Aeon Atm's: Good Yet Bad

I was very pleased to find an ATM that would dispense more than 20,000 baht at a time. My bank charges a fee for each withdrawal so if I wanted more than 20,000 I had to make 2 or 3 withdrawals which means I had to pay the bank fee 2 or 3 times. So I decided to try the AEON bank, which is located next to the movie theater in Tesco, and to my surprise I was able to withdrawal 40,000 baht in one transaction.

So when the money came out, I took it and stood there and counted it making sure all the 40k was there. While I was doing this my card popped out and the machine was beeping waiting for me to take my card. Before I finished counting the machine just took the card back in and I thought no big deal, it thinks I want another transaction.

I was wrong, it is a security measure so that if someone forgets to take their card it takes it so that someone else cannot get their hands on it. So I think no big deal. Wrong again.

After talking to the manager and many people at their headquarters in BKK, their policy (which was repeated to me about 50 times) is that they destroy all cards that their ATM's keep, no exceptions. I even offered to wait till the next time they refilled the machine with cash, bring my passport to prove it is mine and then they give it to me. No dice. There is no way for me to get that card back. Luckily I have a spare but if I didn't I would have to wait for quite a while till a replacement arrived.

So on one hand, the AEON ATM is good because it distributes more than 20k but bad if you don't grab your card right away. I would say it was about 20 to 25 seconds before it sucked it back in.

Mafaso

Siam Commercial Bht 200,000.00 a day (20,000.00 increments). You have to set this up at the bank first.As for foreign transactions,depends on what limits are set by your home bank.

Siam Commercial Bht 200,000.00 a day (20,000.00 increments). You have to set this up at the bank first.As for foreign transactions,depends on what limits are set by your home bank.

That's the problem, my bank charges me 200 baht per 20k increment. That is the AEON ATM is better, I can take it all at once and just get charged the 200 baht one time.

That's the problem, my bank charges me 200 baht per 20k increment. That is the AEON ATM is better, I can take it all at once and just get charged the 200 baht one time.

Are you using a foreign card?

Are you using a foreign card?

Yes, it is an ATM card from a bank in the US.