't even thought of that......LOL.........

On 2017-08-17 at 2:55 PM, sawadeeken said:

An American expat friend of mine who Lives in Pattaya, goes to Phnom Pehn  once or twice a year (by air) for a 'Change of pace'........... Once a year or so ago he came back with a pack of (50 or maybe 100) US$100 bills and as we were having a lunch with some friends he showed one of them to us and we were impressed how good they looked........... but then he told about buying the whole pack of them from a sidewalk vendor for just a couple dollars.......... He had no intent to pass them as cash but just bought them for novelty.......... He about wet his pants when I pointed out that if he had been caught by 'Customs' as he entered Thailand, what a mess of trouble he would have been.......... He hadn't even thought of that......LOL.........

Sound like you have a very smart friend. Grown up and buying counterfeit money just for saving, novelty with no intention to use them. Take another story, please!

On 8/17/2017 at 7:55 PM, sawadeeken said:

they sell them here to use in the temples, they arent illegal, they have the word "copy" in very small writing on them. the locals are familiar with them but I have been given them as change from restaurants etc. its pretty stupid but thats the way it is. you have to be very careful to check all your $100 and $50 notes here. there are many other fakes circulating as well

Edited by phycokiller