Bringing My Thai Girlfriend to Hungary?

Hey guys,

I realise this may not be the best place to ask since I'm technically asking about Hungarian visas for Thai peope, but I'd really appreciate some direction on this.

My education visa runs out in 9 months and I plan to head to Hungary, Budapest to settle down for a year or so. What are the chances that she would be able to obtain a visa and come with me for that period of time? She's fresh out of university and doesn't have a lot of money. (I would be supporting her financially.)

Is this realistic or will she have a hard time getting a visa? What kind of visa would even be required?

Thanks,

Lewis.

What is your nationality? Hungary is in the EU and a Schengen state, so if you are an EU national, but not Hungarian, it may make things easier; provided the Hungarian government considered her to be your unmarried partner.

Have a look through the following from the Hungarian government:

Useful information

Welcome to our Consular Service site! Here you can find useful information on conditions of entry, visa agreements, consular fees, and legal regulations.

ENTRY FOR LONG STAY (period exceeding 90 days)

I've asked the mods to move this to the Visas and migration to other countries forum, where those more knowledgeable than I are more likely to see it and respond.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm British. Did some investigating about a partner visa but I can't find much. At least nothing I could make out from that PDF.

Could still use some help if anyone would be so kind.

(Yep, I visited last month and I loved it. Can't wait to settle there until Brexit ruins my life :P)

1 hour ago, lewis91 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm British. Did some investigating about a partner visa but I can't find much. At least nothing I could make out from that PDF.

Could still use some help if anyone would be so kind.

(Yep, I visited last month and I loved it. Can't wait to settle there until Brexit ruins my life :P)

As a British citizen you are currently also an EEA national, which means you have treaty rights in all other EEA states, which includes the right to live and work there.

If you are exercising a treaty right in another member state then your qualifying non EEA national family members have the right to live there with you. Unmarried partners are qualifying family members, but each member state has their own definition of unmarried partner. For example, the UK's definition is living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the past two years. I'm afraid I don't know Hungary's definition.

Do you and your girlfriend live together? If so, how long have you done so and do you have evidence, such as letters, bills etc. addressed to each or both of you, covering the required period to show it?

Of course, what the position of British citizens and their non EEA national family members in other EEA states will be post Brexit is anyone's guess.

If your girlfriend does not qualify as your unmarried partner, then she will need to apply for and obtain Hungarian residence in her own right.

My friend is from the US took his tgf to Hungary and Czech Republic last year. He used an agent and was successful. I am not endorsing using agents but they helped him out. Noteworthy to say his gf has no job or money. I'll pm you the agent link.